OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I spent 2 hours yesterday within a 15 foot radius of where the coins were. Nothing. Nada.

I am just getting used to the VDI numbers. I look at the bars to see if there is a single bar (or spaced close together) I read that is a good thing. I notice the icon. I scan from different angles to see if the icon changes. If it jumps around for bottle cap, to $1, to foil, to ring, etc. I figure it is not a good target. I also listen to see if the tone is broken up or scratchy. I hear that is not a good thing. If it a good clean signal when swept from different directions, single or closely spaced tall bars, icon stays consistent, I'll definitely dig it. Other more iffy signals, I sort of make a spot decision to dig or not.

After finding the gold coins, I couldn't tell you what the VDI numbers were, what the icon was, what color the sky was. I had trouble remembering my name. If somebody else can find 2 gold coins at one time and tell you what their screen information was, they are a better man than I am.

Today I plan to use the 11"x14" DD Deepscan coil to cover as much ground as I can. If you never hear from me again on the forum. I got a good signal, dug a big deep hole, found a jar full of gold coins, bills, rings, etc. and keeled over in the hole. Not to be continued.

Daryl

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
Wow Daryl, Holy Moly! Hope you find something else today before the sale. What a great story and it just goes to show you that treasures can be anywhere!
HH
Mark G

fd3615

Jan 25, 2007
California - Solano County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 Probe
great writting.... good luck on the last search keep us posted with pics.. even your meager finds so we know you are for real... or if nothing else just like us..

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Oh, I am nothing like the rest of you. I am much worse. If you dig more crap than me. We need to talk.

Here is the treasure from the site yesterday. 9 hours of swinging.

Daryl

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 7,784

cream43

Jan 3, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Man o Man, I'm still waiting for that day when a GOLD coin comes to visit. Congrads, nice job and Keep it up. Where some depends or something...ha
Wisconsin Kid

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you kidding me!!! ???

The person who dropped those must have been Bill Gates rich. I don't know if that tree would hold me, I get giddy just finding a common date wheat penny. I can't imagine if I found a Gold Lady let alone two in the same hole. I am only 27 but i am sure my heart would fail for a moment or two. Thats just insane, one for best finds for sure. WTG...Oh I love the Rooster.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BioProfessor said:
Oh, I am nothing like the rest of you. I am much worse. If you dig more crap than me. We need to talk.

Here is the treasure from the site yesterday. 9 hours of swinging.

Daryl

Whaddya mean crap? Why, there's a perfectly good nail set and an "Erie Dearie" trolling spinner that just needs a bit of spit and polish to be good as new. I got stuff in my tackle box right now twice as rusty as that one.

You get all the good stuff. ;)

Besides. If you don't turn another coin for a year and six months you go nothing to complain about after two gold coins in one lifetime day. :D

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as SOMEONE is finding gold, there's still hope for us all. . .

Really nice! ;)
watercolor

P.S. . . . and if you find a mason jar full of double-eagles next week, just post a pic of one of them with a smiley-face wink (the IRS loves to hunt for treasures also!)

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
The moral here is that the best chance one has of finding valuable targets, now that public areas such as schoolyards and parks have been hunted repeatedly and picked clean, is totry to get access to private property. There are countless old homes, farms, etc. that harbor old, valuable items, but permission is necessary to recover them. While beach hunting is still productive, many heavily used beaches are raked by machine on a frequent basis, thereby removing many, often most, of the good jewelry and older coins. While I would be more inclined to dig questionable signals on older sites or at beaches, the "dig everything" philosophy is, I believe, impractical, as 99.9999 percent of junk signals on the DFX (I am using the DFX as an example because I own one and consider myself to be an experienced user after hunting with it for five years now) do, in fact, indicate real junk - foil, pull tabs, etc. Exhaustion will quickly result. Again, the finding of two gold coins together is a wonderful occurrence, putting my own finds of the past few days to shame by comparison. But note again that the lucky finder (congratulations, incidentally!) was hunting on private property. And that, to paraphrase Robert Frost, makes all the difference.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That other stuff is typical of everyones day, Professor.

Most of us dig all good signals anyway, and some iffy ones.

If you have an interest in learning inside story about the DFX, go to.

www.fielddepth.com Get the book, Digging Deeper with the DFX, by Jeff Foster.

It'll clear up the picture and get you deeper in the ground.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG! :o What fantastic finds!!!! :o

Many congrats to you! Are you back from your hunt for today, or did you keel over into the hole? :D

Gosh.....what some finds! 8)

Nana :)

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I would galdly dig a ton of junk to find two gold coins. LOL Nice finds. The rest of us will be dreaming of our day.... Congrats on the super finds.

Ray S. :o

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bookfisher said:
CONGRATULATIONS ON FINDING NOT ONE GOLD COIN - BUT TWO! AS A PERSON WHO KNOWS THE FEELING OF FINDING A GOLD COIN, LET ME SAY WELCOME TO THE GOLD COIN CLUB! I FOUND MY COIN ON MARCH 23rd, 2006. IT'S AN 1825 GEORGE IV BARE HEAD GOLD SOVEREIGN, THOUGH I LIKE YOUR COINS BETTER! AGAIN, CONGRATULATIONS, IT'S DAY YOU'LL NEVER FORGET. ALSO, I'M SURE W&E TREASURES WILL WANT TO INCLUDE THOSE COINS IN THE BEST FINDS OF 2007 ISSUE.
I Agree with Bookfisher, I hope you are going to send your coin finds to Western & Eastern Treasure Magazine for there finds of the year. I'm sure they will be interested in your story also. You will definitely be included in the Gold Finds of the year.

Congrats to you both on your Gold Coin finds. I have not found one yet, but I've only been detecting for 23 years. Hopefully I will find my Gold coin my next hunt.

Some guys have never found a Silver Dollar and I have found 3 of them with my last one being found Jan. 11, 2007. So Who's to say a gold coin isn't coming my way. LOL

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
I have ordered and received "Digging Deeper with the DFX." I haven't had a chance to read it. I'm still working on the instruction manual that came with the machine. Maybe this weekend I can take some time to read a little.

Some people asked what the VDI numbers were and I said I couldn't remember my name at the time. Sooo. I took the coins out today to rescan them and see what the VDI would say. I was using the 4"x6" DD Shooter coil. I put the DFX on the "Coin" program that comes with the machine. The Half Eagle $5 read right on the money - 53. Of course the icon said "Bottlecap." Oh well. When I scanned the Quarter Eagle, surprise!! NO SIGNAL. NO SIGNAL. Are you kidding me. This is an air test with only an inch or two above the coil. And to top it off, the signal on the Half Eagle was garbled. Broken up just like a rusty nail or piece of can.

I switched to the program I was using, the "Coin and Jewelry" setting. This time both coins gave a good clean signal and the VDI was right on the money - no pun intended. Low fifties for the Half Eagle, mid thirties of the Quarter.

I am back from hunting the farm today. I wasn't finding anything but junk. I found no other old coins. None. No wheat pennies, no V nickles, no indian heads, nothing. I just don't understand. Well I guess I need to move on to a new place.

Daryl

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Smokes,
Those coins don't even look like they have been in circulation.
I have noticed one thing with most of the gold coin finds on TNET and that is that most of the Gold coins don't even look like they have been in circulation, so I guess in most cases they have not and maybe we can all expect a nice gold coin in outstanding condition.
One could only hope for such fantastic finds as yours.
Congratualions and Way to go Bio.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Well, that machine sure got a good christening ! Couldn't have happend to a nicer fellow and glad your excercise regiment paid off :)

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, AWSOME!

I agree, it's the repeated-consistant signals that even if you think are junk can produce. My Garrett is great at telling me that too, I dig what tells me is junk, and it is just that. As long as it's a definate tone even if it's a bit broken-up, I dig it.

yet, still the old gold hides on me. :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread