Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree641Likes

Thread: Fantastic Bayonet found at our school!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Joe

Nov 2014
    VA
    Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
    4972 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugio View Post
    This is my first post on T-net. Just wanted to say this thread inspired me to stop skulking around this site everyday and finally sign up! What a wonderful thing you are doing with these children. Getting kids really engaged and excited about our history is what this country needs more of. Keep up the phenomenal work.

I have to add: the kindness, generosity and support shown by all members of this site is astonishing and like nothing I have ever seen. I am proud to be a new member.
    Well said. Welcome aboard

HH, Relic Nut
    oxbowbarefoot likes this.

us
    Feb 2016
    New Hampshire
    AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
    162 times
    Quote Originally Posted by relic nut View Post
    Well said. Welcome aboard

HH, Relic Nut
    Thanks Relic Nut, happy to be here.
    relic nut and oxbowbarefoot like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    9880 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugio View Post
    This is my first post on T-net. Just wanted to say this thread inspired me to stop skulking around this site everyday and finally sign up! What a wonderful thing you are doing with these children. Getting kids really engaged and excited about our history is what this country needs more of. Keep up the phenomenal work.

I have to add: the kindness, generosity and support shown by all members of this site is astonishing and like nothing I have ever seen. I am proud to be a new member.
    NH you say...won't be your last post I'll guarantee that!
    ​EVER WONDER WHERE YOUR THOUGHTS COME FROM?

No one can be helped until he understands what he has been doing wrong and wants to change.

How do you know what is right

IF

You don't know what is wrong? Notice I didn't say ​WHO.

http://antidoteforall.com/ ​(Could be what you've been looking for)

us
    Jul 2005
    NY
    Ace 250
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oxbowbarefoot View Post
    If any other teachers out there are interested, I will be developing a curriculum to help guide this class going forward. It will be aligned with Common Core standards and VT State Standards across all subject areas (meaning it will cover content in science, social studies, math and ELA) at all grade levels. I'll be happy to share the curriculum and any lesson plans developed along with it.
    You should make a posting on a site called "Teachers Pay Teachers". You can charge what you like, perhaps only a few dollars, perhaps nothing. Being a former teacher myself, many many more teaching eyes will see it there. It is your intellectual property and its righteous of you to share it to help your peers

Do you have a final picture of the bayonet after stabilization / preservation / cleaning (cringe I don't know it's proper to clean it)? Perhaps I missed it skimming through?
    Last edited by Go Bills; Mar 15, 2016 at 06:32 PM.

us
    May 2011
    MASATHVSETS/Vermont
    XP Deus, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett AT-Pro, Minelab Safari, Pro-pointer
    1605 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Bills View Post
    You should make a posting on a site called "Teachers Pay Teachers". You can charge what you like, perhaps only a few dollars, perhaps nothing. Being a former teacher myself, many many more teaching eyes will see it there. It is your intellectual property and its righteous of you to share it to help your peers

Do you have a final picture of the bayonet after stabilization / preservation / cleaning (cringe I don't know it's proper to clean it)? Perhaps I missed it skimming through?
    Thanks for the tip. I've use TPT for other lessons and units I've created in the past. I'm still working on developing the curriculum for it, last summer was a little too busy to sit down and map it out.

Additionally, we recently received a lot of new information on our Bayonet that we will be posting soon (I want the students to help write it up, as this was a school find and not a personal one). Check back in a few days for the updates!

Kindle Farm School

Sep 2014
    Vermont
    246 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Update: 3/31/16

A couple weeks ago we received and e-mail from Joe Serbaroli, author of European Bayonets of the American Civil War: A Guide to the Imported Bayonets of the Union and Confederacy, Including American-made Bayonets for Foreign Arms. He was able to provide some fantastic new information on our bayonet. While we received great information from members here and through our own research, Mr. Serbaroli offered some corrections and additions.

Our bayonet was manufactured in the city of Liege, in modern day Belgium between 1760 and 1780. Liege was one of the major arms manufacturing centers servicing many European powers and also private merchants. He was able to date the bayonet as being made after 1750 because the mortise (slot) has a 3rd step, as opposed to only 2 steps. The 3rd step or leg was an improvement first noted on French bayonets in the 1750's. A similar example to this Liege-made bayonet was excavated at Fort Ligonier, but has a 2-step mortise typical of the French & Indian War era. This particular bayonet might have been either issued to American colonial troops rather than British regulars during the French and Indian Wars; or it may also have been smuggled in during the American Revolution by a merchant. If it was smuggled in, it would have shipped from Amsterdam or Rotterdam and arrived in Portsmouth, NH as part of the business operations of smugglers like Patriot John Hancock. Once in the colonies, the serial number would have been hand engraved. The D would likely be the company number, and the N 826 would have been the weapon number.
    Since our school is situated on a mid-1700's home site first owned by former New Hampshire settlers with a military background, the bayonet probably saw service during the American Revolution. This is not to say it was used in battle, but it would have been in the militia inventory and assigned to a militiaman.

We are currently in the process of building a display case to exhibit the bayonet and other finds from our area.

Also, with the start of 4th Quarter, the Treasure Hunting Class will once again be out in force! We will provide weekly updates of our finds, so stay tuned!
    Last edited by Kindle Farmers; May 11, 2016 at 08:10 AM.

Kindle Farm School

Sep 2014
    Vermont
    246 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    We started a display case to exhibit some of out finds. Hopefully we will be able to fill a few this year!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0251.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	1298174
    relic nut and DocBeav like this.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2013
    NJ
    BH Tracker IV, Fisher F22, Garrett Pro Pointer
    179 times
    Coin roll searching, MD'ing, gemstone & fossil shark tooth hunting, and drag racing
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindle Farmers View Post
    Update: 3/31/16

A couple weeks ago we received and e-mail from Joe Serbaroli, author of European Bayonets of the American Civil War: A Guide to the Imported Bayonets of the Union and Confederacy, Including American-made Bayonets for Foreign Arms. He was able to provide some fantastic new information on our bayonet. While we received great information from members here and through our own research, Mr. Serbaroli offered some corrections and additions.

Our bayonet was manufactured in the city of Liege, in modern day Belgium between 1760 and 1780. Liege was one of the major arms manufacturing centers servicing many European powers. He was able to date the bayonet as being made after 1750 because is contains a third Mortis (notch on the socket), which was invented in France in the 1750's. Similar examples were excavated at Fort Ligonier. This particular bayonet would have been issued to American colonial troops rather than British regulars during the French and Indian Wars. It would have likely shipped from Amsterdam or Rotterdam and arrived in Portsmouth, NH as part of the business operations of Patriot John Hancock, probably by merchant Bomar Shea(sic). Once in NH, the serial number would have been hand engraved. The D would be the company number, and the N 826 would have been the weapon number.
    Since our school is situated on a mid-1700's home site first owned by former New Hampshire settlers with a military background, the bayonet very likely saw use during the French and Indian Wars and possibly the Revolution. This is not to say it was used in battle, but it would have been in the militia inventory and assigned to a militiaman.

We are currently in the process of building a display case to exhibit the bayonet and other finds from our area.

Also, with the start of 4th Quarter, the Treasure Hunting Class will once again be out in force! We will provide weekly updates of our finds, so stay tuned!
    Wow! That's some crazy amount of detail he provided! Great to know it likely had some significance for a colonist.

And congrats for the banner thread designation!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links