🥇 BANNER Bottle with a note inside 5 to 6 inches deep in the ground.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a UV light to the Butchers' Daily Report and all the pages are dated 1908. One was February 15 ,1908 .
They had stock numbers and i will just list one because it would take to long.
stock no.159 Beef Steak 56 , Beef to boil 56 ,chopped beef 3 ,soup bones 131 ,beef steak 214 .

At the bottom of the sheet 216 soup bones veal roast 141 , 22 veal cutlets ,
soup bones 131 , beef steak 214 , beef to boil 186 chopped beef 3
An other order was 8 pork roast.
9 mutton roast some ordered tallow and bones 11 .
At the bottom of an other sheet
570 beef steaks 219 beef roast 420 beef to boil 141 veal roast 22 veal cutlets ,pork roast 8 ,mutton roast 9 tallow 47 and bones 42.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
looks like a note written by a poor black man detailing a possible murder ..the writer is penning it --as written "evidence" if he was to meet with foul play due to what he knew ... likely he left a note in a sealed envelope with a trusted friend that was to be opened only if something happened to him or if he just "disappeared" that told where to find the "note in the bottle" ...it seems to say that Rolland came to him crying about how "greenhorn" wanted to throw him out of work and take his house ( likely they worked at the slaughter house and lived in "company" housing )--likely Rolland was a number 2 man and greenhorn wanted him --out of the way --Rolland had a plan get rid of greenhorn --so he would be the BOSS man --i'll fix it -- likely the writer wanted no part in it but had no choice be with them or else ..so they made him stay in the log cabin where they could see him as they lay in wait to ambush greenhorn and if not they would shoot him with the 38 ..afterwards ..he fled and wrote this down so if they changed their minds and decided to quiet the only witness that might talk ..that he would "speak from the grave" so to say

there is talk of a anti rackets lawyer ..likely the man he would want the note taken to ...to see that justice was done..in event that anything should happen to him

Last edited:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow this is pretty cool on so many levels and glad to see all of the research being done. Take care & be safe in TX.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Such an interesting find and mystery!

Here are a couple of tidbits and some supposition to add to the mix:

The receipts may be from the old slaughterhouse which was part of the Quarry Hill hospital community. The writer may have found them while he was 'hiding out' and looking for a way to document his dilemma.

If the bottle is 1935 era it maybe from the time CCC camp 1774 was located in Rochester:

“Company 1774-V was established in June 1933. Its first assignment was to build its headquarters – a
CCC camp at Sand Lake about 14 miles north of Virginia. The company engaged in forest protection
work until April 1934 when it was moved to a CCC camp at the county fairgrounds in Rochester and
began soil conservation work. The company remained at Rochester until late spring 1939.”

1774 was a "veteran camp". Veterans of what, I'm not sure... But they seem to have come from somewhere else. Maybe Bramblefind’s Iowa connection?

As best I can tell, the fairgrounds were not far from the Quarry Hill hospital.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you just nailed it, Matt. Was coming to the same conclusion myself.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Preservationists determined to save Olmsted County Fair's Floral Hall | Archives | thelandonline.com

"Back in the 1930s the Olmsted County Fairgrounds in Rochester served as a Civilian Conservation Corps camp. The CCC was open to unmarried men between the ages of 18 and 25 who were U.S. citizens and whose fathers were unemployed."

The fairgrounds are about 3 miles from the area of the old hospital if you "walk smart" and cut across instead of taking the main roads.

olmsted county fairgrounds.JPG

Last edited:

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the area of the hospital community on a 1928 map:

View attachment 1488582

MNLoonybin.JPG

(Map Double Posted to make it appear)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hospital map is an Invalid attachment?

That pretty well wraps it up for me, then. I feel confident that the men from the notes were from the CCC camp there at the fairgrounds. Good work, Matt! :occasion14:

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
In the 1930 census Frank Hubachek (the same as had the saloon in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin in 1907) was living with his wife and children & farming in North Dakota.

Frank Hubachek

VIEW 1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Frank Hubachek
Birth Year: abt 1877
Race: White
Birthplace: Iowa
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Home in 1930: Bingham, Traill, North Dakota, USA
Map of Home: View Map
Dwelling Number: 50
Family Number: 50
Home Owned or Rented: Rented
Home Value: 11200
Radio Set: No
Lives on Farm: Yes
Age at First Marriage: 28
Attended School: No
Able to Read and Write: Yes
Father's Birthplace: Bohemia
Mother's Birthplace: Bohemia
Language Spoken: Slovak
Able to Speak English: Yes
Industry: Farming
Class of Worker: Wage or salary worker
Employment: Yes
Household Members:
Name Age
Frank Hubachek 53 (born Iowa)
Marry Hubachek 46 (born Iowa)
Clarence Hubachek 24 (born Iowa)
Louis Hubachek 22 (born Wisconsin)
Anto Hubachek 17 (born Wisconsin)
Ernest Hubachek 15 (born Wisconsin)
Albert Hubachek 13 (born Wisconsin)

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
info from a geocache site
Human History:
For almost 100 years, the land now referred to as Quarry Hill Park was owned and operated by the Rochester State Hospital; used as a worksite for many of the patients that farmed the land, mined the quarry, along with many other tasks. In 1885 the quarry opened up in order to provide Platteville limestone for the construction of many of the State Hospital buildings. This limestone was valued for its ability to resist erosion and yet remained relatively easy to cut into block or more elaborate carvings. As the State Hospital and Quarry Buildings were completed (Farmstead, Soaphouse, Slaughterhouse, Bridge, Poultry House, Fireplace and several others), the quarry served as a source of income for the hospital as limestone was sold to the community.
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache...ill?guid=722c0b20-26fe-43dc-9d38-9f0b045259e3

rogerdoger maybe you can find one of these
https://www.terapeak.com/worth/rochester-mn-brass-ccc-10-cent-token-camp-1074-vcc/222201089637/

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i was wondering about the poor black man too
does it say in a census for any of the names in the note

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
info from a geocache site
[FONT=&]Human History:[/FONT]
[FONT=&]For almost 100 years, the land now referred to as Quarry Hill Park was owned and operated by the Rochester State Hospital; used as a worksite for many of the patients that farmed the land, mined the quarry, along with many other tasks. In 1885 the quarry opened up in order to provide Platteville limestone for the construction of many of the State Hospital buildings. This limestone was valued for its ability to resist erosion and yet remained relatively easy to cut into block or more elaborate carvings. As the State Hospital and Quarry Buildings were completed (Farmstead, Soaphouse, Slaughterhouse, Bridge, Poultry House, Fireplace and several others), the quarry served as a source of income for the hospital as limestone was sold to the community.
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache...ill?guid=722c0b20-26fe-43dc-9d38-9f0b045259e3

rogerdoger maybe you can find one of these
https://www.terapeak.com/worth/rochester-mn-brass-ccc-10-cent-token-camp-1074-vcc/222201089637/
[/FONT]

Haha! Yup. I didn't find that one (although I've met the cache owner, ArcherDragoon) but I did find another nearby geocache in 2009: https://coord.info/GC14DMM

I don't know how much non-members are able to see on a cache page, but there are pictures of the blasting cap building and the powder storage building in the gallery of that geocache.

(I see now that there are also pictures on the Earthcache that you linked to)

Dynamite "shack"
792330e5-133d-4073-bbad-41d70802236f_l.jpg

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a book called "Cucamonga Valley Wine: The Lost Empire of American Winemaking" (Copyright 2017) which, on pg 49 confirms the bottle is no older than 1929. I found similar info in one of the bottle forums. This tells us the notes are written on old papers found by the writer.

I'm now trying to connect any of the names to CCC camp 1774.

It seems there were a couple of somewhat famous Frank Hubachek's fron that area. I believe Bramblefind has them covered. can't yet connect them to the CCC.

The Frank Hubachek in the recent census post is too old for the CCC, but Anton is the right age.

Fun stuff!

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How badly do you want to know this story?

I found the CCC personel records... on micro-film in the National Archives. They are not available on-line. The only way to get them is by submitting a request form.

I believe there is enough information in this thread to submit a request for Anton Hubachek. NARA will do the search based on the request and respond to the request ONLY if they locate a record.

Research

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious where you get that part from. You're at least the second person to say that. What am I missing?

My first impression when reading the notes were that of a black man writing it as well. Its the tone and voice in the writing. He basically wrote the note in the same way he spoke. "So he be boss" This was and still is something i hear in the south..."i be doing this..i be doing that" it is rare for white people to speak in that way. When he talks about his fear of having his head smashed with a rock...again, white people would not waste a bullet on a black man back then. Black people in those days got their heads smashed with rocks all the time. More so than whites.

Just my cents here.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How badly do you want to know this story?

I found the CCC personel records... on micro-film in the National Archives. They are not available on-line. The only way to get them is by submitting a request form.

I believe there is enough information in this thread to submit a request for Anton Hubachek. NARA will do the search based on the request and respond to the request ONLY if they locate a record.

Research

Fee schedule: Five and fewer pages is $25.00; Over five pages is $70.00. It should be noted that most CCC records are more than five pages so the requester can generally expect a fee of $70.00. Do not send a fee with your request! You will be notified, if information was located and the amount of the fee.
I'd be glad to chip in, if necessary. Not sure how we would go about that, though.

Of course, that still would not be likely to get us THIS story, but it would be more information, for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread