🥇 BANNER Bottle with a note inside 5 to 6 inches deep in the ground.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
We still don't know anything at all about YOHEDRICK, do we? Google has turned up nothing for me using multiple variations on spelling. I agree with some that have said that it seems to be used as a place, not a person (frequent references to IN Yohedrick). Has anyone gotten anywhere with that?

I think it is the surname "Zahradnik" which is also a Linn Co. Iowa family name. See my post #190.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this says a c.c.c. camp was @ the fairgrounds in rochester
and the hall was built by the camp
Preservationists determined to save Olmsted County Fair's Floral Hall | Archives | thelandonline.com

Did you notice this little bit towards the bottom of that page?

Bisel would like to hear from any readers who were part of the CCC camp at the Olmsted County Fairgrounds. She can be contacted at [email protected].

She may not only be interested in this mystery, but may have some information concerning some of the people we've been talking about! Who wants to email her? Do you think we're ready to yet?

[EDIT: I have emailed her as of 8/31. Please don't anybody else do it now... we certainly don't want to deluge her with emails!]

Last edited:

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you notice this little bit towards the bottom of that page?

She may not only be interested in this mystery, but may have some information concerning some of the people we've been talking about! Who wants to email her? Do you think we're ready to yet?
I cannot imagine anyone not having some curiosity on this matter as it is interesting as he! $. This person might give some information that breaks it open and a clear vision as to what this is all about. Enjoy all the updates and great stuff everyone. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We still don't know anything at all about YOHEDRICK, do we? Google has turned up nothing for me using multiple variations on spelling. I agree with some that have said that it seems to be used as a place, not a person (frequent references to IN Yohedrick). Has anyone gotten anywhere with that?

Another mystery, to me, at least, is the apparent dates scattered here and there. 1936, 1900-1910, 1895-1899, and 1896

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is the surname "Zahradnik" which is also a Linn Co. Iowa family name. See my post #190.

OK, I went back and took a better look, and I can see where you're coming from now. At the time, I just saw a vaguely similar name found about 200 miles away in Iowa, where the notes gave us no reason to look. But I can see how the Y could be a Z and how some of the other letters in the cursive script could be misread, and the connection to Anton Holets makes it hard to ignore.

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Another mystery, to me, at least, is the apparent dates scattered here and there. 1936, 1900-1910, 1895-1899, and 1896

I don't know why the 1936 date and the bottle dating to that era but the other dates make sense to me in that circa 1900-1910 is when Frank Hubachek had his saloon in Chippewa Falls. He left Iowa about 1905 and was in Wisconsin until around 1920 but did not have the saloon in the 1910 census. So I think he had the saloon approximately 1905-1910.

The 1895-1898 dating I think is indicating that Frank Rolland and Frank Hubachek were somehow associated with Anton Holets' farm. In the 1895 Iowa census Frank Hubachek is living next door to Anton Holets and his father's farm. I think Anton Holets' father died not too long after that census was taken and it then became his farm. Perhaps Frank Rolland was a farmhand there sometime around 1895-1898. But unfortunately I have not been able to place him there yet with any references.

I think this all comes back to Linn Co. Iowa somehow.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a problem.

The CCC was for single men only, was it not? If that is true, then we seem to have a problem here:

ROLLAND GIRL, ZAHRADNIK WIFE, JOE HOLETS WIFE
HOUSE TOO ALL WERE READY TO DRIVE ME IN THERE OR
SMASH MY HEAD WITH A ROCK IF ROLLAND NOT GET BE BOSS

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know why the 1936 date and the bottle dating to that era but the other dates make sense to me in that circa 1900-1910 is when Frank Hubachek had his saloon in Chippewa Falls. He left Iowa about 1905 and was in Wisconsin until around 1920 but did not have the saloon in the 1910 census. So I think he had the saloon approximately 1905-1910.

The 1895-1898 dating I think is indicating that Frank Rolland and Frank Hubachek were somehow associated with Anton Holets' farm. In the 1895 Iowa census Frank Hubachek is living next door to Anton Holets and his father's farm. I think Anton Holets' father died not too long after that census was taken and it then became his farm. Perhaps Frank Rolland was a farmhand there sometime around 1895-1898. But unfortunately I have not been able to place him there yet with any references.

I think this all comes back to Linn Co. Iowa somehow.
I had noticed the connection to Hubechek's saloon, myself. But I still have to ask, why? Why would he be mentioning those dates at all?

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my most recent transcript (well, not mine, but I've been keeping track of other's suggestions)

Page 1
He just robed me and robed them here too

Page 2
ARTY KENDY
FRANK ROLLAND
BOSS 36
FRANK HUBECHEK
CHIPOWA FALLS
WISCONSIN SALONIST.
----- (divider line drawn on page)
FRANK ROLLAND
FRANK HUBECHECK
ANTON HOLETS
FARM
----- (divider line drawn on page)
ITS THE ONE
HERE JUST THE SAME TALK SAME GIRL ROBBED ME
AND I LOOKED AT HER

Page 3
WAS GOING TO SHOOT ME WITH A 38 REVOLVER
SO THEY MAKE ME STAND A LOG CABIN ALL DAY AND
IF I DID NOT SO THEY COULD SHOOT ME AT ONCE
ROLLAND IN.
ZAHRADNIK IN

MILK WAGON 1896
YELLING IN ROAD
HE SEE ABOUT IT
I HAD TO GO IN THERE THE NEXT DAY ALL DAY TO (SOP?)

Page 4
ROLLAND GIRL, ZAHRADNIK WIFE, JOE HOLETS WIFE
HOUSE TOO ALL WERE READY TO DRIVE ME IN THERE OR
SMASH MY HEAD WITH A ROCK IF ROLLAND NOT GET BE BOSS

DRUNKS ROLLAND CAME TO LOG CABIN
CRYING ME GREEN HORN WANTED TO STEAL (stash?) HIS COTTAGE AND EVERY THING

Page 5
HE GET TO FIX IT SO HE BE BOSS HERE

THE NEXT DAY HE TOLD THEM ZAHRADNIK HE SEE ABOUT IT
KINDLY FUNNEY ANY WAY

THAT MEANS HE KILLED ME IF THEY COULD
NOT DROVE ME IN THERE THE NIGHT BEFORE
ME HID BY HOUSE SO THEY DIDNT CATCH ME AND KILL ME

Last edited:

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Here are Putnam Township, Linn Co. maps of the area.

I think the first is from about 1895 with Hubachek, Zahradnik and Holets in proximity. The same area circa 1930 on the 2nd map. Anton Holets now has the farm, Zahradnick is still there but Hubachek has left.

Attachments

• tnetbottlemap.jpg
    tnetbottlemap.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 124
  • tnetbottlemap2.jpg
    tnetbottlemap2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 103

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I had noticed the connection to Hubechek's saloon, myself. But I still have to ask, why? Why would he be mentioning those dates at all?

I think the writer is documenting things that went on during that time. But I can't explain the 1930s bottle, the 1936 date or the bottle being buried in Rochester, Minn.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen that token on ebay just a few weeks ago. I think they wanted over $100.00

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe Yo meant hello .He might be talking to a guy named Hedrick.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the writer is documenting things that went on during that time. But I can't explain the 1930's bottle, the 1936 date or the bottle being buried in Rochester, Minn.
I think that bottle was 1936 as that was when the no reuse of the bottle started.
The person wrote on the back of the butchers list dated 1908.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
note writer might have been an employ at state hos. in rochester
i think these are live links

Rochester State Hospital (operated 1879-1982)

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
this might explain the wine bottle,pg has finding aid list too

whoops read it wrong, inebriate treatment ended not started in 1897

An inebriate treatment department was created within the hospital. The Rochester State Hospital opened on January 1, 1879, with patients transferred from St. Peter. In 1897 the inebriate treatment department was abolished and responsibility for inebriate care was transferred to the counties.
Rochester - State Hospitals: Historical Patient Records - LibGuides at Minnesota Historical Society Library

Last edited:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Zahradnik connection is to much to pass over, after Anastasia Zahradnik married Anton Holets, they two of their children Anton and down through more generations the
name Anton was used many times, on both sides Zahradnik and Holets, so Anton must have been a pretty good guy, nobody would name so many kin after a scoundrel.

as for the dates its almost is if he may have been walking through a cemetery reminising, e-mailing that lady and getting her to join the party would be a great idea
i know this would fascinate her and she could shed some light on the history of the ccc.

like i said also from the old asylum cemetery in Quarry hill park there is a greenbelt that follows silver creek over to a very large cemetery named calvary
used to be named St Johns, buried there is a James Zahradnik Sr. his wife is still alive and lives in Rochester, There is also a Marie Diane Holets buried there
she just died in Febuary of this year her husband Joe Holets is still living but im not sure where

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the writer is documenting things that went on during that time. But I can't explain the 1930s bottle, the 1936 date or the bottle being buried in Rochester, Minn.

OK, I just sent off an email to her. I gave her a link to the main story, as well as links to a few of the more pertinent posts, hoping to get her interest piqued.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread