Large hoard found in ashes. UPDATE- Site Pics and watch.

OP
OP
Kas

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Large hoard found in ashes. UPDATE- Site Pics and more coins.

nebstater said:
Kas said:
Found one of the pocket watches today, in more than one piece. Gave it to the new owner, and he gave it to the old owner. He called me back and said they said they didn't want anything else. ;D

Also found 40 more coins in the ash and this little old lock in the yard after a short hunt.

Ken
Hope your luck holds, and you are able to find the other watch, and it is in better shape than the one you found today. What's your running total on coin count so far? Silver?
Man, you have really found a "gold mine". WTG

Total is close to 1,000 coins. Have them all soaking in a bucket of Simple green until the tumbler gets here tomorrow. Silver, 2- 64 halfs are the only ones I could see so far. Coins keep coming up. Wish one of you guys were here to help. You could have whatever you find. I'm tired of digging them out> LOL. Looks like my last good chance to get at this site is tomorrow. It's suppose to get really cold this weekend. The new owner did say he was going to clear off the foundation and pile everything in the corner of the property, and spread it out to dry the ashes? So I'll still be able to get after it when it warms back up.
It will be hillarious some day when a young detector does his research and sees that an old house used to sit on the site, gets permission to hunt the site and finds all those coins in one spot. I'm sure some will get into the ground before and after the ash gets hauled away. The pile is getting spread out over part of the farm field. Good fertilizer. :o

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Hey Ken, I'll bring a crutch and one leg and give you a hand!! *s*

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Hey Kas,

Great finds ;D
You are getting way ahead of me :D

Timberwolf

OP
OP
Kas

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm done with this site for now. Ended up with 1,100 coins. Waiting on a tumbler to come so I can clean them up. The pickin's got real slim so I must have just about everything.

The owner is going to pile the ashes off to the side of the foundation until spring when he can spread them on the farm feild. I may make a big sifter and go back in the spring. Other than that this was a fun one for sure.

Thanks for all the replies.

Ken

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, Congrats Kas !

And Nice Total.

Good Luck In the Sping I'll look forward to the Updates.

JEFF

L

LandStar

HOLY SLAG PILE BATMAN!!!!
Robin!...Grab the blow torch, and a spatula!!!

Nice finds!!!

LandStar

YOGI!

Greenie
Nov 19, 2007
Central Ohio
I didn't see where anyone had mentioned this but for clumps of coins, if you're sure there's no silver the US Treasury, which actually "owns" the currency we use, will take burnt money and currency and determine the type and replace them for you. For example they can determine a nickel from a dime, penny etc and they will replace the money for face value.

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
If the glob is plastic, and matbe even if Not plastic, put it in the freezer overnite. Let it freefe then smack it with a big hammer. Frozen plastic should shatter. Great finds. Gayle

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Nice finds. My 1st thought is if your searching on the foundation the re bar in it will drive you nuts. One of the pics looks like melted aluminum on the coins, a house fire is plenty hot to melt alum. When my business burnt down the composite shingle roof was melting and looked like a waterfall of fire, it was the tar flowing like gasoline aflame. Those shingles are re enforced with fiberglass and itchy. Not so bad on the skin but isn't good for the nose or lungs. You might consider putting the known trash in barrels a little at a time and get it out of your way. If there's trash service there put it at the curb and it will disappear. Luck 2 ya.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for the update and the count! WOW.....this was a fun thread to keep up with and Good Luck to you in the Spring!

HH,
Moon

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!! That must be a great feeling, and you found one of the watches too! I would have thought that all the nails and other junk would give you a problem, but you seem to have beaten the junk.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The ultimate ash cash!!

All the best,

Lanny

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Large hoard found in ashes. UPDATE- Coin count total.

jeff of pa said:
Bottom of Yours

Bottom of Mine
very adept at recognizing details. :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread