"Digging bomb tunnels under enemy trenchs " WW1 1917

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
My experience is along the same lines of the original Medal Find. I do Genealogy & have been since I started MD. STILL have notes in my 4-5 yr old handwriting while with my Grandparents 'Down Home' HA! I guess both hobbies got me interested in the other. Anyway while doing the family history I wanted to have a section with Military History as far back as possible & Family who had served, where, what company or branch & pictures of them & any service Medals they received. I don't know why but one day I had this nagging urge to type my last name on EBay, which normally I would never do as my name is associated with a large company that a lot of people sell items from. That thought would not leave my mind so late that night I did type it in Ebay & what came up on the first page floored me...it was a WW1 Dog Tag that belonged to my G'pa's Uncle who had been killed in the war. The pic of it was there with his name & blood still on it. I contacted the person, told them my story. Showed them proof of who I was & they said they bought it for .10¢ at a Garage Sale!!! They were No Relation by Lineage or Marriage. They didn't offer to return it but did give me a buy it now price??? I probably should not have told them the story because there were No Bids & They Knew I Wanted It. Anyway I paid their BIN Price & now it's back with us.
Same thing but different thought process person happened with a Family Quilt. There were two identical quilts made by the women who were all related in one way or another of this very small town I've spoken of & they were made for my Great Grandmother who was sick...all of the women from the town each made a square & embroidered their name, their husband & children's name, some the date & some where they were living in 1950 when the quilts were done. My Grandmother had a garage sale in the late '70's & got to talking to a woman about Quilting (G'ma had worked with Nelly Don & had a lot of material) TMI? Again. Moving on, she got out one of the family quilts to show this lady, other people started coming in, she got busy & someone stole it! She was sick, we all were...who would steal a FAMILY QUILT??? No way that one could be replaced, all but a few of the people had passed. Fast Forward to 1998. A woman who No One Knew was at a Garage Sale & Rummaging through a pile of blankets & came across this quilt! She bought it after asking the sale people if they intended to sell that quilt. They told her it meant nothing to them, wasn't their family! She bought it. Because the Squares had names embroidered on them she was able to make contact & wanted to get it back to the family especially after being told the story of its disappearance. She wanted NOTHING in return for her super kind gesture, just was happy she could get it Home she said. I have the one safe & sound now & the other is with another family member & will be passed down as soon as I can figure out who will appreciate it & will pass it on to same kind of descendent. Not an Easy Task! My only sadness is G'ma died before the quilt was returned. She never got over it being stolen on her 'Watch'. Do you guys have that issue of who to pass things on to? I'll post pics of both Dog Tag & Quilt when I get where they are. I've found class rings that were engraved with initials & returned them to the person or family if the owner had passed. Wedding Rings/Watches if engraved with the initials & date or Name(s) is an easy search. Everyone but one has offered to pay me, I've not taken it knowing it was the right thing to do & hoping that Good Karma will follow me if I am in that situation & also remembering the Quilt Lady. As G'ma used to say "To Each His Own". You do wonder though, if like me & that Dog Tag...Would Family Pay To Have It Back If Able & Given The Offer or Do They Even Care?? Did they throw it out? My experience is that they were thrilled...except one, to have the item back & never thought they would see it again. I'd like to read more on this topic from you guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions