Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I have very little in the way of black glass. I'm fairly new to bottle digging. I messed around in an old dump from the turn of the century when I was a kid, but forgot about digging bottles until I stumbled on a few nice ones recently. Now I'm trying to get some privy-dig permissions. So hopefully I'll find some keepers soon.

Is there any way to hand-polish out the sickness? I know this would be a lot of work, with some very fine polish, but is this possible? Would something like Soft Scrub be too abrasive--and would it even work in the first place?

Thank you for your replies to my questions.

Regards,

Buckles

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry Pristis said:
I have no experience with hand-buffing glass. It's usually the inside surface of the bottle that is the problem.

I understand. If my dug collection grows, I may have to invest in a tumbler.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
After explaining that "black glass" is really some shade of olive-green (or olive-amber) in early glass, I must say that there is another sort of black glass. Other colors, without the olive tint, can be so dark as to appear black in normal light.

Here's an example of such a bottle which is "black-amethyst" in color. This demijohn dates to the turn of the turn of the nineteenth century, or so, and is hand-finished. The glass is so dark - nearly opaque - that it takes a bright lamp to discern the color. The second image was made using a 500 watt photo-lamp behind the bottle.

I think that such a bottle was specially made to contain light-sensitive chemicals such as some silver compounds used in photographic film. Anyone here know of another practical use for a black-amethyst demijohn?

demiamythest.jpg demiamythestb.jpg

Attachments

• demiamythest.jpg
    demiamythest.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,318
  • demiamythestb.jpg
    demiamythestb.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,307
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Here are two black (olive-amber) glass preserve bottles. These are probably French, blown in three-piece molds, smooth bases. The strings have been applied, and the sheared lips have been fire-polished (in a "glory-hole") to make them smooth. They are blown with thick glass. The bottle on the left is very, very dark - almost opaque. These date to the second half of the nineteenth century.

preservejars.jpg

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
This a group of small barrel figurals bottles. They are all very dark, the darkest almost opaque. I'm not sure what they were used for, but no doubt it was something light-sensitive.

They all have smooth bases, without any identifying marks. I believe that they may be British and/or French.

I've considered the possibility that these were used for (dry) mustard, or for snuff, or even for some luxury item like caviar.

I am currently leaning toward this latter explanation.

I am always looking for another color or mold variant.

barrelsfourcolor.jpg

Attachments

• barrelsfourcolor.jpg
    barrelsfourcolor.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,247

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are very interesting pieces. Did you dig them or purchase them? I like their shapes, and the redish hue on the next to the last example is quite lovely.

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
BuckleBoy said:
Those are very interesting pieces. Did you dig them or purchase them? I like their shapes, and the redish hue on the next to the last example is quite lovely.
Regards,
Buckles
The example on the left was dug from Lucy's Tip, Oxford, England. I have another example of this same form from another tip (dump) in England.

The second example, I bought at a Florida bottle show.

The third example (the "strawberry-puce" example), I bought on eBay (no provenance).

The example on the right I bought at a bottle show in Florida.

There is a similar barrel shown in Zumwalt's book which is embossed. That one is attributed to an importer of foodstuffs in Pall Mall (England). Various bottle auctions have described the occasional example as American-made.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry Pristis said:
BuckleBoy said:
Regards,
Buckles
The example on the left was dug from Lucy's Tip, Oxford, England. I have another example of this same form from another tip (dump) in England.

The second example, I bought at a Florida bottle show.

The third example (the "strawberry-puce" example), I bought on eBay (no provenance).

The example on the right I bought at a bottle show in Florida.

There is a similar barrel shown in Zumwalt's book which is embossed. That one is attributed to an importer of foodstuffs in Pall Mall (England). Various bottle auctions have described the occasional example as American-made.

Sounds like a real mystery. Wonderful examples. :thumbsup: And thank you for the additional information on these.

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
This is a very large (probably 2.5 gallons) demijohn. It's American-made, perhaps Stoddard, NH, from about 1840. The glass is loaded with seed bubbles. This weak-shouldered form is diagnostic.

2galweaksh.jpg 2galweakshb.jpg 2galweakshc.jpg

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Though these images appear in another thread, I thought it might be useful to have them in this "black glass" thread:
blackglassmallets.jpg

Attachments

• blackglasscylindersquats.jpg
    blackglasscylindersquats.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,198
  • malletratio.jpg
    malletratio.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,208
  • blackglassmallets.jpg
    blackglassmallets.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,172
  • malletratio.jpg
    malletratio.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,193
  • blackglasscylindersquats.jpg
    blackglasscylindersquats.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,179
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Here are a couple of early "leaners" -- free-blown bottles which slumped slightly, but still got through quality-control of the time. This image appears in another thread, but it seems appropriate here.

blackglassleaners.jpg

Attachments

• blackglassleaners.jpg
    blackglassleaners.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,092
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Tylocidaris said:
Harry, your black glass collection is stunning. Do you think the "slumpers" were sold as "seconds" or taken home by employees? It's hard to believe they would pack very well in cases.
John
I've wondered about this. Seriously-flawed bottles were, no doubt, pitched into a cullet bin. Cullet had value in facilitating a new melt.

It seems to me that to achieve a production goal, a few bottles with less-serious flaws might be added to a group of hundreds of better-made bottles. Though glass-blowing is an art-form these days, eighteenth and ninteenth century gaffers were paid for mass production.

Gaffers often made things of glass to take home -- they are called "whimseys." Such hand-tooled pieces range from household items like pitchers and sock darners to non-utilitarian pieces like miniature top-hats. Glass canes were a popular whimsey form. I don't own any whimseys, but they are a popular collectible. Maybe someone here will have an image of glass whimseys.

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Here is a Cane I have that came from an Estate Auction in the Northeast. I thought this pic was kinda neat too.

Attachments

• scan00012a.JPG
    scan00012a.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,091
  • DSC04003.JPG
    DSC04003.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,097
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Here's an unusual shape spirits bottle from the first half of the nineteenth century. I believe this bottle was made in Scotland at the big glassworks at Alloa, near Glasgow. Alloa is known for the globular form of its bottles.
alloaonion.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received from my sis a bunch of black glass somethings. Now i am going to have to open the box and see what it is. Nice finds everyone

TnMtns

Tylocidaris

Aug 4, 2009
Upper Cretaceous of Texas
Harry, here are a couple of black glass bottles I found, as a teenager, almost 40 years ago.

Here's what I know:
Black glass; blown in mold with applied lip and inside screw threads; (blob) 11.25" tall; A & J. COLQUHOUN LTD, TRADE, (AJC monogram), MARK, BROOKS'S BAR; (cone) 11.375" tall and does not have LTD; on the bottom of both - C. S. & Co LD, 9966.

Manufacturer was Cannington Shaw and Co. of St. Helens, England (west of Manchester). National Archives show them in business from 1891 - 1913. Initially, I thought Brooks's Bar was some pub, but now I suspect it was an area of Manchester "developed" by Samuel Brooks in the late 1830s. Apparently, entrance was gained by a "toll bar" that became known as Brooks's Bar. Yet, that's where my research grows cold. I did find some other references to A & J Colquhoun as "spirit merchants". I've seen a few kinds of crockery pieces, but not any glass with the Colquhoun name. Maybe someone else has more info. Thanks.

small100_coneColq5579.jpg

small100_coneColq5582.jpg

small100_coneColq5577.jpg

small100_coneColq5592.jpg

small100_coneColq5613.jpg

small100_blobColq5578.jpg

small100_blobColq5580.jpg

small100_blobColq5576.jpg

small100_blobColq5585.jpg

100_blobColq5588.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread