Umbrella ink bottle ID please

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey glass folks! I Just posted this -----> next door in the "what is it" room and was directed to the pros! :icon_sunny: Can you tell us the age and what they used to make the bottle seem "glittery" We will use the info to teach the kids at the camp. Thank you...staff oh! also, can you teach us about the "red" glass and how they used gold to turn it that color? and maybe a little photo of what it looks like?? thanx so much

Attachments

• DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC00053.jpg
    DSC00053.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 254

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Open pontilled umbrella ink with rolled lip; as found here: http://www.antiquebottles.com/ink/inkwell.html
The 'glitter' may be caused by the process of oxidation occurring in the glass. Some forms of oxidation can be most rapid. For example, while salvaging a wreck from the mid 1800s in the Bahamas several years ago, I brought to the surface many of this same type of ink bottle. As they dried in the air, they would immediately oxidize and flakes of glass would fly from the bottle like snow with each gust of wind.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As to creating the color red in glass by adding gold, research 'nanotechnology' and 'nanoparticles' and you'll find your answer that by adding gold in your glass formula to create red glass. Medieval artisans unknowingly became nanotechnologists when they made red stained glass by mixing gold chloride into molten glass. That created tiny gold spheres, which absorbed and reflected sunlight in a way that produces a rich ruby color.
Here's one site that discusses the subject:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1348391/posts
Don....

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
The opalescence on the bottle is caused from minerals leaching to the glass. I have found a lot of inks and I think it's from the 1880's - 1890's. It had a paper label and many companies made ink bottles so without embossing it's had to tell the company. I have seen a Sanfords umbrella ink with a paper label just like yours, but like I said it's hard to tell the company.

Wolverine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread