Who Collects Wine Bottles?

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
Harry, your bottles are so beautiful.I love the squarish one....and WANT one !!!! when you get the chance,tell us how/when/where you became so "hooked" on such beauties....and,yall other guys,too. It is so great that treasure net offers someone like me the chance to learn and yearn for more info----and,pictures of yalls 'stuff'------thanks guys and gals,too.

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Fla-Gal said:
Harry, your bottles are so beautiful.I love the squarish one....and WANT one !!!! when you get the chance,tell us how/when/where you became so "hooked" on such beauties....and,yall other guys,too. It is so great that treasure net offers someone like me the chance to learn and yearn for more info----and,pictures of yalls 'stuff'------thanks guys and gals,too.
Well, thank you, 'Fla-Gal' -- I started collecting bottles when I started scuba-diving in rivers. Then there were lots of bottle and fossil and artifact shows. I always kept an eye out when traveling, too. Here's a bottle I picked up in the Alsace Region of France:

bonbonnered.jpg

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Here's a colorful bottle from the late 1800s to TOC. This bottle was turned in a mold as it was blown, so it has no side-seams. It also has red spirals running through the body of the bottle. The lip is applied, which may suggest a date of 1880, or so.

I cut this bottle out of its wicker cover -- I was amazed at the colorful glass!

demiswirl.jpg

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum II, Fisher 1280x
Harry,

Question in regards to the "lady's leg" wine bottles. I have never seen or noticed the expanded or bulbous-like necks they have as opposed to straight or tapered. Very cool and I am very curious if you happen to know if there was any particular reason practical or otherwise for blowing them in that manner?

Thank you for your response, 'BuckleBoy' -- without feedback, it's easy to get the feeling that there's no one out there.

Please be aware :notworthy: You are being watched

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum II, Fisher 1280x
Just had an afterthought. Would it be to be able to better grip the bottle when pouring?

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
drgest said:
Just had an afterthought. Would it be to be able to better grip the bottle when pouring?
If there is any practical reason for a bulbous neck, grip is as good a reason as I can imagine.

It may be that long necks for wine bottles came into fashion to keep the pourer's hand away from the guest's glass. :( But, certainly, not all wine bottles had exaggerated necks.

In my image, the inflation of the neck of the earlier wine bottles may be a sort of accidental "push-back" on the neck as the string was being applied. Not all of these early long-neck wines have the same degree of neck inflation.

Later wine bottles (a few, anyway) and bitters bottles may have been made in this fashion simply because the market demanded a distinctive bottle. Were it not for this demand for distinctive bottles in the nineteenth century, bottle collecting would be not nearly so interesting.

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Here's another wine bottle, a magnum with an applied seal. The seal reads MADERA for Madeira, a fortified wine named after the Portuguese island of the same name. The bottle is English (or American) from the mid-1800s.

madera.jpg maderab.jpg maderabb.jpg

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for this post. I'm trying to learn all I can about bottles, and what you all just showed me helped immensely. Kudos.
Carl

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a cool little champagne. Found in the railroad dump. It's a mini, 9" tall. Interesting base design.

Attachments

• 0710 002.jpg
    0710 002.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,543
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
gleaner1 said:
This is a cool little champagne. Found in the railroad dump. It's a mini, 9" tall. Interesting base design.
Another hock wine form. I'll bet it's a half-bottle. What does the embossing on the base say? I cannot make it out.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Harry, it looks like a smaller fancy 'R' over a larger fancy 'M'. Mold damage makes the right hand leg of the 'R' appear to be a bit weird looking. It could be a P over M, outside chance.

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
gleaner1 said:
Harry, it looks like a smaller fancy 'R' over a larger fancy 'M'. Mold damage makes the right hand leg of the 'R' appear to be a bit weird looking. It could be a P over M, outside chance.
Well, that is a lead to identifying the vintner or bottler.

It's more than possible that it is an American winery -- colorless glass is not typical for Alsatian wines; plus, there's no kick-up.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Harry Pristis,Timekiller here was looking through your post under bottles Nice Stuff you have! Wanted to show you one I had posted in todays finds! Found this last week at a early to mid 1700's home site here in N.C.!

Attachments

• 000_0004_01.jpg
    000_0004_01.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,598
  • 000_0006_01.jpg
    000_0006_01.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,585
  • 000_0007_01.jpg
    000_0007_01.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,583
  • 000_0005_01.jpg
    000_0005_01.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,608
  • 000_0005_01.jpg
    000_0005_01.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,601
  • 000_0004_01.jpg
    000_0004_01.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,617
  • 000_0006_01.jpg
    000_0006_01.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,555
  • 000_0007_01.jpg
    000_0007_01.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,561

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Here's a huge wine bottle I picked up recently. I was told sometimes these bottles did hold other liquids.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,608
  • 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,489
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
timekiller said:
Hey Harry Pristis,Timekiller here was looking through your post under bottles Nice Stuff you have! Wanted to show you one I had posted in todays finds! Found this last week at a early to mid 1700's home site here in N.C.!
What an excellent find! I would call it an early "squat cylinder" wine bottle (after Roger Dumbrell). The form certainly fits your date for the home site -- say 1740-60. The bottle is likely to be English-made.

Great bottle! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
undertaker said:
Here's a huge wine bottle I picked up recently. I was told sometimes these bottles did hold other liquids.
Great bottle . . . great BIG ol' bottle!

I think most of these bottles were used as fermenters in wine-making. In Europe, where wine-making is more than a hobby, many of these big bottles are still in use. A few of them turn up in the USA, but generally shipping is too expensive to ever see a whole lot of them here. Nice addition to your collection!

This is a pair of (probably) French fermenting bottles which are later than yours.

pairelectricamber.jpg

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
Timekiller, unreal that this bottle survived the crossing and all these many years....know you heart was doing flipflops until you saw it intact...hopefully you will find more !!! Congrats .....

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry Pristis said:
timekiller said:
What an excellent find! I would call it an early "squat cylinder" wine bottle (after Roger Dumbrell). The form certainly fits your date for the home site -- say 1740-60. The bottle is likely to be English-made.

Great bottle! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Harry,You seem to know your bottles I had done some research already and your time line is right on.I was told by a archaeologist 1740-1750 he said english mallet though it's 8.5"by4.5" could you explain the difference? :dontknow:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fla-Gal said:
Timekiller, unreal that this bottle survived the crossing and all these many years....know you heart was doing flipflops until you saw it intact...hopefully you will find more !!! Congrats .....
Thanks Fla-Gal, After I had calm my self down from the find,that thought was one of my first too.I've been at this stuff for so long seen so many peices I was in a state of disbelief when I came across it.
Thanks for you kind words,
Timekiller

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions