Who Collects Wine Bottles?

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
Harry Pristis said:
BttleDiggerDrew said:
Wow I can't compete with these demi's and such...But here is a little something I found recently...no markings whatsoever...
It certainly appears to be a wine bottle, Drew. Is that a pontil scar in a ring inside the kickup? Where are you digging?

How about a close-up of that lip, like the one you did of the base.

Without a doubt, here you go....I will doing a big time bottle foray tomorrow, on the banks of the mighty Hudson and a little up north..

Attachments

• Boogerbttle3.jpg
    Boogerbttle3.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 883
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Your bottle appears to have an early crown top, an applied crown top. Is that the case? If so, it would date to within five years either side of 1900. It probably contained something other than wine - perhaps a mineral water.

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
Harry Pristis said:
Your bottle appears to have an early crown top, an applied crown top. Is that the case? If so, it would date to within five years either side of 1900. I probably contained something other than wine - perhaps a mineral water.

Yes it does appear to an early crown and that puke green color.. :laughing7:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Harry, I collect any and all bottles from Paterson NJ but I have one huge amber Demi that I acquired to resell but I think I'm gonna be keeping it, I've been told it's most likely a Stoddard piece and I really love it....it's 19-1/2" x 15" x 11".....Jim

3n83kb3o45Z55S15R3a5g91e065e3ca0811f9.jpg

3k53pe3l85T15W25R6a5g7ee9f9e842131b15.jpg

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry, what do you think of these? I found them today, at a site about 1900's off a river. I don't think they are very old but research has failed me today. Others have old windex bottles on line but none have dates; my Windex bottle word is embossed and on the back embossed Duraglas. It did not come with its sprayer unfortunately. The other bottle seems to have once held wine due to the embossed grapes and leaves but I am not having luck ID'ing it.. on bottom (machine made) it says 2896 then an E and a 12, with some sort of insignia like a big T with a letter on each side but I cannot make it out. What are your thoughts?

P1040374 - Copy.JPG P1040359 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• P1040359 - Copy.JPG
    P1040359 - Copy.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Harry, what do you think of these? I found them today, at a site about 1900's off a river. I don't think they are very old but research has failed me today. Others have old windex bottles on line but none have dates; my Windex bottle word is embossed and on the back embossed Duraglas. It did not come with its sprayer unfortunately. The other bottle seems to have once held wine due to the embossed grapes and leaves but I am not having luck ID'ing it.. on bottom (machine made) it says 2896 then an E and a 12, with some sort of insignia like a big T with a letter on each side but I cannot make it out. What are your thoughts?

I think the bottle with the embossed grapes is likely to be a grape juice concentrate, rather than a wine bottle.

Here's the info on DuraGlas from the Historic Bottles site:
Duraglas- This was the proprietary name for a process used by the Owens-Illinois Glass Company where the surface of the hot, just produced bottles, were sprayed on the body, shoulder, and neck (not base or the top of the finish) with a stannic chloride vapor that allowed the tin to bond to the outer surface and providing scratch resistance and durability to the bottles. (Information courtesy of Phil Perry, engineer with that company.) This process - and the embossed notation of it ( in script) on the base of many Owens-Illinois products - began in 1940 and continued up until at least the mid-1950s, though the process is still in use today without the notation (Toulouse 1971; Miller & Morin 2004; Phil Perry, O-I engineer pers. comm. 2007). The photo to the right (click to enlarge) is of a 1941 beer bottle with the Duraglas notation in the lower portion of the base embossing. (See the machine-made bottle dating page Question #11 for more information on the dating of this bottle.)

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Harry! With the dates above, that puts my old Windex bottle between 62 and 72 years old.
The wine or juice bottle is probably around the same time since it wad found in the same place. Weird how they survived in tact.
One was found laying comfortably on some dead river grass on the bank, the other in wet sand. Probably emerged from the sand like the other stuff.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry
As soon as I get the wine out of my bottles I am going to post them for you. Hopefully I will be able to see them. All kidding aside great post. I have hundreds of bottles in my basement I have dug but nothing of great value. Mostly medicinals and of course coke bottles from the first bottling plant in Chattanooga. Hope to dive in the river this year and recover some more. Thanks for a great post.
TnMtns

demifun

Greenie
Mar 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
You're smart to collect blob top sodas and medicines -- no shelf-space problems there. I, on the other hand, have gone weak for the BIG bottles which are a display problem.

Here's one of my favorites:

This is the best breadloaf demijohn I have ever seen ! Color, crudity, the whole package !!!! A real pleasure to see.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
amazing thread...simply exploded!....full of great stuff!

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would put up my Lady's Leg that I dug. I think mine was one of the last ones produced before they turned to the ABM. The lip is very nicely tooled. For the longest time I thought it was ABM.

Attachments

• image-1273409916.jpg
    image-1273409916.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3281515764.jpg
    image-3281515764.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I've had these wine bottles for some years, though I'd never photographed them until today. By 1730, great numbers of onion bottles were being produced in the Low Countries and in Germany, but not in France. Taller, more slender bottles were more efficient for wine; and, that appears to be the trend French bottle-makers embraced.
onion_Dutch.JPG wine_flowerpot_pair.JPG

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's a very old thread you revived. Thanks for bringing it back and thanks for the new pictures you posted...ver nice indeed. Maybe some day 'I'll find one

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Wow, that's a very old thread you revived. Thanks for bringing it back and thanks for the new pictures you posted...ver nice indeed. Maybe some day 'I'll find one

And, maybe someday you will find one . . . You're young yet (you must be young to think that revival of a 13-month old post deserves a 'Wow').

Think of this thread as a resource for those who do manage to find a wine bottle.

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have quit a few hock wins ,I like the blue ones.im going to Italy next year looking forward to digging up some there.

DINGER

Mar 9, 2011
central new york
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi HARRY Nice collection of old glass. Mine are no where near the age of yours, but ill post some i like. First one SQUAT LADY LEG NECK that i dug,not sure it was wine bottle.Next BENEDICTINE WITH 2 SMALL CROSSES and CREST,Looks like abm bottle.And one with raised pontil, no other markings on it .dinger

Attachments

• money makerf four 015.jpg
    money makerf four 015.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 93
  • money makerf four 017.jpg
    money makerf four 017.jpg
    905 KB · Views: 123
  • liquor 002.jpg
    liquor 002.jpg
    669.1 KB · Views: 111
  • liquor 001.jpg
    liquor 001.jpg
    728 KB · Views: 106
  • my documents money maker two 041.jpg
    my documents money maker two 041.jpg
    956.7 KB · Views: 123
  • my documents money maker two 042.jpg
    my documents money maker two 042.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 122
  • my documents money maker two 045.jpg
    my documents money maker two 045.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 120
  • my documents money maker two 050.jpg
    my documents money maker two 050.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 103
  • my documents money maker two 049.jpg
    my documents money maker two 049.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 119
  • my documents money maker two 048.jpg
    my documents money maker two 048.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 106
  • my documents money maker two 047.jpg
    my documents money maker two 047.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 125

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Picked up these two bottles at the Flea. I believe the one on the right would be a wine (1810 -20?) and is 11 1/4" tall. Most the ones I've seen in this form are olive shades. This one is various amber colors.

Attachments

• DSC03758.JPG
    DSC03758.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 112

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread