Who Collects Preserves Bottles and Jars?

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Actually Harry, I really did not know for certain what the heck it was, and I was trying to mentally prepare myself for the moment that you revealed that it was an early pickle blown in a famous New England glasshouse, and found in an attic in Worcester MA :laughing7:.

That's alright, 'gleaner1' . . . you may keep the Golden Kudo anyway. No need to deconstruct serendipity. Thanks for participating. :icon_thumright:

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here is one I got recently. it is open pontiled from the 1850s. it is one of my favorite pontiled bottles

Attachments

• Photo0050.jpg
    Photo0050.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would, but it has FANTASTIC iridescence that this picture doesn't show very well. you can see a little bit of pink in the picture.

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
These are a couple of ones that I have found. The canning jar is somewhat rare and the jar on the left might be a pickle jar but I am not sure.

Attachments

• 1432048330848.jpg
    1432048330848.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Here's one I found in a antique shop. The price was so low I thought it was a repro. Found out it wasn't. Didn't matter I like the whittle and color so I would have bought it anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_7261.JPG
    IMG_7261.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7264.JPG
    IMG_7264.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7265.JPG
    IMG_7265.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7262.JPG
    IMG_7262.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Here's one I found in a antique shop. The price was so low I thought it was a repro. Found out it wasn't. Didn't matter I like the whittle and color so I would have bought it anyway.

I have one like that, I think. They are phenomenal bottles! Think about the utensil required to remove individual gherkins or giardinera from the bottle.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
That first I.R. bottle looks very crude, epackage. Tell us again what I.R. represents. Again, the variety of Paterson bottles is amazing.
The I.R. is for Isaac Reckhow Harry, he started in NYC in the 1840's and was located in the area which later became the heart of the World Trade Center. He was in partnership with a man by the last name of Vincent, here is an ad from 1845...

Untitledrec.jpg

The bulbous jar is believed to be an oyster jar, the tall one for pickles(gherkins), I have a record of that one being found in California with a lead label, mine was dug in a 49er gold camp. He came to Paterson in 1875 and went into business under the name Reckhow Preserving Company until 1881.(R.P. Co. is found on the bottom of the green jar pictured above)

He was bought out by the Paterson Pickle Co. in 1882, and they went on to use the Statue of Liberty as their company symbol.

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
what is your first bottle Harry?..the one that started you?

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
what is your first bottle Harry?..the one that started you?

Coincidentally, my first saved bottle is one that fits this thread.
bowmandairy.JPG
It's a 1940s or 1950s cottage cheese jar which I found snorkeling in a flooded limestone quarry near Lamont, Illinois.

I grew up in Chicago, drinking Bowman Dairy milk. When I found the jar, I wasn't drinking milk any longer, but I was back working in Chicago after years living elsewhere while in the military. There was something nostalgic about the jar.

Then there was the bold embossing, the stout construction, and the perfect condition of this jar that appealed to me. I kept it for years before I got serious about collecting bottles. It's on my shelf now, among other, much older jars and bottles. Thanks for asking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread