Who Collects Preserves Bottles and Jars?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Who collects preserves bottles? I'm referring to wide-mouth vessels for such food items as olives, capers, fruit, truffles, jam, et cetera. Here's one to start off:

olivejartall.jpg

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Beautiful example. I'm getting a crash course in Bottle just by reading your Fine posts. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Buckles

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Have a few canning jars. This jar here I'm not sure what it held. It's very thin and fragile has a great flared lip and open pontil. The jar itself is 11 inches tall.

Attachments

• DSC04182a.JPG
    DSC04182a.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 857
  • DSC04183a.JPG
    DSC04183a.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 862
  • DSC04185a.JPG
    DSC04185a.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 865
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Road Dog said:
Have a few canning jars. This jar here I'm not sure what it held. It's very thin and fragile has a great flared lip and open pontil. The jar itself is 11 inches tall.
Nice jar, 'Road Dog'! I am really fond of this sort of glass.

Are you certain that the lid is original to your jar? The lid appears to be pressed glass (from a split-mold). The big advances in producing pressed glass date to the late 1860s and 1870s.

The great challenge would have been to hand-finish a jar lip to exact proportions to fit a pressed-glass lid. Because it is pontil-scarred, I assume the jar is hand-finished. Are the lid and the jar both ground to fit with one another?

Here's one of a pair of 1850s American jars in the same tradition as yours.

jarangel.jpg

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Kool Jar! Bought this as is at a Antique Mall some years ago. Lid fits perfect and color is a match. Not totally sure they go together though.

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Road Dog said:
Kool Jar! Bought this as is at a Antique Mall some years ago. Lid fits perfect and color is a match. Not totally sure they go together though.
Well, pressed glass has a long history. The fit and color are the best available test. Nice jar!

Here are three French jars, two pontil-scarred, from the second half of the nineteenth century. They have rolled lips,

3bocaux.rolled.jpg

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Road Dog said:
Bright green with those french jars. Is that the norm? I think Flaccus made a canning jar that color.
I just love 'em! This form comes in various shades of green, and it is seen in colorless/aqua glass.

I don't have one of the colorless ones in this (relatively) small size, but I have a number of them (square-shoulder, rolled lip) in huge sizes. The biggest is somewhere around 5+ gallons! Here's a pair of these big jars, one is still in the original wicker.

wickerjarspair.jpg

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Sooner or later, every bottle digger finds one of these capers bottles. Capers are the pickled flower buds of a Mediterranean shrub. Many of these bottles were imported from France.

In the second image is a recent bottle of capers. The taste is "perfumey" -- not a taste I associate with food.

Capers were a significant spice for cooking in the nineteeth and early twentieth century. I think that they are not so popular these days. Anyone here cook with capers?

caperstrio.jpg caperstrio.jpg

Attachments

• capersmodern.jpg
    capersmodern.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 825
  • caperstrio.jpg
    caperstrio.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 810
  • capersmodern.jpg
    capersmodern.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 814

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Got this Biggun the other day. It is near 15 inches tall. I used to have a much smaller version of this years ago I got out of the James River. Has a crown embossed on the bottom.

Attachments

• DSC03722a.JPG
    DSC03722a.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 762
  • DSC03724a.JPG
    DSC03724a.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 781
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Road Dog said:
Got this Biggun the other day. It is near 15 inches tall. I used to have a much smaller version of this years ago I got out of the James River. Has a crown embossed on the bottom.
Well, 'Road Dog', our tastes in bottles run in parallel. I have this same enormous pickle bottle. I'm just weak for big bottles, I guess.

You can see the big pickle on the top shelf in this older image. The three hexagonal cathedral bottles on the right of the same shelf are all 13.25" tall.

windowbottles.jpg

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I dug up this bottle a few months ago, I think its some kind of preserve bottle, mabey for pickles? I dug it up with other bottles that are around 1905 time frame.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 29 mile house 004.JPG
    29 mile house 004.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 591
  • 29 mile house 005.JPG
    29 mile house 005.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 589

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Harry Pristis said:
Road Dog said:
Well, 'Road Dog', our tastes in bottles run in parallel. I have this same enormous pickle bottle. I'm just weak for big bottles, I guess.

You can see the big pickle on the top shelf in this older image. The three hexagonal cathedral bottles on the right of the same shelf are all 13.25" tall.

...I hope you have earthquake insurance :-[

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Bite your tongue, 'ringman' !

I live in Florida, not on a volcanic island. Florida is a stable, carbonate platform where earthquakes NEVER occur (until the end of the Mayan calendar in late 2012, anyway)! :laughing7:

We are burdened by our collections, aren't we! Collections of objects are vulnerable to so many threats. I worry when I go away from the house; I worry about meteorite strikes; I worry about insurrections and unrest. But, I don't worry about earthquakes! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread