Plate and bottle from an old well dig(Need help dating plate)

dduffy

Aug 23, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
I went back to the well to see what I could find that may have shown up after all this rain we have been getting. Nothing in the pile of dirt that came out of the hole. The sides did come in some, I started poking arround on the side walls and to my suprise I uncovered 1st this wine bottle :dontknow: then a plate unbroken which was so hard to beleive the rocks did not crush it. I'm thinking I can date it from the markings on the back.

Attachments

• bottle and plate.jpg
    bottle and plate.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 368
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 390
  • seal markings.jpg
    seal markings.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 392

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
humm looks like a american used the british arms stamp type marking on his white iron ware china=---try Isaac Davis * american --1875 to 1880-

OP
OP
dduffy

dduffy

Aug 23, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
ivan salis said:
humm looks like a american used the british arms stamp type marking on his white iron ware china=---try issac davis * american

THE PROSPECT HILL POTTERY, TRENTON, N. J.
In 1880 Messrs. Dale & Davis established the Prospect Hill Pottery, and continued to manufacture decorated semi-porcelain and white granite dinner and toilet wares until about 1894. Their earliest mark for white granite was the Arms of Great Britain. Later they used the initials of the firm name. Previous to this partnership, from about 1875 to 1880, Isaac Davis was in business alone, and in 1876 made an ex­hibit of white granite ware at the Centennial Exposition. The lion and unicorn mark was used on print-decorated ware with views of historic American buildings. A bread plate in the Pennsylvania Museum, with view of Horticultural Hall, one of the Centennial buildings, bears this mark.

A similar mark was used on a patent in 1879.

Thank you

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
The hock wines are unbelievably strong and don't break very easily. I have found quite a few. Nice stuff, keep at it. :thumbsup: jgas

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
thus date of manufacture would be 1875 to 1880 when Isaac Davis -operated alone * I. Davis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread