bottle collector killed

Colonel Ken

Dec 7, 2009
Oahu, Hawaii
This story is very depressing. Last year I was totally buried for over 20 minutes. Luckily I had two small air holes that supplied me air and my wife was there to dig a hole large enough for me to escape.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Well that sure brought a nice sunny day to a halt and made me reflect on how dangerous it is to dig like this. It is an addiction to hunt for treasures as all of us do. It reminds me of how often I think of not digging so deep, the bottles are not worth it. I always dig with a partner just in case. But the bottom line is if the walls collapse and you are too deep for a buddy to get to you then it will be too late. Just don't do it. Life is too short to chance. :(

By what it appears he was in a landfill area possibly digging into the side of the hill. These are very very dangerous to dig. Just as building a snow fort and the top comes down on you. That dirt weighs literally tons. You cannot move when trapped by it. So please all of us diggers, including myself and my friends, please take to heart this message and our fellow bottle diggers' unfortunate result will not go in vane. Be very careful digging these pits and privies. When you get that gut feeling that you are just too deep, stop and let it go....Live to dig another day my friends. I hope never to see a fellow digger in the headlines for these types of stories. Be safe out there everyone. jgas

OP
OP
duffytrash

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
well put!!!...ive seen guys deep enough in marble factory dumps where the need a ladder to get out...those old bottle dumps a real dangerous and most around here are just threw down over a bank....just be careful!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread