diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this decanter at an estate/garage sale today. I found a similar that sold at auction and it was listed as 19th century, applied neck, rolled lip and polished pontil. It had a different stopper though. I know a little about bottles and I think it may be a post 1900's bottle, but i'm kind of looking for confirmation by someone on here with more knowledge than me. Another strange thing is the cork lid with what appears to be an 1855 Napoleon 10 centimes French coin (or replica). George III was an enemy of Napoleon III and defeated him at the battle of Waterloo. Why would such a stopper be put on this bottle? It just seems at odds to me. Also does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this stopper without damaging the cork? The "coin" is larger than the cork so I can't get a cork puller in between the cork and the neck. Anyway here's the pics-

View attachment 670221 View attachment 670222 View attachment 670223 View attachment 670224

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
18th Century Half Post decanter, it's surprising how many seem to turn up...Makes me a bit skeptical, but I sent your post to someone who knows all about this type of item and I hope he decides to comment....Good Luck...Jim

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digg's looks better than the one on ebay-white is whiter. Maybe just leave the cork for the new owner to break when they try to pull it out? : )

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Well diggumup I have bad news, these are fakes that were made with a laser or CAD etcher, as are all the examples. My buddy Steve actually has a pair himself and the etching lines up perfectly on both examples, this could never be achieved by hand during the time they are said to be from.

I had my reservations about them as I stated, and now those have been proven true, wish the news was better....Jim

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well diggumup I have bad news, these are fakes that were made with a laser or CAD etcher, as are all the examples. My buddy Steve actually has a pair himself and the etching lines up perfectly on both examples, this could never be achieved by hand during the time they are said to be from.

I had my reservations about them as I stated, and now those have been proven true, wish the news was better....Jim
Good point about the etching. Yeah, I had my doubts too. I just found this that says it is a Gustav III decanter and that it was made in the 1930's by Hovmantorps "New" Glassworks in Sweden. Of course, they didn't have CAD or laser etching in the 30's either sooo... I don't know where they got their information, but...
King Gustav III Sweden Decanter and 4 Small Wine Glasses | eBay-

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread