Some ACLs from the river...and maybe my oldest wine

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the season being as dry as it is, my boy and I hit the river a couple of times this week. New section for us giving up a whole lot of older pop bottles. We left the cokes and pepsis and focused on ones we didn't have (my son's got a collection going). Picked up what could possibly be my oldest wine. If anyone wants to put a date to it and/or origin it'd be great :icon_thumright:.
The pics show off the nicest of our finds; we picked up about three times as many as pictured...
Oh, there's also the brown/amber glass thing from Hong Kong - if anybody has any idea of what it might be, let me know.
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_3458.JPG
    IMG_3458.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_3461.JPG
    IMG_3461.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3462.JPG
    IMG_3462.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3463.JPG
    IMG_3463.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 112

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May very well be a dumb question on my part but, what makes you think that bottle is from Hong Kong? It looks very old to me and I like it. :icon_thumright:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
The wine appears to be mid to late 1700's, how about a few shots of the whole bottle by itself....Jim

OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the season being as dry as it is, my boy and I hit the river a couple of times this week. New section for us giving up a whole lot of older pop bottles. We left the cokes and pepsis and focused on ones we didn't have (my son's got a collection going). Picked up what could possibly be my oldest wine. If anyone wants to put a date to it and/or origin it'd be great :icon_thumright:.
The pics show off the nicest of our finds; we picked up about three times as many as pictured...
Oh, there's also the brown/amber glass thing from Hong Kong - if anybody has any idea of what it might be, let me know.
Thanks for looking!

Well, Rebel, it's all about the form and the type of glass...you see...
But the biggest factor was the small aluminum cap thing on it.
It's on the cap where you'll find the markings - they read "Hong Kong" :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a full shot.
11.5" in height and about a 3.5" base.
1700's beats my oldest bottles by about 100 years. SWEET! :headbang:

Thanks gents!

Attachments

• IMG_3464.JPG
    IMG_3464.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 158
OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little update...Wine & Champagne Bottles
After reading about the champagne (which it appears to be) it seems like the date range could be pretty wide...
None the less, it till beats any other champagne or wine I've found to this point...

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
A little update...Wine & Champagne Bottles
After reading about the champagne (which it appears to be) it seems like the date range could be pretty wide...
None the less, it till beats any other champagne or wine I've found to this point...

Those dimensions seem reasonable for a champagne bottle. I think your find may have been blown in Belgium - it has that yellow-olive color characteristic of the reduction furnaces used there.

Here are a couple of French-made bottles for comparison:
wine_burgundy_champagne.JPG
Some differences are not so apparent: the string on the champagne is more prominent since it will be important in containing the pressure on the cork which is wired in place. Further, the champagne bottle is thicker glass to resist the pressure (the champagne weighs 910 grams while the burgundy bottle weighs just 808 grams).
(The base diameters were measured with a caliper at about 1.5" above the bottoms of the bottles.)

Last edited:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Rebel, it's all about the form and the type of glass...you see...
But the biggest factor was the small aluminum cap thing on it.
It's on the cap where you'll find the markings - they read "Hong Kong" :thumbsup:

I guess I did not see that small aluminum cap. What a great bottle! Congratulations. I know it would have "made the shelf" here :thumbsup:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey i'd take those Coke's And pepsi's!! How do you go about finding these?

OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rivers around here have been insanely low. Considering I'm traveling by BMW (Bus, metro, walk :tongue3:), I can only carry about 20 or so bottles and that's if I don't have my detector with me, which is why I leave the cokes and pepsi (of course there are exceptions, cities for example or really great quality).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread