Geo. C. Hammill Cd Bolivar bottle ?? Who What When Where Questions??

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello All, Long time since I been around here. Sorry for that. Been a bit busy with the winter blues!:tongue3:
In any case I got around to cleaning this find from last season. Dug from a circa 1890 privy. Just can't seem to find much about it. Who was this guy Geo. C. Hammill? And what is Cd Bolivar. It did have a foil type band around the upper neck. It appears to be an older bottle than the privy of 1890. It has tons of seed bubbles. Really a nice bottle over all. What are your thoughts as to the maker and where this one came from. EPackage said it could be foreign. But not sure. So here are the pictures of this little beauty. Thanks for checking it out and getting me any info on it.
Jgas.

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 103
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 106
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 111
  • B4.jpg
    B4.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 116
  • B5.jpg
    B5.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 111

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Who was this guy Geo. C. Hammill? And what is Cd Bolivar.

Hey jags,

Nice bottle, sir. I'm thinking that the Cd. is for Ciudad Bolivar, which would put this in Angostura bark territory.

I've not found anything on ole George, except for some ancestry.com dead ends, and a possible Princeton University alumni connection. I'm also reading it as "George G. Hammill," but could be mistaken.

There's a lead to a pay site, that contains this, "GEO C HAMMILL CO Tbc Celebrated Angostura or American Bitter", over here: Galveston Daily News, Friday, August 23, 1867, Page 4

What size is it? It does look kinda Dr. Siegertish... perhaps a short lived copy cat...

st.patricks.jpg

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks Surf, I have seen some of that information as well. I figured it was from the mid to late 1800's. I think it outdated the pit we were in by 20 to 30 years. Its about 6 inches tall. You may be right that it was a short lived item. Maybe that would bode well for it on the sale market, maybe not though. Thanks for the research on it. The search will continue.......jgas

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottle J!! Wish I could help on an id but good to see you postin. I'm ready to see sum pit pics.lol. HH

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Well guys after the help on the bottle, I got a hold of Trinidad and Tabago at the angostura company that Surf suggested and it appears that this may very well be a circa 1860 bottle from their company. I sent them pictures and they are really looking into it. Should be interesting on the final answer from the company. I will give ya an update as soon as I get it. Thanks again for the help. jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread