Bass Assassin 4

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
....I can do this all day long...if you guys are bored let me know and I will stop.

Now you have to understand, the beach that I go to isn't exactly remote but it sure is over looked. Last weekend I watched an eagle take a seagull (don't ask me why...yuk) and it is not unusual for me to meet up with otters or beavers..(which I never knew came to salt water). It is a rare day I am not following a deer track in the sand as I walk along parts of this seven mile stretch. This beach is so lonely that you can walk naked on the best day in August and not see a soul for hours, (which upon occasion I have done)...(hellacious burn from the sun and the water but worth it). But the thing that gets me is that the place where I find these old bottles are actually the most walked on and if I am going to run into anybody, it will be here. There are in fact a half a dozen houses in sight of my spot and within yelling distance too, so whenever I pull one of these up I find it kind of humorous.

So, after that Ponds bottle I went back about two weeks later and was scouting the beach again. I was finding a few pretty good agates and even came upon and old Indian head penny, so it was already a good day. When I get close to my spot I start thinking "there is NO way lightening is gonna strike 4 times....NO way....but wouldn't it be something if it did?" Well I snoop around my spot and find a few broken pieces and a neck or two and that is about it. So I leave the ACTUAL clay bank and head a few steps further south. Bingo! Sticking out of the sand is this small obvious cork top bottle neck...sticking out about and inch. I go over to collect it and what the heck....pull out an intact bottle with all kinds of embossing on it. "Northrop and Sturgis Flavoring Extract"

What it was doing on the beach is beyond me.

Attachments

• DSC03324.JPG
    DSC03324.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 222

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By no means are you boring us. Please keep them coming.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey unclemac,

I second the keep 'em coming chorus. You tell a good story, and I can imagine the Oregon coast this time of year.

I think you have an old refuse dump. not too far from where you are finding these intact bottles. You're looking at a really nicely embossed 1890's extract from Portland.

portlandsoda.jpg
"The relatively early (mid-1880s) Hutchinson soda pictured to the left is embossed with PORTLAND / TRADE MARK / (spread eagle) / SODA WORKS / P. O. (Portland, OR.) The base is also embossed with NORTHROP & STURGIS whom were the proprietors of the concern from 1883 to 1911, when it became the Puritan Manufacturing Co. In 1886 - the era of the pictured bottle - the company advertised the production of numerous beverages any of which could have been in this bottle - soda water, sarsaparilla, ginger ale, cream soda, cider, and more. The Portland Soda Works had a long run of embossed bottles (at least 9 different molds in 3 different bottle styles) under several ownerships beginning in 1877 with the Cottle, Post & Co. blob-top soda and ending during the early 20th century with an early (mouth-blown), crown-top soda style (Fowler 1981). The pictured Hutchinson soda is one of three similar variations with an eagle produced by the company and likely dates from about 1884 to 1887. This style was preceded by a similarly embossed blob-top style bottle that likely dates from 1883 or so, as it is very rare indicating that there was likely only one or two orders made for it during the early years of Northrop & Sturgis. (The noted, but not pictured, blob-top Portland Soda Works bottle is an example of where a feel for the relative rarity in hand with other information - i.e., company dates and diagnostic features - can help narrow the probable date range.) The pictured bottle has an applied blob finish and was blown in a post-bottom mold with no evidence of air venting - all attributes typical of an 1880s Hutchinson soda. The manufacturing methods resulted in this (and most of the bottles observed from this mold) being very crude in the body ("whittled") with relatively flat, rounded embossing. Click on the following links to view other pictures of this soda bottle: base view showing the embossing; close-up of the shoulder, neck, and blob finish which shows the distinct interface between the upper neck and finish base indicating a true applied finish, though without any glass slop-over below the finish which is commonly seen on applied finishes." Soda & Mineral Water

$(KGrHqF,!n8FD-iRSlgCBRIYwH3yU!~~60_3.JPG
Northrop Sturgis Soda Advertising Trade Card Portland Oregon | eBay

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wouldn't mind finding that Hutch!

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are welcome to keep these thread going until you run out of bottles. I'm always looking for a little more action in the bottles forum. Great finds so far!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions