CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH MY UNOPENED 1910 COCA COLA STRAIGHT SIDED BOTTLE WITH PARTIA

hello

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20130603_125246.jpg
    20130603_125246.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,449
  • 20130603_125214 copy.jpg
    20130603_125214 copy.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 459
  • 20130603_125146.jpg
    20130603_125146.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 376
  • Screenshot_2013-06-03-12-54-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-03-12-54-08.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 259
OP
OP
H

hello

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks vpnavy.
Yeah me too.
Hello are there any members that may be able to help me value this coke bottle. Litchfield bottling works 1910-1915 unopened, full and has partial glue on label with asa signature

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello hello,

There's an oldie & goodie. The label is what 40 percent? Seems to have considerable case wear. I'd ordinarily say about $100, but I'd like to hear a good backstory, too.

litchfld.jpg
"Early 1900s Coca-Cola script logo embossed bottle, from Litchfield Bottling Works, Litchfield, ILL. This is in script near the shoulder of the bottle and on the bottom, with very little bottle wear for the age of this bottle. This has minor wear, and a couple very minor chips, but overall in very good condition. Combine with other bottles and save on shipping!

Price: $60.00" Sodamuseum.com

As Kismet would have it, right now there is a Qatari bidder running loose in the old soda aisle of electronic auctionland who is paying crazy prices. So a grand, or that vicinity might not be a pipe dream.

0-0-0.jpg
Historic Map: Litchfield Bottling works: Montgomery County 1912, Illinois

OP
OP
H

hello

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello hello,

There's an oldie & goodie. The label is what 40 percent? Seems to have considerable case wear. I'd ordinarily say about $100, but I'd like to hear a good backstory, too.

litchfld.jpg
"Early 1900s Coca-Cola script logo embossed bottle, from Litchfield Bottling Works, Litchfield, ILL. This is in script near the shoulder of the bottle and on the bottom, with very little bottle wear for the age of this bottle. This has minor wear, and a couple very minor chips, but overall in very good condition. Combine with other bottles and save on shipping!

Price: $60.00" Sodamuseum.com

As Kismet would have it, right now there is a Qatari bidder running loose in the old soda aisle of electronic auctionland who is paying crazy prices. So a grand, or that vicinity might not be a pipe dream.

0-0-0.jpg
Historic Map: Litchfield Bottling works: Montgomery County 1912, Illinois

Thanks Surf, I have had offers of 2 to 3k for this bottle. I am just wondering if it may be worth more than that prior to selling. Also where might I find this Qatari bidder.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello hello & cccxlcuda,

To be sure, were this not one of those Rod Serling moments, it would be worth nowhere near those ridiculous numbers. I still wanna know the backstory of the barbershop find...

If it were mine, I'd try and squeeze a few more shekels outta that nitwit offerer & let him peddle it to the Qatari, unless you have an ebay stand and a liking for that venue.

serling-620.jpg

OP
OP
H

hello

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello hello & cccxlcuda,

To be sure, were this not one of those Rod Serling moments, it would be worth nowhere near those ridiculous numbers. I still wanna know the backstory of the barbershop find...

If it were mine, I'd try and squeeze a few more shekels outta that nitwit offerer & let him peddle it to the Qatari, unless you have an ebay stand and a liking for that venue.

serling-620.jpg

Thanks for your response Surf,

My father was a Master Barber and owned a beauty shop since the 1940's. Nothing great to say other than it was a very nostalgic shop, even his barber chairs were the old white and porcelain from the early 1900's as well. My father closed his shop in the early 2000's and all the belongings were placed in the garage. I just recently went through all of his things even finding a letter from 1967 which belonged to his partner who passed in the 80's. This partner was also a Preacher and my dad's best friend. This friend / Preacher was married with children. The letter was from a woman stated in the letter, I have not had my PERIOD YET. Not sure if the child was every born or not but I know all of his children and all of them are older than I and I'm in my fifties. I see why that letter stayed in the Shop until 2002 when we sold the two pieces of property. Could you imagine what might have happened if that letter made it into his wife or children's possession. I guess it pays to have an office when things like that needed to be hidden and for the recipients eyes only. Also found some great finds from ZODYS and really cool old double duck pearl handle straight razors which I cut my knuckle with already. So really mainly very old things

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find !!!!!! :headbang:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
My father was a Master Barber and owned a beauty shop since the 1940's...

Hello hello,

This bottle precedes by twenty some years your Dad's dates there. Asa left Coca-Cola in 1915. Where in the building did you find it? How do you think he came to save it?

2009-great-leaders-asa-candler-pop_650.jpg

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello hello & cccxlcuda,

Exactly what I told him on ABN, he didn't bother to respond to my email though...

OP
OP
H

hello

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A razor is for shaving faces, not fingers! Sheesh, kids nowadays.

Lol, This 50 something year old man was attempting to clean and as I was applying pressure it flipped up and hit my knuckle. Clean cut blood flowed like a son of a gun. Thank the Lord I had super glue and glued it together and it was good as new. Yes I am a healthcare professional and super glue has been used in and on the body since the 60's.

OP
OP
H

hello

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello hello,

This bottle precedes by twenty some years your Dad's dates there. Asa left Coca-Cola in 1915. Where in the building did you find it? How do you think he came to save it?

2009-great-leaders-asa-candler-pop_650.jpg

Okay Surf, my father like many others was a collector of many things MAINLY MONEY. I used to say if you place a piece of coal in his hand in a week you would have a diamond. Due to the fact that he held on to money like he did his was able to afford the finer things in life. He not only owned his barbershop and beauty shop he owned apartments as well. My father grew up in the great depression and people that went through that era were more inclined to save more than they should. Okay enough of the family history for now. Not sure if you know how some barbershops operated back in those days so here you go with this piece of that puzzle. Gangsters, Pimps, gamblers and numbers runners would rent out back rooms in barbershops. This appears to be normal to the many seeing a man in and out of these establishments. You ask were in the barber shop was the bottle located. His Shop had the styling area a back room and an office so the bottle along with many other collectibles was in the office for decoration. If he were still alive I would ask what possessed him to hang on to it. My father would be in his 90's if he were still alive. I do hope this information is helpful as this is all I have.

OP
OP
H

hello

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly what I told him on ABN, he didn't bother to respond to my email though...

Epackage, I did see your email and my reply didnt go through it got stuck in my drafts box. Thank you for the information I do appreciate your enlightening information regarding everything but mostly how people are regarding valuations. You are a good member willing to help others and not just look at whats in it for you. A.D. only wanted that bottle for pure profit as the same person bought a bottle from him for 7000.00 dollars.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes he does, but I have serious doubts the sheik would be willing to pay that for your bottle. I think AD would get stuck owning it forever if he pays you that kind of money for it, I say strike while the iron is hot...

May 13, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I know this is an old thread, but I live in Litchfield, and while I'm not old enough to remember the bottle, I do remember walking past the old Litchfield Bottling building when I was a kid. It used to set so close to the street, that the sidewalk was at the roadside and the building wall on the west side, leaned out so far that I afraid to walk past it.
The building has long since been torn down and now our Fire Dept is in that location.
I just found the same bottle, but unfortunately the top is broken off. It's nice to see how it would have looked with the paper label on it. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions