Unlisted Colorado crown cap came out of the dirt yesterday

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy to all ! , we did it again,another unlisted Colorado bottle , spoke to the author of the Colorado beverage bottle book last night,and he confirmed it was not in his records. I'm not saying it is a one of a kind,just unlisted. How can you not enjoy this hobby !!!!! Bottle is heavy ,no chips ,no cracks. embossed " Manitou Mineral Water Co LTD Waterous & M.M.W.Co and is a deeper greenish aqua. Keep your shovels dirty

Attachments

• DSCF5048.JPG
    DSCF5048.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCF5050.JPG
    DSCF5050.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF5051.JPG
    DSCF5051.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 101

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another home run for PPCharlie. Nice find and congratulations!

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a really great find. I'm a novice to this hobby but this gives me so much hope to find amazing bottles and glass. Keep it up and please share everything you find with us!

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find, with all the info about the company on the internet it's kinda hard to think that the Colorado Beverage Book author didn't know about it...congrats

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How Sweet!!

I bet it feels like you discovered a cure for some age long disease?

That is to cool.....Congrats!!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Manitou Mineral Water Co. LTD, Waterous

Hey Charlie,

I think one of the reasons it's missing from the book is because it's Canadian.

Have a gander at the History of Manitou Beach:

"People came by rail when Watrous became a division point of the Canadian National Railway. Excursion trains arrived from the four main cities. The tourists would ride the train to Watrous and then take a shuttle taxi to the resort."

L

l2hunt

Not Canadian in my opinion, it would be Manitou Springs, CO.!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Middle of the night greetings,

You may be right, but please explain two things, "Manitou Mineral Water Co LTD Waterous," the Limited & the "Waterous." It was the LTD that got my attention initially, and got me looking around. Why would a Colorado bottle have that "Waterous"? I did not see either at the links you listed, Jim...

loc796-bottlecir1890.jpg

r620-30edc653af03986f1f82878bf032418f.jpg

A mystery for sure...

"“It is the great mystery of Manitou Springs,” said Dave Wolverton, president of Manitou’s Mineral Springs Foundation, a local nonprofit that works to share the history of the springs and keep them flowing. “A lot of people rightly wonder what is going on over there.” Manitou has 'world's best' water - but good luck finding a bottle

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning all , Thanks for all the replies ! Epackage, there have been quite a few unknown bottles/varients that have come out since the book was wrote,even the author didnt know about them. Surf ,thanks for all the info !!! This bottle was dug in Manitou Springs Colorado,that being said,I have been diggin bots since I was 14 and full well know that bottles travelled ,on horse back, in wagons,and on trains,I found a druggist in Cripple Creek once that was all in spanish and from Mexico,,,, with that being said,there is a denver whiskey flask ,that also say's Waterous. But with your picture,I am kindof leaning toward it being Canadian as well,will be letting the author know ,that this may very well be Canadian. Once again Thanks to all,Have a great day 8-)

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought the same thing when I saw the LTD. Surf, but I have seen that on other USA bottles, in fact Cunningham Glass Company from Pittsburg used Limited from 1886-1907.

I'm having a hard time believing that you found a Manitou bottle from Canada in Manitou Springs Colorado PPC, yes botles do get around but the COINKYDINK that it would take for that bottle to be found where you found is too much of a stretch for me to believe...

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a real head scratcher for sure since there is a "Watrous Saskatchewan", I guess it could just be misspelled Waterous on the bottle, but the fact it was dug in Manitou Springs Colorado is making my brain ache...LOL

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Charlie,

You might contact the guys at Mineral Springs Foundation, Manitou Springs, Colorado, I would think they'd have some historical information, perhaps even a bottle collection... Have you checked with the Historical Society at Miramont Castle?

Seems both Springs are surrounded by much legend: Legend of Manitou Springs

It would be a Coals to Newcastle situation of bringing a Canadian Manitou to Manitou Springs, Colorado, but stranger things...

You can almost draw a straight line North to South between the 2 springs, only a 1000 miles distant.

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Epackage, I agree,quite the coinkydink ! I also have to correct myself ,,, the Denver whiskey say's "watrous" not "waterous"

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of three different dumps where the Ute Chief Mineral Water Co dumped all their bottles,when they had a sanitaton problem, Most of the bottles were broken, but some survived,we have found quite a few whole Ute Chief bottles & a Ute Chief seltzer complete with the top,also some pikes peak mineral water bottles,and this M.M.W came from one of these dumps. Maybe it actually is from Manitou Colo, Maybe someone from Canada came to see the other M.M.W.Co,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
So, most of the people posting on this thread... Professionals? Masters degree in antique bottles..and geography...also maybe psychology? haha, keep it up you guy's! :icon_thumright:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As my pappy used to say... Be careful where you step

ferguson

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This bottle is a Saskatchewan Canada bottle, there is a potbelly mate circa 1900.I am a Saskatchewan born and raised collector of 40 yrs and this is one our best soda bottles.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread