Brisley Drug Company, Prescott, Arizona

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recently acquired some stuff that a friend is having me sell for her. One of the items is this medicine bottle, very crude, early, embossed Brisley Drug Company Leading Pharmacist Prescott, Arizona 105_6697.JPG 105_6699.JPG Any help on age or value. I know some Arizona Drug Store bottles command pretty good prices

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it said Colorado ,I could probably help with the age and price , buuut,I cant. Very nice Ariz druggist though !

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say 1910, + or - 10 years, $20-40 if perfect, $10-15 in that condition. If it were a territory bottle it would be more valuable. Others may think different...

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Photo_10485.jpg

"DATE TAKEN

TITLE
Interior, Brisley Drug Company Store

DESCRIPTION
Harold Brisley’s children Harold and Mabel are s
hown sitting in the chairs of the drugstore,
which was located at the corner of Cortez and
Gurley Streets." WhatWasThere | Explore Photos

"Harry Brisley, a native of London, England, came to Prescott and set up his drugstore on Whiskey Row in 1893. He remained in business until the sale of the store to W.S. Bontag in 1925. From early on, he was a big booster of the climate, scenic beauties of the area, and of other attractions. A native of London, where he had completed a rigorous apprenticeship, he was joined by a cousin, T. Ed Litt, a Canadian, born in Stratford, Ontario, who soon chose to move to Tucson, where he was in business at the corner of Congress and Stone in the downtown until 1949...

Of great interest, historically, is the scope of Brisley’s business as described in the small type on the face of the envelope below the firm’s name. "Harry Brisley, Leading Prescription Pharmacists and General Merchants. Orders at Wholesale Solicited and Receive Prompt Attention and Close Prices. Our Lines Embrace "Everything Curative" and Large Assortments of Stationary, Toilet Goods, Cigars, Liquors, Garden Seeds, Etc., Etc.". It shows the spread of the drugstore from the classic prescription druggist’s and its patent medicines (the "chemist’s shop" in Britain) into sundry other activities." Harry Brisley, early Prescott booster | Sharlot Hall Museum Library & ArchivesSharlot Hall Museum Library & Archives

bui139p.jpg

"The Mountain City Drug Store started in 1887 as a pharmacy on Montezuma Street owned by Dr. R.K. Robinson. In 1890, Dr. Robinson took Harry Brisley as a partner and the Mountain City name came in to use. By 1893, Brisley became sole owner and in 1895 moved the store into the Hotel Burke Building. From 1895 to 1897 the store’s name was changed to the Hotel Burke Pharmacy but in late 1897, Brisley started to use the Mountain City name in ads again. By late 1898, Brisley was arranging to purchase a new store at the corner of Cortez and Gurley Streets. In February of 1899, the move occurred and Brisley sold the Mountain City Drug Store to John M. Hay. Brisley’s new store, the Corner Drug Store and the Mountain City Drug store, both burned in the citywide fire of July 15th, 1900. Harry Brisley rebuilt his pharmacy and called it the Brisley Drug ompany, which he operated until 1925. The Mountain City Drug Store was rebuilt as Hildreth’s Drug Store and opened in 1901. Several variants exist of the Mountain City Drug Store bottles. The first has the initials R & B in the center of the ribbon and was utilized by Robinson & Brisley from 1890 to 1892. The second is the same style bottle with the monogram HB in the center of the ribbon and was used in 1893. The third variant has no base markings and was utilized around 1899. All of these variants have no picture on the smaller sizes." http://www.fohbc.org/PDF_Files/PictureDrugStores_MikeMiller.pdf

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll give you $20.00 for it - PM me.

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the links Surf. It is a W.T. Co. bottle, but to look at the mold seams, and feel the glass, I swore it was older, than early 1900's. But the Company name embossed on the bottle, and your links, all point to that time frame. As far as price, if its worth $20 I am good with that, I just don't want to sell her bottle for $20, if its worth $80

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions