Discovered a c.1890s dumpsite and dug this blob-top.

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0743.JPG

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!I dream of finding an old dump like that to dig every night.

Can't wait to see what else you turn up.

SWEET!!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Cycluran,

Congratulations on finding a swell spot to dig. I hope you camouflaged it, in your absence.

Is there a blue aqua wax sealer canning jar to the right rear of your group photo? Left rear, there is a large green bottle with a fluted neck. Who is that guy?

When you have more time, I'd like some proper introductions to more of these finds of yours.

il_340x270.316988697.jpg

Notice the ad for Lord Fairfax Whisky in this Alexandria Gazette 19 November 1908 ? Library of Virginia paper. 2nd column from the right, above the fold. Official gazette of the United States Patent Office - United States. Patent Office

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The blue jar/canister is very thin. I don't think it was used for canning, rather, it seems more like somethng from a pharmacy/medicinal, an apothocary jar, I think it's called. The green long-neck bottle doesn't have a mark of any kind on it and I think it is a decorative piece of some sort. The top is applied and there are bubbles in the glass. I think the Fairfax bottle is from a drug store in Alexandria, owned and operated by Dr. Orlando Fairfax around the same time period as your article. I'll post more glamour shots from the haul as I am able.

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi'ya Cycluran,

The Fairfax is a whiskey flask. Get a copy of the DC bottle book, should you not believe me.

"...hutch sodas (including an FH Finley & Son Washington DC and three different varieties of Jas McCuen Alexandria); a Jos Tharp & Sons Washington, DC half-pint amber strap-sided flask; a clear Fairfax & Co. Alexandria whiskey; amber Washington DC and Roanoke Cokes; not to mention an 1859 Indian head penny, horseshoes, marbles, and various other artifacts..." http://www.potomacbottlecollectors.org/news/Pontil2004-07.pdf

Dr. Fairfax was a surgeon:

"Orlando Fairfax (24 Feb. 1806-11 Jan. 1882), the third son of Thomas, Lord Fairfax, attended sessions 1-3 (1825-1827) at UVa. He then studied at the University of Pennsylvania, earning an M.D. in 1829. Dr. Fairfax married his cousin, Mary Randolph Cary, daughter of William Jefferson Cary of Carysbrooke, VA, on 29 May 1829. The couple had four sons and three daughters, including Orlando, Randolph, Ethelbert, Thomas, Monimia, and Mary Edith. Dr. Fairfax practiced medicine in Richmond and Alexandria, VA, and served on the vestry of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church of Alexandria, VA. During the Civil War, he was a Surgeon in the Confederate States Army (CSA)." Students of the University of Virginia, 1825-1874

$(KGrHqNHJEwFGT3bpvM9BRsBHjtbrQ~~60_3.JPG

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat! Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know what the little blue bottles were used for? They have no markings.

Hi'ya Cycluran,

The Fairfax is a whiskey flask. Get a copy of the DC bottle book, should you not believe me.

"...hutch sodas (including an FH Finley & Son Washington DC and three different varieties of Jas McCuen Alexandria); a Jos Tharp & Sons Washington, DC half-pint amber strap-sided flask; a clear Fairfax & Co. Alexandria whiskey; amber Washington DC and Roanoke Cokes; not to mention an 1859 Indian head penny, horseshoes, marbles, and various other artifacts..." http://www.potomacbottlecollectors.org/news/Pontil2004-07.pdf

Dr. Fairfax was a surgeon:

"Orlando Fairfax (24 Feb. 1806-11 Jan. 1882), the third son of Thomas, Lord Fairfax, attended sessions 1-3 (1825-1827) at UVa. He then studied at the University of Pennsylvania, earning an M.D. in 1829. Dr. Fairfax married his cousin, Mary Randolph Cary, daughter of William Jefferson Cary of Carysbrooke, VA, on 29 May 1829. The couple had four sons and three daughters, including Orlando, Randolph, Ethelbert, Thomas, Monimia, and Mary Edith. Dr. Fairfax practiced medicine in Richmond and Alexandria, VA, and served on the vestry of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church of Alexandria, VA. During the Civil War, he was a Surgeon in the Confederate States Army (CSA)." Students of the University of Virginia, 1825-1874

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
...Do you happen to know what the little blue bottles were used for? They have no markings.

Hey Cy,

I'm not getting a good sense of them from the long distance overhead photo. Could you put up some individual portraits in natural light, please. They could have contained a number of different things. I still wanna see that jar and the green guy, and any others that tickle your fancy.

>>> The Propaganda for Reform in Proprietary Medicines ... -Sulpho Lythin <<<

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking dig !!! Congrats !!! Now get back out there !!!

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking dig !!! Congrats !!! Now get back out there !!!

O.K. This is the last of it. Things started to peeter out and, if there's anything intact left down there, someone else can give it a go. I metal detected the area afterwards and still cannot find any evidence of a house there. The only old square nails I found were in the pit, along with some "sugar" bricks. The place must have been bulldozed at some point. I did get another nice old blob-top soda bottle, with the brass plug still there. That was my last bottle and my goal to find before finishing up this dig. IMG_0769.JPG

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0772.JPG The bottle reads, F.X. SPITZNACEL BUFFALO N.Y.

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0776.JPG This small bottle has a sloppily applied top that I initially mistook for a crack and a pontil bottom.

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just before filling in the pit, I found this Mallory, Wheeler & Company lock (1865-1910). IMG_0825.JPG

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread