Discovered a c.1890s dumpsite and dug this blob-top.

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discovered a c.1890's dumpsite and dug this blob-top.

Actually I pulled about 200 intact bottles from the pit before calling it a weekend. I'm at work, so I pulled this picture from an old ebay auction. I can find no information on this maker. Can anyone tell me anything about this blob-top? It says Matthew Johnston New York and has a large J on the other side. bott.jpg

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
200?....now you know we want to see some of them...stop teasing us.

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
200?....now you know we want to see some of them...stop teasing us.

When I get home this evening, I'll add the pit photo and the pic of all the "keepers" I brought home; you know there's alot when you only even consider keeping bottles without chips or cracks. I think my favorites are the strap-flasks. My back couldn't take any more digging with that govt. issue entrenching tool. My next day off, I'll be back again with a bigger shovel.

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ForumRunner_20130930_145702.png

I was metal-detecting and when I looked down at a trashy signal, I saw the broken-off top of an old medicine bottle. In the middle of the woods.....house site? There was no evidence of a foundation, but after digging four inches toward the signal, I found an intact, aqua medicine bottle from a pharmacist in Washington. Noticing a depression behind me, the digging ensued.

ForumRunner_20130930_145810.png

Five hours later, I had a pit deep enough to conceal my whereabouts, should anyone go hiking nearby, unless they saw the dirt and bits of glass and debrit flying through the air. Bottles I'm keeping on one side and those imperfect on the other.

The pic of the ones I brought home and rinsed is on a camera at home. I'll add it later. Any advice on how to best clean the cruddy stained ones would be appreciated!

Last edited:

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think its 1890s, probably more like 1870s based on the form. Somebody will tell me if I'm mistaken. Nice blob either way!

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of glass! Good luck and be safe
Thanks. I quickly wore holes in two of the fingers on my gloves and I got a few nicks. They're looking good though.

From what I gathered, based on what I found and info from the net...

The site dated from late 1800's to early 1900's. I found a 1900 Barber quarter in the pit.
They ate lots of steak and ham (bones and Worcestershire bottles)
Did alot of baking (baking powder bottles)
Had horses and oxen? (curry comb & several shoes, one that measures over 7 inches across)
Had tummy issues (light blue M.O.M. bottles)
Lots of medicine bottles
Loved Whiskey, Wine, and Beer.
Old two and three-prong pitchforks for bailing hay
Coal oil lamps
Lots of blue and white china
Perhaps from Denmark. (I found a creepy sterling silver pin with a face that stared up at me just after I started digging. It was marked with the stamp of a Danish artist. It's now my avatar.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think its 1890s, probably more like 1870s based on the form. Somebody will tell me if I'm mistaken. Nice blob either way!

That was one of the last bottles I pulled from deep underneath the outer edge of my hole. I think you're right and the oldest bottles are still buried under there. I can't wait to go back.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either a beer or soda water. That bottle probably does fall into the 1880-1890 range. Your pit looks very promising, can't wait to see more pictures. Good luck and keep us informed please.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Alot of potential there, that squat blob is a nice one...

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the large J on the other side resemble a fish hook? Can we see a shot of it?

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to come back for another look. Very impressed with your site and looking forward to seeing what else you pull from that area.

OP
OP
Cycluran

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0737.JPG

Here's what I brought home yesterday.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cycluran for the extra shot. It's not the logo i had i thought it might be. I was thinking of a large j that was actually a fish hook. Different bottler i suppose. Thats a nice little squat and i hope you bring us some more

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread