Question for the bottle digging veterans

JOliver80

Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple weeks ago I received permission to dig what I thought would be an incredible dump with huge potential. Where I am digging there is a row of houses all built between 1820 and 1830. Behind them is a very large dump which I have dug for about 3 days now. So far all I have found are prohibition era bottles and the occasional common late throw (earliest dates to about 1890s). I have only gone about 3-4 feet down but the soil is changing color and it seems to be the bottom. My question is should I pick a new area or keep digging deeper. Theres is tons here but I am not seeing anything that dates back anywhere close to when these houses were built.
Thanks in advance for any info

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I have only gone about 3-4 feet down but the soil is changing color and it seems to be the bottom.

Hey JOliver,

That's not terribly deep for a dump, especial one of such age. I'd keep digging, beyond wherever you think you have hit bottom. Dumps often have multiple caps.

Dig, dig, dig!

hshf_img_dig.gif

Tigue710

Greenie
Sep 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
research the area to see what was going behind the houses at an earlier date. I once dug a dump exactly like this behind a row of houses the same age and it bottomed out at 4 feet with nothing old underneath. Come to find out the hill I was digging into was created when a large area was dug out in the 1920's for a construction project and then people threw trash in there after. There wasn't anything old to be found. I did find a figural Dr Fisch's Bitters in the attic of one of the houses though! If the area your digging hasn't been messed with or used for something over the years there should be old stuff somewhere. I'd pop a bunch of test holes into the ground to look for older sections.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread