New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have pulled a few bottles here and there while metal detecting (just started that also in May 2013) In my travels I remembered a spot where I thought I might come across a few old bottles. I have not started searching with a rod yet, and I have a few more places in mind to search. The one place I'm going to try and search for the privys and do my first privy dig. I have a question and was hoping you guys might be able to help me out. This particular bottle has a chunk out of the top and bottom. Does this make the value 0 or just diminish the value somewhat? Please check out this bottle I found, it has raised letters that say "Continental Brewing Company Philada" I Googled it and found a couple links. It has a seam down both sides, a number/s 1145 on the bottom.

Continental Brewing Company History

CONTINENTAL BREWING COMPANY

Looks like maybe # 6 in the second link. Here are my photos.
Also was wondering what maybe it might be worth?
Thanks for looking. HH
Brad

Attachments

• SAM_0115.JPG
    SAM_0115.JPG
    330 KB · Views: 101
  • SAM_0122.JPG
    SAM_0122.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 95
  • SAM_0114.JPG
    SAM_0114.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 99
  • SAM_0116.JPG
    SAM_0116.JPG
    323.3 KB · Views: 97
  • SAM_0117.JPG
    SAM_0117.JPG
    503.9 KB · Views: 83
  • SAM_0120.JPG
    SAM_0120.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 90
  • SAM_0121.JPG
    SAM_0121.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 101

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Brad,

Unfortunately, value wise, to another collector, it's a zero. Makes a nice place holder, until you find a complete one.

It looks like a tooled crown cap and dates to probably 1905 -1920. It would not have a lot of value, were it complete.

Go forth and dig a better one…

continental07.jpg

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day when I was on the beach and found that old york safe I found a really cool looking bottle but the spout was busted like this bottle. I just left it there thinking if it's broke then it's worthless. This could help me weed out in the future. I hope your right, I'd hate to be throwing out treasure. From what I have seen so far you seem to be a very knowledgeable person.

Would love to hear from some others on this, come on guys, what's your take?

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll tell you once you make a nice score digging bottles become addictive it's gets in your blood lol. It's a shame that bottle is broken but odds are where you found that one there's more. Also on rare occasions a broken especially if its quite rare still has a little bit of value to it. The good ones are out there you just have to dig.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be constructing a spring steel rod very soon, I will be back at that spot when I get my rod. Thanks to both of you guys for your help.
Surf I got the SS rod idea from your post on another thread. I also did some reading from there about probing rods. It's going to be a busy cold time for me to get in some hunting where I won't get Chiggers, once they come back out, the woods are almost off limits, of course there is still permethrin bug spray.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread