Help determining which bottles are the best to take from a dump

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
I'm planning to dig a dump that was used from the early 1900's to about 1950's and is LOADED with bottles doll parts metal ect. how do I determine which bottles to take? I have a friend who has been going back for years and always comes away with bags full of treasures. With that many to chose from besides not grabbing brokens or bottles that are modern what else should I use to weed out the commons and grab the ones that are worth the effort? I have narrowed myself to trying to find poisons and medicines and ones with raised embossed letters. I'm also trying to find uncommon colors but I don't want to limit myself so much that I miss a diamond in the pile. Any advice from experienced bottle pickers would be hugely appreciated. Please let me know if anything I have decided to use to narrow my picks is a bad idea. Thank you!

backwoods tracker

Jan 2, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a question that could bring a broad scope of correct replies. But definitely look for whiskey, medicine, and bitters bottles. There are some soda (soft drink) bottles that will fetch a good price. And let's not forget barbers bottles. Anything cobalt blue no matter the age. Depression glass, milk glass, and carnival glass are very collectable. Also pay attention to embossing details. Sometimes you can find an embossing error that may increase the value.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure others will pipe in soon with more good tips for you. Good luck hunting.

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello seeker,

I get the sense that you do not know much about old glass. If your date estimates are correct, you could find some interesting examples of transitional bottles from the days that bottle manufacturing shifted from the mouth blown to the machine made.

I'm imagining this to be a project for the Spring, which gives you plenty of time to learn about bottles. Here's a site that should be required reading for anyone thinking of bottle hunting: Historic Bottle Website - Homepage

Keep your eyes peeled for sodas, beers, druggists, veterinarian, milks, fruit jars, and assorted other goodies.

Good luck.

c81e41.jpg

OP
OP
KGCnewbieseeker

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
You are right I know absolutely nothing about bottles haha and yes I'm going in mid march so I'm trying to learn as much as I can before hand. I will goggle the bottle types suggested. Thank you both for the help! :)

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Mid-March, hereabouts has seen the ground still frozen a foot, or a foot & a half. Chopping bottles out of frozen ground can end badly, I know from experience.

Below that, you oughta be good.

2.jpg

backwoods tracker

Jan 2, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have quite a few bitters and medicines I have found here in Texas that are embossed New York. If I'm finding em here you should surely have no problem finding them there. Good luck and happy hunting.

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
AT Pro-Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with backwoods tracker, "Anything cobalt blue no matter the age." Why? Well, because it's such a beautiful color, and it is very hard to find. They are always BROKEN! I have actually thought of doing a study on the mind and its attraction to breaking colorful glass. The more colorful, the more people want to break it. For real…I'm on a rant here, but original message stays intact: I agree with backwoods tracker and cobalt blue:)

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with backwoods tracker, "Anything cobalt blue no matter the age." Why? Well, because it's such a beautiful color, and it is very hard to find. They are always BROKEN! I have actually thought of doing a study on the mind and its attraction to breaking colorful glass. The more colorful, the more people want to break it. For real…I'm on a rant here, but original message stays intact: I agree with backwoods tracker and cobalt blue:)

I second that, especially if want to rip-off the artsy fartsy crowd with bromo-seltzer bottles...If the temps are cold by you, make sure you take along a lot of old socks, preferably wool to cover the bottles you plan on taking home. Since the temperature changes, will crack the bottles...

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank your "surf" for the web site,
i to have a bottle dump dating from 1910 to 1940s

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread