Live Dig at an 1800s Farm Dump for Bottles

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are any plowed fields still on that farm you might want to train your eyes to see stone also.
Plowed fields in areas like that are also great for metal detecting

ForumRunner_20141019_120824.png

ForumRunner_20141019_120917.png

ForumRunner_20141019_121000.png

ForumRunner_20141019_121152.png

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
All of the 30 acres are woods however the 73 acres sold over the last 150 years i am not sure

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a foundation, and all that broken glass on top of the rocks is where somone had target practice with their guns or bored kids broke the bottles on the rocks. I would detect that area, woods detecting is my favorite, and doing in and around those rocks could be a great area. Anything that was farmed at one time in the field could be another detecting hot spot.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you understand what I meant all the rocks are there for the purpose of building what was a foundation it's not just on one side you're only seeing what hasn't already been destroyed by time and people I believe all of those stones were part of a foundation.. We're talking about very old foundations.
That should be an absolutely amazing place for metal detecting if you have a decent metal detector or even detect at all there's also a good possibility it's already been dug and detected because lots of people know what to look for and look for exactly that type of thing.
That entire property around those things anywhere you can swing a coil close to the ground especially in fields that have been plowed already should have loads of very old artifacts like flat buttons musket balls and.. Very old coins and who knows what else

Last edited:
OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
There are twenty three other rock piles there that is the only one that looks like a building or had proof it could have been a building at one time and it is the only one that had any artifacts and bottles and I only search that one because it is a few feet from the house not a few hundred yards I am grateful that the only rock pile is the closest one to the house!!! ( the next one is double the length between the house and the rock pile)

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the artifacts are going to be several inches at least underground the bottles that you're finding mixed in with the rocks are probably from a later period.
Anyway good luck with that.
Just think about this for a second do you think the one you're messing with now is still going to look like a building when you're done pulling it apart? .... Maybe that's why the other ones don't because other people have already been there they just didn't want to go to the one right by the house

Last edited:
OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Maybe you are right how will I find these bottles several inches underground?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I wouldn't be as concerned about the bottles as I would the things you will find metal detecting... But if for some reason you just have your heart set on bottles the Internet is your friend just search the term bottle digging you should see plenty... Find something to use for a probe

Last edited:
OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Where should I look around and detect is there any side in particular?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The south side is a good suggestion regardless of where you are in the US it's the side that gets the most sun.. That was important for many reasons and still is.
I would really try to look at some old maps of your area

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Thank you for the link any other information would be great

mrmozambique13

Sep 10, 2014
Riverside,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites XL Pro with Black Max 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait, I’m confused, live dig? Where’s the digging? Just take a Probe and feel around for glass…I’ve told you this from the get go. Also you can find out a lot of information yourself by taking the time to research stuff, I know it takes a little investigating on your part but it’s well worth it. Dumps were usually kept away from the homestead and found in creeks, rivers and low lying areas out of site from the homestead. As far as metal detecting goes, start in places where people have been, it’s that simple. Again…this goes with Investigative thinking…..Hmmmm people read books under trees or by their house…maybe they had coins in their pockets that fell out? Maybe they sat on the porch….Try to find some information that will give you a better idea of the average life of the colonial time and after…

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread