Uncovered this while cleaning it up.....Need Help on how to fully clean...

OP
OP
B

BENTHOR

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have actually started out "soft" using only a green scrubbie and some CLR for now. I will scrub a little more each day and today I applied some barkeeper's friend to the jug to soak overnight. Looks to be from West Troy Porter and Fraser. Already looks a lot better but will update the photo when completely clean. I would use some kind of acid, I just don't feel like I have the facilities to do it.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phosphoric acid is dangerous stuff . . . PLUS, it is the only easily-obtained acid which will etch glass! Stick with the muriatic acid, or better yet, the oxalic acid (wood bleach).
Yes, Phosphoric acid is dangerous stuff but no more so the muriatic acid. I have never seen it etch glass though, rather the opposite. The glass and glazed crocks that I have used it on came up nice and shiny. The next time I can get out bottle diving I'll pick up a few rust colored bottles and I will document the cleaning process and make a post for every one to see. I have tried bleach but didn't have much luck with that, but it sure whitened up the marine growth on the bottles.
ZDD

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Phosphoric acid is dangerous stuff but no more so the muriatic acid. I have never seen it etch glass though, rather the opposite. The glass and glazed crocks that I have used it on came up nice and shiny. The next time I can get out bottle diving I'll pick up a few rust colored bottles and I will document the cleaning process and make a post for every one to see. I have tried bleach but didn't have much luck with that, but it sure whitened up the marine growth on the bottles.
ZDD

Would like to see this process

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Ooops! Senior moment! It's hydrofluoric acid, not phosphoric acid, that I was referring to as etching glass. As far as I can determine, phosphoric acid, like most acids, will not eat up your bottles and vitrified glazes.

OP
OP
B

BENTHOR

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before and after got a couple more cleaning sessions to go to get it pristine.....I used CLR and barkeeper's friend with some elbow grease. GEDC2210.JPG GEDC2860.JPG

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent. We see the small areas of unstained pristine grey glaze at the bottom area, but most of the piece is stained rusty brown. A long soak treatment with strong peroxide will make this piece clean and original bright grey, but it will take weeks if not months, or even a year, to do so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread