CHECK THIS OUT.....ODD FIND

BENTHOR

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SO I DUG THIS UP ONLY TO REALIZE THERE IS NO PICTURE INSIDE THE FRAME, IT IS JUST BLACK INK SMEARED TO THE GLASS WHERE THE PICTURE WAS BLACK, NOTHING ELSE! IT CAN BE SEEN IN A CERTAIN LIGHT....I WONDER WHO THE MYSTERY LADY IS........... LATE 1800'S FOR SURE. GEDC2215.JPG GEDC2212.JPG GEDC2215.JPG GEDC2212.JPG

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe you have an early pre-CW era Ambrotype. The film was actually the glass! The emulsions were applied to the glass and the picture exposed directly to it.
Unfortunately War images that used those types of processes and later those that used glass as negatives were lost, because after the Civil War, many Americans didn't want to see the war pictures anymore, so the glass was sold to homeowners and esp. those with greenhouses and the sun on the glass eventually bleached out years of American history. There were thousands more pictures of that period, than are left today, because of this sad act. That is a very neat find!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Louisa May Alcott...awesome!

no clue really... great find though.

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! Any recorded history to the property? I found a couple early printing plates last year with portraits on them. They don't come around very often.

OP
OP
B

BENTHOR

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! Any recorded history to the property? I found a couple early printing plates last year with portraits on them. They don't come around very often.

No history behind this photo....It came out of an Old Town dump. Would be nice to have a story behind it.

OP
OP
B

BENTHOR

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you have an early pre-CW era Ambrotype. The film was actually the glass! The emulsions were applied to the glass and the picture exposed directly to it.
Unfortunately War images that used those types of processes and later those that used glass as negatives were lost, because after the Civil War, many Americans didn't want to see the war pictures anymore, so the glass was sold to homeowners and esp. those with greenhouses and the sun on the glass eventually bleached out years of American history. There were thousands more pictures of that period, than are left today, because of this sad act. That is a very neat find!

thanks for the knowledge!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. Glad to see it was recovered and can be viewed by others. Thanks for sharing this with us

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
That is really cool it even cooler that you found that! The picture must've been there a really long time to leave a mark

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Civil War soldier suffering cold, hunger, fatigue, sickness, thirst, and a host of other discomforts and ailments, only had to reach into his pack, pull out the picture of his loved one at home, glance at her stern unsmiling features and say to himself - Yeah, I did the right thing joining the Army...

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Civil War soldier suffering cold, hunger, fatigue, sickness, thirst, and a host of other discomforts and ailments, only had to reach into his pack, pull out the picture of his loved one at home, glance at her stern unsmiling features and say to himself - Yeah, I did the right thing joining the Army...

I'm not too sure, I think she looks great compared to other photos of the time! Worth fighting for! Nice find!

GEDC2215.JPG

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, based on many other photos I've seen she was a pretty good catch

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah she's a real cutie, for real, compared to some pictures from that era, some of those ladies kind of send a chill down my spine. That's certainly a very unique find, congratulations!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Better than bunking with a Dude! jgas

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep it out of direct sun light or she will fad even more.

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, that's pretty cool!
Never seen anything like that before...
but havent been into treasure hunting (other than fossils) very long...
A lot I havent seen. But, that is quite interesting!
Thanks for sharing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread