Bottle found on Saipan

reddirt

Dec 22, 2008
This bottle belongs to a friend of mine who currently resides on Saipan. He said he got it from a guy who found it in a cave there. I have never seen a bottle like it before. Does anyone here have any info on this piece? He describes it as being heavy for its size and he mentioned a large amount of calcium build up is present inside the bottle.

Last edited:

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a bixby

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea, it's a Bixby heavily calcified. if you knock the stuff off you will see the actual bottle.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462551050.272316.jpg

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep the calcium on it. Looks great.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Unlikely to be a Bixby bottle from a cave on Saipan, it seems to me. Plus, I don't see a tapering from bottom to shoulder. Could be a "cotton reel" ink, though, something like this one.
inkstaffordsamberbarrel.jpg
I think that I'd soak the bottle in acid, even in vinegar, to remove the lime. The calcium deposits add nothing to this bottle.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree about removing the calcium deposits. I feel it adds character and helps to tell the story of the bottle. That bottle will never be "mint". 4th picture down sure looks like a bixby bottle but I see it's too small as well.

Last edited:

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462571822.610965.jpg Size doesn't match.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was found in a cave on Saipan, then more than likely it is not a calcified Bixby. More than likely a crude rice small wine bottle for the Japanese Soldiers hiding in those caves.

Mike

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0294(2).JPG Im not sure what kind of bottle it is but my guess as to what it was used for would be a makeshift lantern. I have found several bottles of that size with wicks still in them in caves occupied by the Japanese on Guam and Okinawa. This bottle was found in a cave on Okinawa and just behind it is a Candle holder found in that same cave.

Last edited:

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1309160 Im not sure what kind of bottle it is but my guess as to what it was used for would be a makeshift lantern. I have found several bottles of that size with wicks still in them in caves occupied by the Japanese on Guam and Okinawa. This bottle was found in a cave on Okinawa and just behind it is a Candle holder found in that same cave.

This makes sense to me.

OP
OP
reddirt

reddirt

Dec 22, 2008
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. I'll refer him to this thread.

OP
OP
reddirt

reddirt

Dec 22, 2008
View attachment 1309160 Im not sure what kind of bottle it is but my guess as to what it was used for would be a makeshift lantern. I have found several bottles of that size with wicks still in them in caves occupied by the Japanese on Guam and Okinawa. This bottle was found in a cave on Okinawa and just behind it is a Candle holder found in that same cave.

Wow you have quite the collection of grenades! I have found many over the years but just too afraid to take any.

OP
OP
reddirt

reddirt

Dec 22, 2008
Are there stone ware or ceramic jars/bottles that resemble this bottle. It just seems like the calcium buildup on it is very thick. It doesn't look like any glass is even visible from all the buildup. I have never seen such an extreme case.

I tried searching for ceramic bottles/jars but couldn't come up with a matching example. Maybe ceramic covered in calcium carbonate. But either way its a cool display piece.

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you have quite the collection of grenades! I have found many over the years but just too afraid to take any.
Those are Grenades? Eeeeek i was told they were paper weights!:BangHead:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, they hold the papers in place..........................right before blowing up the den! HAHAHA

Mike

OP
OP
reddirt

reddirt

Dec 22, 2008

Grenades can be used as paper weights. I have seen them being used as patio décor and also have seen them displayed in many homes. Hell I have seen some kind of mortar being used as a foot rest...lol.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea...I am surprised i have all my limbs. lucky for me, I left all the other uxo's alone.

OP
OP
reddirt

reddirt

Dec 22, 2008
Tell me about it. I could have opened up my own UXO museum with all of the stuff I have come across over the years hiking over here.

When were you last on Guam? Did you come across any other WW2 relics?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread