Thank you Harry :notworthy:

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it may be older . England had seal bottles in the 1700s . this was a rich mans personal bottle . made closer to 1790s.

OP
OP
landmagnet

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thanks for the information. I will now try to trace the family and report back!

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I think it may be older . England had seal bottles in the 1700s . this was a rich mans personal bottle . made closer to 1790s.

It could be older than the 1850s . . . I thought I saw a 3-piece mold seam, but maybe not. If landmagnet will provide us with a better description of the bottle -- with an image of the lip finish -- we can be more certain about a date.

bottle_seals.JPG

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Corton is more than an area of Burgundy. "Corton" is also used as a varietal name for wine from that limited area of Burgundy. I think the Englishman who had the bottle produced wanted to identify the contents. It may have been a bit of a brag because Corton was limited in availability.
This post is a good lesson for me on the importance of the lip finish in dating a bottle.

OP
OP
landmagnet

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be older than the 1850s . . . I thought I saw a 3-piece mold seam, but maybe not. If landmagnet will provide us with a better description of the bottle -- with an image of the lip finish -- we can be more certain about a date.

More pics added to post. Hope they are what you need.

OP
OP
landmagnet

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your information. this is a new subject for me! How to value it though ??

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent post and comments. That surely is in stupendous condition for its age. Must have been hidden away in a wall or attic. That pontil is stupendous I reckon it could gag a horse. :occasion14:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
epackage has me thinking.....I could see this on Hecklers being offered estimated for a bit more, maybe 2 to 4 thousand US. Its just so clean. Are there ANY cracks, chips, scratches, at all, regardless of size? Is it a quart? How tall? Diameter?

OP
OP
landmagnet

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please go back to epackage's first reply which gives the link to the Corning museum's example, which gives height weight etc. There are very few marks and no chips at all. Being in the uk I am not aware of Hecklers, but will look them up.
Thanks for your interest and comments. That would be something if that value is correct !!

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you mind telling us how you acquired it?

OP
OP
landmagnet

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you mind telling us how you acquired it?

Sure, been in the family from the days of great grandfather. No one knowa how he aquired it. The smart guess is that the bottle was originally owned by a member of the Longman Publishing Company. There was a william longman who came across the pond in the 1670's to Virginia, and william longmans in the publishing company later.
That's all we know!!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and follow-up by all involved in this thread. Very educational for all and we could use more interaction like this. [emoji106]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread