Turn mold beer base

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this old beer bottle and recognized it as a export beer mouth blown in a turn mold, not a dip mold. I would probably date this one sometime between 1875- 1890 but was wondering about its base. It looks like some pontiled bottles I have seen, but I thought that pontils were out by this date range and that turn or paste molds were generally never partnered with pontil bases.The stretched out bubbles definitly show the stretching of the glass and There are the usual faint horizontal lineage from being turned...but the base? Am I just seeing things?I have read that there were early turn mold produced bottles but not sure about this one and its base...maybe a suction scar???. Thanks vn.

bot.JPG bottl.JPG DSC09998.JPG DSC00021.JPG mnbuioiuy.JPG

Last edited:

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always wondered about this!

I've compared two turn-moulded bottles that were the exact same with the exception that one had this speckling on the bottom and the other didn't. I think it could happen for two reasons: maybe sometimes the base of the bottle (or gather of glass, really) has trouble turning or kind of sticks and doesn't turn at all, while the rest gets spun and stretched, and so you still get the concentric rings up the body of the bottle but on the base you're left with some impressions from the paste or whatever was used. Or, maybe it's simply a kind of whittling effect, from the hot glass hitting a cooler mould surface. The steam and air can escape more easily up the sides, but it's trapped on the bottom and sort of pokes at the glass in an attempt to get out.

But really I have no idea!

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always wondered about this!

I've compared two turn-moulded bottles that were the exact same with the exception that one had this speckling on the bottom and the other didn't. I think it could happen for two reasons: maybe sometimes the base of the bottle (or gather of glass, really) has trouble turning or kind of sticks and doesn't turn at all, while the rest gets spun and stretched, and so you still get the concentric rings up the body of the bottle but on the base you're left with some impressions from the paste or whatever was used. Or, maybe it's simply a kind of whittling effect, from the hot glass hitting a cooler mould surface. The steam and air can escape more easily up the sides, but it's trapped on the bottom and sort of pokes at the glass in an attempt to get out.

But really I have no idea!

There are so many types of glass blowing procedures and characteristics that sometimes it is difficult to tell what you are lookin at. Nice experts here though on TNET, a great bunch of folks to help us through the bubbles of bottle life.Thanks for your thoughts on this one,vn.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are correct on the date range!

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's great here, I learn something new every day from you folks.

By the way I love that in situ pic! 'Made it my new desktop background.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions