Help Identifying Old Bottle

Kathleen Anne

Jan 18, 2018
Grapeview, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCF6509.JPG DSCF6512.JPG DSCF6510.JPG
I found this old bottle in a stream that runs through my property. I was hoping someone might know approximately how old it was and what its contents may have been. Thank you for your help.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
questions.gif
It would be very helpful if you could provide dimensions and if there are any marks on the (what appears to be a medicine) bottle.

OP
OP
K

Kathleen Anne

Jan 18, 2018
Grapeview, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is about 3 1/2" tall, the bottom is 1 1/2" in diameter, and the opening is about 1" in diameter. On the bottom there are 3 raised dots evenly spaced around the rim. The neck is really crooked. There are several air bubbles in it also.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say 1890's Probably some sort of medicine or such. The three raised dots are vents in the mold for the glass making process

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030. Minelab 705, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kathleen, That could be a couple of things.

It could be an old generic medicine bottle, or a snuff bottle, that contained powdered tobacco.
The dots on the bottom, represents the strength of the contents. The dots allowed workers to know which label to affix as well.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions