Not all old zink BALL Jar Lids are the same

Beshires1

Feb 5, 2016
Water Valley, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Several home built detectors, a Garrett Money Hunter TR, and a Whites Prizim IV, Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I was lookin at my collection of Jar lids and noticed something I had missed in earlier examinations. I noticed a distinctive raised dot below the Ball engraging on several but not all of the jar lids. As all of my lids were found metal detecting around old house foundations that were removed from property taken over by government for use as a resevoir flood boundary. All of these jarl lids are very old, found in old cellars, and filled privy holes. Some have rubber seals inside the lid next to the milk glass - Porcelain liner. I've found intact mason jars with the rubber around the jars glass ring-shelf with the zink lids on them. I also have found a couple that have what appears to be a yokum seal inside the cap next to the glass liner.And some of the zink lids have a speckled type of finish on the outside of the zink caps. I could go on and on but I'm wondering about the raised dots on some of these lids. Any info ? thanks! 20180114_065958.jpg 20180114_070048.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beshires1

Feb 5, 2016
Water Valley, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Several home built detectors, a Garrett Money Hunter TR, and a Whites Prizim IV, Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been finding more!
these 2 were found in Illinois
s-l1600.jpg
One found on e-bay on says it is a estate find an a 3L Ball mason jar South Carolina
South Carolina Dot Lid.jpg
If this is period correct lid it dates at least 1900 - 1910

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread