Privy dig part 2

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So we got back to the privy and dug another foot or so before we reached bottom. We didn't find any more bottles but did find a few bottle stoppers and shards of glass. We cleaned out the sides, corners, nooks and crannies hoping to find a few older bottles but nothing more. So we have come to the conclusion (purely speculation) that the pit was a privy that was re-purposed to be a septic tank of sorts when plumbing became available. We found over 80 whole bottles mostly turn of the century some from the late 1800's some from as new as the 1920's possibly 1930's. There was a ton of rubble, mostly bricks and stone, some coal, some burnt wood and ash. We figure everything we recovered was used to fill in the pit. We don't think we ever found an actual use layer. Some things that were missing from our recovery's were marbles, toys, doll pieces, seeds, coins leading us to believe if it was a privy it was cleaned out very well before being filled in. We came across two pipes entering the pit one was 4 feet down from the top the other was 5 feet down. The top most pipe is iron and the bottom most is non metallic possibly clay or ceramic. Total depth of the pit was about 7 feet deep by 2' wide by 3' long. We believe the bottom is solid natural stone ledge. The sides are brick from the top down 2 or 3 feet in a beehive shape then stone walls below that to the bottom. The pit is right at the property line straight out from the back of the house about 50' out. So we think re-purposed privy but it could be a septic tank, dry well, cistern, or something else. We do hope to find other privy's on the property as the house was built in the early 1700's. Unfortunately the ground is so full of rock that it's nearly impossible to probe. Got some good input after the 1st post but any and all ideas are still welcome as to what this pit was. All in all it was a huge success being the first "privy" dig for myself and my buddy. 2018-07-13 016 - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG 2018-07-13 017 - Copy.JPG 2018-07-13 016 - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG 2018-07-13 022 - Copy.JPG 2018-07-13 036 - Copy - Copy.JPG 2018-07-13 057 - Copy.JPG 2018-07-13 065 - Copy.JPG Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We separated the rubble and sifted everything so as not to miss any small treasures. That's how we found a few bottle stoppers we would have missed other wise. Got lots of good loam out of it. 2018-07-13 051 - Copy.JPG 2018-07-13 053 - Copy.JPG 2018-07-13 021 - Copy.JPG

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you and your partner did a thorough job of sifting through everything that was removed from the hole . It must have been a tight fit trying to work inside of the less than 2 foot opening. Good luck finding another place to dig there .I think you are right that there must be another hole somoewhere

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome dig, so exciting, and thanks for the great pics. But we're gonna need to see some pics of the whole bottles you found! I guess you probably still have to clean them up eh?

Generally that beehive-shaped top means it's a cistern. I'd be curious to know why they built them like that, if anyone knows!

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Your dig was successful and well documented.
Perhaps someone would have cleaned it out earlier to reuse and never did and a new owner filled it in with the materials you found. I don't think I would like to be in on cleaning out a fresh privy.
Do the pipes in your privy look like they were installed in the original construction or done at a later date?
If i decide to engage the privy vault on my 1860's permission I will take lots of pics and perhaps I will be able to use my trommel to sift the material. Thanks for all your posting.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was real tough, coudn't use a shovel! everything came out by hand and in small buckets!

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, still need to clean up the bottles. I will post some for sure, might be a few days though.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good job. Looks like a lot of work.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to google what a trommel was. I made this sifter very simply using 2x4's and hardware cloth with 1/2" squares. It worked really well.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't really be sure about the pipes, the stone walls are solid but crude and weren't coated over with anything, didn't see any mortar around them either though the brick was mortared.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My back is still screaming at me! haha well worth it though!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wipe those babies off and line them up. I’m ready to see them

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Crap that looks like a scary place to play....what if the walls would have caved in on you? Other than that I enjoyed the pics and story. I too would be down for digging a privy just not sure if I could lower myself into a small hole that deep without shoring up the walls better....

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK here are the majority of the bottles I brought home with a quick cleaning. 2018-07-16 002 - Copy.JPG 2018-07-16 005 - Copy.JPG

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same concerns among others, I also got pretty claustrophobic down there, my buddy did the majority of the deep work while I pulled up the buckets and sifted the stuff... We did tie a line to us while we were down there more for the possibility of a false bottom, didn't want to fall through into a 30 foot deep well or anything like that. The walls seemed very very sturdy. I think that beehive shape of the bricks up top add to the strength too. We were very cautious but determined to dig it as well. If there were any signs of walls caving in we could have dug around the outside and made a larger hole but didn't feel we needed to.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Two of your finds I like are the poison bottle. never found one of those, and the little stone vase.

Yes, the beehive formation adds strength to the top portion and also requires a smaller cover with less span.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I especially liked that small stoneware piece too. The poison has a crack in it but you can hardly notice it due to the dark brown color of the glass.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the follow up story wow thats just a great adventure hats off to you

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Hoping to find another older privy on the property in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread