Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still new to bottle digging. Was hoping to get a little help on these two.

First 2 pics are from yesterday. Might be a SB&G for Streator Bottling and Glass Co, Illinois.
Online I found SB&G was in business during 1881-1905. Anyone ever see one of these? Thanks

IMG_1454.JPG IMG_1455.JPG

Dug this one a couple weeks ago. It has an applied lip. I believe it is an 1880's whiskey bottle, maybe earlier?.
IMG_1404.JPG IMG_1406.JPG IMG_1466.JPG

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both very nice finds. They have some age to them. I believe you're real close on the date.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Streator example at the shop. I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow. 1880 is about right on the whiskey which appears to be turn molded. Nice finds!

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
If shape means anything I have one similar to the top one. Says JOHN WYETH & BRO
PHILADELPHIA
LIQ. EXT. MALT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottles! I think you're hot on the trail with the first one. It is a post-bottom mould, but it looks like it has a tooled finish. I think that one would fall somewhere between 1888 and 1898 if I had to choose a ten year range. Despite the applied finish, I think the same goes for the second one, especially if it is a turn mould.

Edit: I wish that first one had an applied lip! There's something about post-bottom + applied lip that is pleasing, just a nice construction. Yours has a lot of glass bleeding out of the base seams, so cool. Is that foil on the neck? Or did this bottle get melted a bit? Looks like the one shoulder is slacking, haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice bottles! I think you're hot on the trail with the first one. It is a post-bottom mould, but it looks like it has a tooled finish. I think that one would fall somewhere between 1888 and 1898 if I had to choose a ten year range. Despite the applied finish, I think the same goes for the second one, especially if it is a turn mould.

Edit: I wish that first one had an applied lip! There's something about post-bottom + applied lip that is pleasing, just a nice construction. Yours has a lot of glass bleeding out of the base seams, so cool. Is that foil on the neck? Or did this bottle get melted a bit? Looks like the one shoulder is slacking, haha
Thanks for the info. If you are referring the Streator bottle, there is no foil on it, that is just the light reflecting off of the glass. There is a push on the shoulder.
I don't think this bottle was in a fire, I think the push might have happened during the manufacturing of the glass.
The whiskey bottle has some debris around the lip, I was told this might be some remains from a lead seal.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both very nice finds. They have some age to them. I believe you're real close on the date.
Thanks Kray
I have a Streator example at the shop. I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow. 1880 is about right on the whiskey which appears to be turn molded. Nice finds!
Thanks Sand. Would love to see a picture.
If shape means anything I have one similar to the top one. Says JOHN WYETH & BRO
PHILADELPHIA
LIQ. EXT. MALT
I saw a picture on a website that showed a similar shape as a beer, or it might have been a malt.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, everybody but I told y'all a lie. Mine is a D.S.G.Co. (DeSteiger Glass Co. of LaSalle, Illinois). Stoopid ol' man!

Here's the picture anyhow...

DSGCo.jpg DSGCo1.jpg

Last edited:

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. If you are referring the Streator bottle, there is no foil on it, that is just the light reflecting off of the glass. There is a push on the shoulder.
I don't think this bottle was in a fire, I think the push might have happened during the manufacturing of the glass.
The whiskey bottle has some debris around the lip, I was told this might be some remains from a lead seal.

Maybe get a few pics of it cleaned up? It'd be nice to get another look at the neck and that sunken shoulder!

'Love the shape and colour on that one!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, brother. Found it in the eaves of an old warehouse amidst the pigeon dookie.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice I would dig for those through pigeon poop

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread