glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, there were alot of stuff there. Nice found!!
FIRST OF ALL WELCOME TO TNET If you want to learn about treasure hunting signing up here is one of the best moves you can make .It is a never ending learning process ,but this place has some great helpful people to shorten the learning curve
The time span for, when I first found out about this dump and when I actually found it a second time spans two decades . The former owner learned it was there when I told him about it . And the current owner only learned about it when I contacted the former owner to
ask if he would put in a good word for me to get permission to dig .I knew from the first time I saw the surface that it covered a real big area. In the 20 years I was not able to dig whenever I would talk about it I got some skeptic looks and comments Since I have been digging I have found about as many old bottles from this one site as I had collected up to that point in all the other location I every dug . I hope at some point in time to put together some pictures of what I have uncovered here It has been slow digging and lately it has been so hot I don't get far before I need to stop But it has been fun so far

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have a picture .if you do please post it Thanks
IMG_2897.jpg
Mine's newer I think... I don't know about yours but I think mine is 30s-ish. It has concentric triangles on the bottom. Looking at them side by side they aren't all that similar but still... I think this is a sample bottle for some sort of Vicks product. I found an original box or something of samples online but I can't find the photo now, if I remember correctly it might have been a cough serum or something like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noah That one looks round to me Mine is flat sided and maybe a bit taller And on one side it has VICKS and the other side it is embossed with DROPS . So not quite the same Still a very neat item and now we both know we have at least one to find to have a set . Thanks for adding to the info .

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday was some what cooler in to morning Still humid but lower temps due to cloudiness in advance of the coming tropical storm View attachment IMG_0822.jpg I was able to dig a little earlier which also made it a bit cooler . This site continues to show it still things left worth finding The bell while broken some what is still a nice find for me Also the Warranted flask is in very nice condition .I think that makes 3 or 4 of that size from this dig .I expect there may be more to follow

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that millstone. A guy I went to school with collects those.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that millstone. A guy I went to school with collects those.
Yes I love it also A relative of mind owned the property that it came from The farm had been a mill in the late 1890's My relative owned it for about 10 years and decided to sell it The millstone had been resigned to be a part of the sidewalk It was almost completely covered over with grass and dirt In the mean time I had a small area at my house that I wanted to do some additional landscaping .I told my relative since he was planning to sell the place the time had come for the grind stone to moved to my house .So I consider it as I am preserving something that was soon lost because it was slowly sinking below ground level And my guess was any new owner would not be aware of it So it was laying in my yard for the last 4 years as I slowly gather stones from the surrounding farmers I know to build a small stone wall So a project at least 4 years in the making got a little closer to being done this year It was much more work than I had expected .But now at least while I am still around it will not be lost to obscurity !! Thanks

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The word for today was hot hot hot !!! I tried to get an earlier start but it was already hot before any of my dirt moving tools touched dirt . I think I need an dirt moving tool that has it 's attachments fastened inside of and air conditioned cab People always wish for the good old days But any part of the good old days that means we do not have air conditioning in them is a misuse of the language Even with my make my own shade it was just to hot to be out in it .I found a few items Nothing major but a couple that raised a question about them I found a mostly intact flask that was part of each side . This is the first I ever found anything like it and of course IT would have been a major find for me A pipe stem ,a small round piece of glass that I think has the number 57 embossed on it a light blue cloored piece that I guess was for some decorative item and a small ink well .Again I think that is what it is . I only ever found a couple ink wells and this one in nice at least for me View attachment IMG_0837.jpg View attachment IMG_0839.jpg

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I went out to my bottle dump site with the idea that it was not supposed to be as hot as it had been most days lately.Well that was not the case I did some digging .I must have been close to a good area but did not find any intact glass items .But uncovered lots of broken pieces to indicate that some should be nearby I did find what looks like a small replica of a house And just for some excitement I got stung twice by the same bumblebee He got me first on the wrist and than crawled up my long sleeve shirt and got me again on the forearm .Since we where now playing for keeps i made sure he did not exit my sleeve on the wing!! IMG_0881.JPG IMG_0889.JPG

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that is what I was thinking also but 95 degree heat bumblebee stings and dehydration in general takes it's toll on young men and I ani't one of those I will be back maybe tomorrow or early next week .

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old house replica is way cool!

According to several people from the WHAT IS IT forum that is a bank.And one identified it as some thing that was made during the 1920"s .This one cleaned up pretty nice It can use some more work The great thing about the dump site is it has allowed me to add many new items to my collection I never even knew existed before .And the great thing about tnet is there are so many people that are helpful with things I knew nothing about

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding time to get out digging has been a battle with the heat . Today was warm but not so humid . Right off I found the top of a flask .And as I tried to get it free I started uncovering a beer bottle .They both turned out winners . Two great additions to my collection . IMG_0904.JPG Continuing to dig I found a number of small bottles and another Schmidt's crown top . IMG_0906.JPG .It was a good day and had even some of the broken ones been whole it would have been a great day .That green partial really gets my attention IMG_0909.JPG I took NJKLAGT advice and it paid off nicelt today . I think I will be working that area on a regular basis for the next few weeks .

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that broken Wishart's is a great motivator! No telling what you may pull out next.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that broken Wishart's is a great motivator! No telling what you may pull out next.

That is the amazing thing about this site .I started digging in Oct of 2019 .And besides the over all amount of items I have found the variety of different glass things has not not slowed down Besides the 4 shards on the last shot there where at least as many other pieces to indicate there is more left to locate .I doubt there is as much left as I have already found but as much as 35 to 40 percent may still be there . The bottle from SHELLDORFERS has some great embossing on . . And based on the address on the front I would guess it is not all tat common and yet there is one that is in fairly good shape

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an old saying that applies to the most recent finds from my bottle digging site It goes;Never look a gift horse in the mouth . Someone that I have known for quite a long time had expressed interest in my bottle digging hobby He offered to help me out what so he could see what and how I go about it So on a mild day this week we went out to dig. Intact glass /bottles was a rare item this week I found two small bottles .They where an item that at one time i had very many of .However I have given most of them away Near the time we finished digging i did find a couple of soda bottles the where about 1/2 to 3/4 intact . Whilec I dug for bottles he worked on clearing a about a 3 x 5 foot area down to about 3 about deep . From probing the area I thing there is at least 2 to 3 more feet of stuff to remove In the course of his clearing and moving dirt we located some metal items that where of some interest .A piecec of what may have been another small kids bank A part of a door hinge another spike type door hinge a horse bit and a horse shoe and a childs fork So the gift was the help removing a good amount of dirt and the gift was a few horse items I am hoping that removal of dirt will open up an other layer of some older bottles that up to this point I have found pieces of of but just one whole bottle I have found enough evidence that make sme think there is still more to be found .And I hope the effort by my friend may lead to some more gifts yet to come IMG_0926.JPG t

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last two times out yielded 2 small bottles and some assorted relics Yesterday was about the same One brown Paines Celery Compound I have found another one of them earlier that is in better condition The heat has gone south but at the same time my health issues have more than make up for the improved weather It seemed that I was uncovering some good shards of old glass but I thought that before only to turn out to be not much at all The next time back will tell if I am ready to hit the seemingly good pocket .I spent time clearing out around the spot in hopes that it is a nice pocket of oldies and goodies Several days of rain are predicted which might be a delay in digging but easier digging when it is time to go at it again IMG_0939.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On OCT 18 2019 I started digging at the site I having been posting about for the last year I knew going in that it covered a rather large area but I had no way to know how deep it was at that time More than once I moved a pile of dirt I had put one place only to need to move it again in order to get to what had been ground level when I started The heat of this past summer limited me to mostly short digs And it is about a 35 to 45 minute drive from my house so I sometimes spend as much time driving as digging. And with the heat it made my health problems more bothersome to the extent that at times I just did not go Other times the heat would affect me that I would need to avoid the heat for more days before returning I have been blessed with the number of items I located the variety and the age of at least one I do not know how much more is left but I would not be surprised if it is about the same as I have so far recovered And I have found a large amount of broken items that indicate there is more real old items in that dump at some time This is not a wrap up and I am done with it.But fall is coming and that will be followed by frozen ground Hunting season is also part of fall There are two young kids in my extended family that are interested in hunting and I hope to help them in any way I can Add in my health issue which is of a progressive nature and an unexpected situation looming it could mean that my daily lifestyle may be changing Thanks to all that looked at my posts during that year and to those that add their knowledge to many finds This has been the dig of my life time I have added pictures of most of my finds And there have been several items I gave to friends Thanks again Mike View attachment 1871365 View attachment 1871366 View attachment 1871367 View attachment 1871368 IMG_0964.JPG IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0969.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread