glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noah I do not know how old the green piece may be BUT I have been digging this site for about 9 months now I am just now getting down to a spot that is more than 4 feet deep I found the Banjo Player flask and the green top in very close proximity depth wise and distance apart . It was the first time I ever found anything that color in 40 plus years of digging It might be just by chance that they where close to each other . I am of the mindset that finding them close together is a sign there are more of bottles and glass of that age group yet to be found Time will tell

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Noah I do not know how old the green piece may be BUT I have been digging this site for about 9 months now I am just now getting down to a spot that is more than 4 feet deep I found the Banjo Player flask and the green top in very close proximity depth wise and distance apart . It was the first time I ever found anything that color in 40 plus years of digging It might be just by chance that they where close to each other . I am of the mindset that finding them close together is a sign there are more of bottles and glass of that age group yet to be found Time will tell

Well good luck! You've quite a few awesome finds! Makes me want to get out and dig.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Noah Looking at your 2020 totals it appears you have been having some success also .Because I like history I have had an interest in digging for quite a while now .Mostly I would locate a few items and move on.About 5 years ago I found a spot that had a good number of bottles from the late 1890 thru about 1930 .At the time they where the oldest I had ever found .In researching one of them I found t.net . I spent a few years just checking in once in a while .i saw how well many of the t.net treasure hunters did .And it was clear to see how much fun they where having So finding this forum was maybe my best find one could say This spring I put together an outdoor display of just a few items I have located in the past few years I call it my junk junk bench I made the bench from a few dead IMG_0758.jpg cedar trees and them used it as a back drop for items that are mostly just rusted items I have found while in the woods

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again Noah Looking at your 2020 totals it appears you have been having some success also .Because I like history I have had an interest in digging for quite a while now .Mostly I would locate a few items and move on.About 5 years ago I found a spot that had a good number of bottles from the late 1890 thru about 1930 .At the time they where the oldest I had ever found .In researching one of them I found t.net . I spent a few years just checking in once in a while .i saw how well many of the t.net treasure hunters did .And it was clear to see how much fun they where having So finding this forum was maybe my best find one could say This spring I put together an outdoor display of just a few items I have located in the past few years I call it my junk junk bench I made the bench from a few dead View attachment 1847470 cedar trees and them used it as a back drop for items that are mostly just rusted items I have found while in the woods

Neat bench! And thanks! My 2020 totals are pretty much just from February and March... I had a great two months but haven't been out much since bc all my favorite fields are planted.

I'm fortunate enough to live on an oldish property from the 1860s or 70s and there's been dozens of bottles picked out of the creek in years past but they were mostly newer, I'm just starting to find some of the older goodies!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks awesome glad you found it Ill be watching good luck

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks A2 .Yuo where the first one from t.net to give me any recognition when I first join tnet.I am still a greenhorn and often a hack at knowing how to do things and also don't know much about some of the things I have found . That s why I say all you guys are awesome. You all take the time to help me to learn

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Avoid the heat" was my thought for the day .I was able to go about the time I hoped to leave yesterday I arrived about 9 AM That is certainly not early but better than what i had been doing the last few weeks After about 1 & a quarter hours I was toasted . I drank 2 gatoraides and a water during that time .Plus another bottle of water on the way home IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0764.JPG While taking my breaks I decided to sit on the shade side of my truck on the ground The number one thing I took home was ticks I removed 30 plus on the ride home and after getting home and doing a thorough inspection . Did I RECENTLY SAY BOTTLE DIGGERS DO IT FOR THE FUN OF IT?? I found a few small items yesterday The small brown one nice .And to add to that I had just in the last several weeks found a similar in a larger size .Also while not all that old the small clear pitcher is kinda nice also . I hope I can get back to dig again tomorrow and over the weekend also Thanks for looking

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks A2 .Yuo where the first one from t.net to give me any recognition when I first join tnet.I am still a greenhorn and often a hack at knowing how to do things and also don't know much about some of the things I have found . That s why I say all you guys are awesome. You all take the time to help me to learn

A2 always has something nice to say, a lead that more folks in this world need to follow.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cloudy day yesterday brought temps down to the high 70's With that in mind I arrived at my bottle digging site late morning Even with the lower temps I had brought with me more water and other drinks than I had the last time out.I continue to be in the moving dirt more than looking for bottles mode. But once in a while I slow down and hunt more careful So while I did not locate a single bottle I found a few other items of interest A pipe that is in real nice condition, a piece of brass horse harness hardware what I guess was a handle to a spoon with some markings on .I will check that out at a later time Plus a few other odds and ends These items help fill in around the edges how the people using this dump live their daily existence. View attachment IMG_0776.jpg

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another hot day made me dig slow with lots of breaks and wiped out in less than an hour I am calling this one the long and the short of it The one was about 12 inches long the other about 3 inches short I was uncovering lots of interesting broken glass this afternoon .Perhaps the nest trip will be more productive IMG_0780.JPG IMG_0780.JPG

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hot today but it might get worse before it gets better so I going out to dig for a little while I plan to put up a tarp to create a bit of shade Hope it helps It seemed like I was getting into some good area as I was finishing up the last time I was there and that has been eating me up 90 DEGREES RIGHT NOW

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let that bear slip up on you!

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The general rule of thumb is you only need be faster than one other person I was on the track team many years ago Not that it would really help me Plus when you get old like me you understand that need to resort to guile and trickery from the very start No bear today

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During my last two digs I found a few small bottles But not anything out of the ordinary for what this site has given up so far . However I did find some things I never saw before . On the attached picture is a fragment of a piece of what I assume is Cobalt Blue glass It is the first time I have ever seen that color while digging .I actually have another piece that was nearby .And than on the Aqua piece it is very thick glass and a different shape from anything I ever located while digging. What I have of it looks older than normal for this site and the brown item I GUESS is a glass button .Does anyone have any information . I have a long way to go till I have uncovered this site and I am still trying to figure out just how old the very bottom maybe Thanks for looking IMG_0794.JPG

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The aqua piece is the top of a blown cone ink, probably 1885-1900. The cobalt blue piece is the top of a machine-made ink from around 1905-1920. The black button is either made of glass or jet, I've found one or two of those buttons before, I think it was popular to wear them while in mourning.

All good signs!

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info I thought that the aqua piece looked like it was the oldest of the three And the button is kinda cool no matter how old it is . It amazes me that someone can spend hours looking at broken glass /pottery /rusted metal and dirt and pick out stuff that just looks a little different I also found 3 porcelain stoppers One is not like any of the 20 some have collected over the years Thanks again View attachment IMG_0797.jpg

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks ago I had a post stating I may have found my oldest bottle ever .Well today I think I found my smallest bottle ever. In the picture is the bottle I found today on the left side is IMG_0810.JPG a .22 caliber long rifle for comparison sake and on the other side is what had been the smallest bottle I had ever found until today On the one side is embossed Vicks and on the other is Drops

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few weeks ago I had a post stating I may have found my oldest bottle ever .Well today I think I found my smallest bottle ever. In the picture is the bottle I found today on the left side is View attachment 1851500 a .22 caliber long rifle for comparison sake and on the other side is what had been the smallest bottle I had ever found until today On the one side is embossed Vicks and on the other is Drops

Nice one! Maybe a sample bottle of Vicks Vaporub? I found one sort of similar a few months ago.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread