thinking about upgrading detectors.....any comments?

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
This is probably not the right place so place it where ever necessary Marc and thank you. Anyway I was just thinking about upgrading detectors to a minelab explorer II and wondered if anybody is using one and their comments on the product. I have a whites IDX pro and an Ace250 of which I like them both but I think I would like to try the minelab and maybe trade the whites in on it. Any thoughts from you all would be appreicated. Thanks all..........gregd573

R

rvbvetter

Is that a can opener I hear? Somebody must be opening a can of worms.
I'm not going to say; Yes the EXP II is the only one to have.
Cause it may not be the right machine for every one. I own one and think it's a great detector. But I also have a Whites DFX and think it's great too.
As far as performance, you can't go wrong with the EXP II. It won't leave you wishing you had bought one that had more depth. Because in my opinion ( and I have to say this fast, so I have time to run before the tomatos start flying in) it is the deepest detector available, at the present time. Tomorrow, who knows. Whether it will suit your style or personality. Will be for You to feel out.
Have you checked out the X TERRA 70 from Mine Lab? It's early so I haven't heard any field reports on it yet. But it does sound interesting. Good luck on your decision. HH

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Politics, religion and which metal detector is best. I use an IDX pro as well. Between my personal experience with it and what I hear about the ACE 250 you have two mighty fine detectors there. I am not sure of the reasons you are looking to upgrade, as far as all around performance you have 2 good ones. If you are looking to get into gold prospecting or just wanting more bells and whistles are the only reasons I could see to "upgrade" As in all things, your level of experience with your particular machine makes more difference than the machine when you are talking of the two you mentioned and an "upgraded" model. Hope that helps -Underwood

It's always about White's or Minelab. Spend more on advertising, and look what happens.
Put the shinest, biggest lure on the line and the fish go crazy.
Now the tomatoes will start flying!!!!!

Clifford Powell

Nov 13, 2005
New Mexico
I bought an Ace 250 back in October and used it for about 6 weeks - was very satisfied with it but I wanted to try something a little more upscale. I then sold it and bought an EXPII with the X-1 probe and have put about 160 hours on it. There are big differences between the two machines. There is a much steeper learning curve to get the best results from the EXP but being a tech type of guy I enjoyed that part very much. It's balance is not too good and it took me awhile to get used to that. One of the things I like about the machine is not mentioned too often - if a dime and junk is in the same hole most times it will tell you there is a dime there. I have found many coins that had junk above/over/next to them. For me this is one of it's greatest assets as it allows me to get objects that others could not hear. I also like the dual digital readout. Some prefer the target screen. Some hunt with discrimination, some in Iron mask only. Some use ferrous tones - others conductive. The thing is no matter how you like to hunt this machine can be set up to YOUR specs. This is part of the learning curve - to find what works best for you. The noise cancel feature is great when hunting sites that have electric noise. Tone ID is very good. My suggestion is to download the manual from the Minelab site and spend a little time with it. Please note that I am not loyal to any MD manufacturer - I just wanted results for money spent. I feel the EXP has met that requirement and more. Also keep in mind that most say that it takes 100 hours of use to get 75% of the potential out of this machine -I found this to be true for me. And it's been fun too. These are just my opinions and your milage may vary - -

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Southcacalaky said:
Don't have a minelab so I really can't say except I hear they are good, HH Art...
Me too!

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Good call on downloading the manual, I never thought of that for some reason. A little light reading in the near future. I am also thinking of an upgrade.

Dudes

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
It don't matter what detector you got. If you don't got spots to go to it don't matter. Spend more time researching and reading and your ace 250 could handle the job

HH Jer

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the Tesoro brand products now mainly because I've been saying for years "I've got to try Tesoro." So, now I'm trying them.

As for the Minelab upgrade, the folks in the posts above did a good job I think. Minelab is a different kind of animal and not everyone is able to figure them out. I used the Excalibur 1000 for a year (2005) and put a good 500 hours on it. I had the worst year as far as finds I've ever had in 38 years of THing. I couldn't figure the thing out even after lots of great people tried to help me. I couldn't pinpoint and I thought I was digging Memorials at 9-12 inches deep...LOL!

I finally sold the Excalibur and bought a Tesoro DeLeon which I love. Now I'm digging Memorials at 1-3 inches deep. LOL I guess the DeLeon is not nearly as DEEP as the minelab but I can usually tell good targets from the junk. In only 30 hours of THing time I've already found 3 times more than I did with the Minelab all last year and I'm re-hunting the exact same spots.

Minelab detectors are great machines but to master Minelabs one needs to practice far more concentration and study than most THers are willing to put into their detectors. I'd say the people who would do best with Minelabs are those who would also make great computer programmers and the like.

I'm a "meat & potatoes" kind of guy. I tend toward instant gratification. Electronic devices are only good for me when they find treasure and they had better find it without me having to put too much study into them. I love the hunt and especially the find. I enjoy the great outdoors and all of that. But I don't enjoy concentrating on pops, crackles, squeals, and all the other language of metal detectors.

There's no doubt that Minelabs are great machines for SOME people. The question really is: Are you one of those people?

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
I started with a Tesoro golden uMax. I liked the machine but it didn't have much depth. I bought a EXP II that I have been using for 2 1/2 years now.I really like the Exp. Like others have said It takes a long time to learn the machine well. But It is a very good machine for the serious THer. With practice you can ID targets by tone. I hunt in the graph screen. and It is pretty accurate. Like I said for everyday use (and I mean I hunt every day) You cant go wrong. It is heavy and takes getting use to. but Seeker and I consistently find large cent size targets up to 12 inches and buttons at 10.

I would say if you don't hunt everyday or at least for a full day once a week then you would be better off sticking with what you got. I still use the golden for competition hunts.

Tim

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
JerDfx said:
It don't matter what detector you got. If you don't got spots to go to it don't matter. Spend more time researching and reading and your ace 250 could handle the job

HH Jer
YEA, What Jer Said, I Use A DFX, But Have Also Used Fisher, If The Good Stuff Isn't There It Doesn't Matter If You Are Useing A Bulldozer. Best Of Luck. trk5capt...

dandan

Feb 24, 2006
Love my IDX PRO, but a newbie with an MXT is kickin' my arse in the gold dept. even in the spots I'm hunting with him! If I could I'd get one!

OP
OP
gregd573

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Thank you everybody for all of your replies....and I really did not mean to open a can of worms. I also hope that those who got tomatoes tossed at them was able to duck and weave out of the line of fire.....lol. You all have giving me a lot to think about and I will toss all of your ideas through what is left of my brain. As of right now, I have a few friends who tell me "if my last two remaining brain cells ever quit shakeing hands, I will be in trouble."......lol. I will downlode the explorere II manuel and go over it before I take any plunges. I do like the detectors I have and get out all I can.....anyway, thank you again, all your replies will be put to good use.............gregd573

R

rvbvetter

I totaly agree with; that if it's not there, it doesn't matter what machine you have. And like wise that research will increase your odds of finding the good stuff. And that a good detectorist with an inferior machine has a good oppurtunity of finding better or deeper coins than a mediocre detectorist with a top of the line machine, well to a point anyway.
What I mean is, a Volkswagon will get you from the west coast to the east coast just as well as a Ferrari. Excluding time.
But I doubt a pro race driver in a VW could beat a 9 to 5 commuter in a Ferrari at LeMans.
In other words; if you have no new site at the moment. So you go to the 100 yr old heavily hunted park. Which detector do you think would give you the best chance at finding the deeper coins that have been passed over buy others?
EXP II (Ferrari) or Lower level machine (VW) ? V10 or 4 cylinder? HH

UH OH !! INCOMING!!!!!

Obviously people here are trying to sell you on a ExII. Now that this is happening, I'm going to tell you about my beat-up 10 year old Fisher 1266x. Yesterday, I dug up a few flat buttons in a plowed field at 10 to 12 inches deep.
These signals were strong. In an old amusement park were there is 10 inches of clay fill covering the original soil, and were a million detectorists have gone, I still to this day, dig up a handful of old coins that are at the depth of 14 to 20 inches deep. I'm not B.S'n either. At a major beach on our biggest lake, I don't rush there in the summer.
In fact I go there in the fall when the water is low and dig all the deep signals nobody could pick up and find loonies at 2 feet down as well as other coins and jewelry. Believe me everyone and there dog goes there to hunt.
At a trashy park, I know the type of pitch that is telling me there is a coin mixed with junk.
Please do not compare cars anymore as it has been done a ton of times before on this forum.
Next time, compare drivers.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an IDX Pro. I like it a lot but then I got a Quattro. It impressed me the first day out, but I still am thinking about another. Different detectors are right for different people, period! You cannot know which is the right one for you unless you try them all. All said one car is not right for all drivers. One detector is nall the one for all detectorist. We choose them buy, trying, reading , listening, and comparing. To borrow from martial arts "When you find that right detecor

Jerxs

Apr 10, 2004
NEPA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just thinking about upgrading detectors to a minelab explorer II and wondered if anybody is using one and their comments on the product.

A simple question! ???

How does a simple question turn into a detector war?

I use a Minelab explorer and yes it is a very good machine. Will one be right for you? Dont know.

Your best bet is to find a good dealer with some demo units and swing a few around.

Jer

DetectorX.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread