underwater detector

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New Tesoro Sand Shark Pusle Induction detector is $580.00 hard to find a used one

New Minelab Excalibur Multi-frequency detector about $1,300.00

Whites Dual Field PI Detector about $800.00

Then you have the rest..

Good luck!

OP
OP
txstreasureship

txstreasureship

Sep 11, 2012
Texas Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett XL 500 PI
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was hoping to find one a little older and a little cheaper than those. I was looking at a Garrett xl500 pi

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hoping to find one a little older and a little cheaper than those. I was looking at a Garrett xl500 pi

Best of luck to you! I just wouldn't want to spend $200.00 on a old saltwater machine. Check it carefully.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garretts usually sell used for around $500, used Excaliburs run $600-1000. Used sand Sharks are around $350-400.

OP
OP
txstreasureship

txstreasureship

Sep 11, 2012
Texas Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett XL 500 PI
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks that sounds good. What's everybody's thoughts on these three machines for saltwater use mainly and some out of water usage

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to keep in mind, you will lose little to no money on a good top of the line used water detector if you decide to sell it ...

What was price of good used Excalibur 2 years ago? $600-$800, what is price now...The same....

You can spend $750 on excal now and sell it 2 years from now for $700-$750...

Look at the big picture, not just the cost now, what other hobby will let you sell your tools 2 years later for little to no $ loss?

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Not only no loss but at a gain if you use it right and have some luck with your finds.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
txstreasureship

txstreasureship

Sep 11, 2012
Texas Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett XL 500 PI
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That and with the laws in Texas there isn't much money to be made unless I find nuggets.

OP
OP
txstreasureship

txstreasureship

Sep 11, 2012
Texas Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett XL 500 PI
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well for an update i went with the Garrett xl500 pi. Got a good price on one that looks brand new with the original packaging and paperwork.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well for an update i went with the Garrett xl500 pi. Got a good price on one that looks brand new with the original packaging and paperwork.

The XL500 PI is a good detector and some prefer it to the Sea Hunter.
Make sure the seals are good before submerging If the battery is original it may be a bit cactus but you might be lucky.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saltwater is a very harsh environment for delicate electronics. Buying a used UW machine can be very dicey. If you don't know the person well, you could be inheriting someone elses problem. Seals need surgical level of cleaning and routine replacement. Many people ignore these and get water inside, dry it out and sell it. the result is you have a machine that may work perfectly or may die in 3 months.

I love saving money on good quality used gear, but you have be very vigilant in this area.

OP
OP
txstreasureship

txstreasureship

Sep 11, 2012
Texas Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett XL 500 PI
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well I'll know in a few days when I go home. Fingers crossed I don't have to rebuild the circuit board.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The XL 500 is a Sea Hunter model. Not a good gold jewelry finder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread