best metal detector?

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of those three will do just fine as an introduction into the hobby. I would research the different manufactures. I would research the difference between DD and concentric coil. Also figure out if you have higher mineral content in your local soil, you may decide on one, but the wrong coil could ruin it for you.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Jeff, welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. I cannot comment on the detectors you have listed as I have never used them. Have you considered/researched the Tesoro Compadre. It is a great detector for beginners. That is what I started with and still use. Brand new, out of the box it sells for about $190 USD. Just something to consider.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff, welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. I cannot comment on the detectors you have listed as I have never used them. Have you considered/researched the Tesoro Compadre. It is a great detector for beginners. That is what I started with and still use. Brand new, out of the box it sells for about $190 USD. Just something to consider.

X 2 - Compadre all the way! :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thank you ron yes where i live is mostly clay the city i live in used to be a dump yard around 50 years ago til houses here built and in the 1800's native americans lived here then farmers who knows what i will find. so the dd coil would be best? i was looking at some tesoro models and they seem to be what i am looking for i was just thinking garrett becuase alot of people here seem to have garretts or fishers i plan on upgradeing in the future just want a novice model

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to have a Ace 250, I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy. The Compadre is better, and about $80 cheaper.

thank you ron yes where i live is mostly clay the city i live in used to be a dump yard around 50 years ago til houses here built and in the 1800's native americans lived here then farmers who knows what i will find. so the dd coil would be best? i was looking at some tesoro models and they seem to be what i am looking for i was just thinking garrett becuase alot of people here seem to have garretts or fishers i plan on upgradeing in the future just want a novice model

OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a Ace 250, I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy. The Compadre is better, and about $80 cheaper.

the problem is that the compadre does not have a headphone jack. does it i could not see one in the photos?

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett machines have the shortest warranty of the machines you're considering.
If I were you, Id be looking at the Compadre and the F2. Then it all boils down to what you prefer.
Do you want one tone or four?
Do you want target ID?
Do you want notch discrimination?
Do you want adjustable sensitivity?
Answer those questions and you'll have made your decision easier.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't beat the Tesoro brand for beginner or pro. I would look into saving up for the Outlaw and you won't ever need to upgrade till you want to search the beaches. The Outlaw is more than you want to spend, but you won't be wasting time and money on detectors that aren't up to the task. Or losing interest in the hobby because you aren't finding anything good.
Outlaw.JPG

Attachments

• Outlaw specs.JPG
    Outlaw specs.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't beat the Tesoro brand for beginner or pro. I would look into saving up for the Outlaw and you won't ever need to upgrade till you want to search the beaches. The Outlaw is more than you want to spend, but you won't be wasting time and money on detectors that aren't up to the task. Or losing interest in the hobby because you aren't finding anything good.
View attachment 684704

ya i was looking at the outlaw a few months back i think thats the one i am going to get i would rather spend a little more and not have to upgrade for a while it has a good warrenty i was just unsure if it had a headphone port that was awnsered by other members i think i have settled on the tesoro outlaw seems to be better quality and good support behind it

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I used the ACE 250 for over a year and I WOULD recommend it to anyone getting started in detecting...I had a lot of sucess with it...By far the best machine for the price for the beginner

Turn it on and GO!

Jeff...dont' take one persons opinion....take a look on youtube and watch videos on the machines you have an interest in....The point is..you will dig junk...and lots of it....there is no detector on this earth that knows whats in the ground before you dig....The main thing you will learn while detecting is learning your machines tones and repeatable signals...the ace 250 is an excellent coin shooter...once you learn how to use it...and it will take hours and hours and more hours of digging to learn whatever machine you get.

Good Luck...and remember to watch youtube.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread