Whats my next MD?

adalabama

Jun 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently have a Tesoro Compadre. I feel like its not finding much. Maybe its finding everything and Im looking in the wrong place. Ive walked for miles on Virginia Beach to only find a piece barbed wire. I own acres of land and found 1 item and it was about 5" down. Anyone have good luck the TC?
Im thinking of getting a Fisher f44. Good switch?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about beach hunting with the Compadre but its a killer machine in parks and yards.

ChuckT

Apr 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's odd. I've certainly seen a number of posts about how good the T is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me the thrill of hunting for a new machine is almost the equal of hunting for silver or gold. It isn't just a matter of wanting the next “greatest metal detector” out there as I frequently find myself lusting after machines that aren't as capable as the machines I actually own. I suppose its a fault of mine since I'm that way about many things (computers, cameras, vehicles, knives, firearms, etc..).

I don't know a thing about the Fisher F44, but I do own a Compadre (love it). I've had wonderful luck with the Compadre, but my soil tends to be rather mild.

I'm wondering if your soil isn't a bit more difficult; making the Compadre's preset ground balance a disadvantage for your hunting conditions. If so, you might want to concentrate on finding a machine that features a ground balancing option. (I don't know if the F44 has that feature or not).

If you ask about the F44 in the Fisher forum I'm sure the Fisher users can help you out. They'll know more about the machine and you might find someone, near you, who uses the F44 (and can tell you how the machine works in your area).

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had great luck with my Compadre on the salt water beaches, as well as Florida's sandy soil. I even go a bit into the water. In the salt water, I only get an inch or two, but on the dry sand and in parks, I'm getting 5"+ no problem.

adalabama - I would suggest taking a few coins, and burying them at different depths in your yard, 2", 4", 6", 8", and see what you machine hits. If it doesn't hit a dime at 2", you have a problem. You could also do an air test, but a bury test may be better.

Where do you have the dial set? On the beach and not-trashy parks, I keep it pointed between the F and O in Foil. In high trash I may dial it to just passed "PullTab".

On another forum, there is a very long thread about the Compadre, including how they're being used. You may want to read that, it helped me.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure is where you find it.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
location, location...

I currently have a Tesoro Compadre. I feel like its not finding much. Maybe its finding everything and Im looking in the wrong place...

Some days, I have the same feeling... I change my location, and BAM!
You never know... Try hunting some different locations. You aren't going to find much if nothing is there to find. Surprisingly, some of my best finds recently, were in areas I'm guessing most other detectorists have never thought to try.. but stuff was there and I got lucky. :tongue3:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Love the Compadre...I have found a ton with mine hunting public parks and paid for it many times over.
Love Fishers too, I paid $200 for an F2 and 3 years later got back 10 times its cost in clad,silver and gold.

The F44 is a new generation entry level unit with many great features...however...
Wait a bit more and instead get the new Teknetics Patriot that should come close to the same price.
It is supposed to be a clone of the $679 Fisher F70...another detector I own and have come to know well.
Way more features, settings and abilities, I can tell you this one is jaw dropping awesome.
$449 price, they might even be discounted to slightly below that $400 mark but we will see.
If this is true this will obliterate the high entry to low mid level price point range considering features vs. price.

Rumor is they will be released this month.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently have a Tesoro Compadre. I feel like its not finding much. Maybe its finding everything and Im looking in the wrong place. Ive walked for miles on Virginia Beach to only find a piece barbed wire. I own acres of land and found 1 item and it was about 5" down. Anyone have good luck the TC?
Im thinking of getting a Fisher f44. Good switch?

I'd try to put my hands on what is the issue. As mentioned, try a test garden to rule out the detector. If may be something as simple as you're going over where many other people have already been. And as mentioned, wet sand is a whole new animal.

If it isn't the detector, a brand new shiny F44 will be just as disappointing. Or F75 or CTX3030.....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gosh, maybe try turning it on? :occasion14:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With Digger on the Patriot here, some interesting new detectors with features and price range,what manufactures are looking into the future of what is available now.. and what needs to go and what price range to give those to the beginner to intermediate level detectorist is sure going to be what is on the table in 2017 and mid 2018 here to be competitive. I also like what I see as a detector for the Nokta Impact, and will Makro come out with the Makro Racer 3 then due to the Impact release what similarities would they have now or will they follow what Teknetics has done with the Patriot vs what we see from the comparisons on the Fisher F70 here then, and will there be any noticeable enough variations to make a good decision. It may come down to price and loyalty. Whatever Tesoro releases next maybe that may keep me deciding until then. :headbang:

http://md-hunter.com/nokta-impact-here-it-comes-new-2017-video/

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Obviously, you need a Tesoro Vaquero or Outlaw.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Before the effort of a coin garden, if you want to see if your machine is working just take it to a busy park that sees lots of traffic - drop the disc to allow foil and up and you'll hear some signals. If you swing it around a fire ring or BBQ grill and have no signals no matter your settings, then you might have a problem.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread