Caballo Mountain Treasure?

NMrockMom

Jan 4, 2006
Hi, I'm new to this site (I hope this is the right spot to post). We're not actually treasure enthusiasts but rather rockhounds. We live in Caballo and have a wonderful view of the Caballo Mtns right outside our window. My daughter received a telescope for Christmas and looks almost daily on the mountain for caves and "treasure". We often venture up to look for crystals and pretty rocks but we don't go very far in as we don't have the proper vehicles for it (and most generally children and dogs in tow) but all the same we're just as enchanted with the Caballos as are some folks we've been reading about today on this website. My son is working on a school paper about legends of the Caballo Mountains and we were really surprised to see that these are not just legends, but may actually be true. It surprised us to read many folks come here yearly on a quest to find the (what we thought were fabled) treasures. I am in awe, it's exciting to know there may be something up there....and this might explain the late night car lights up there we see on occasion.

BTW, for those of you who like coming here, the weather is GREAT right now! It's been in the 60's each day, nights get a little chilly but you can't beat the daytime weather and NO SNAKES! lol We find it difficult to rockhunt in the summer with the intense heat so I thought I'd let ya'll know it's been really nice lately.

Anyway, I have a few questions I was hoping somebody could help us with. First off, my sons paper. We need to find at least 3 legends with a reference having to do with the Caballos that he can write about. Does anyone know of a good website to find this sort of information? We've asked many, many people in T or C and the surrounding areas and those that we've asked either didn't know very much or said they would have somebody call us, but they haven't yet.

Secondly, where is a good place to obtain a map of the mountains (the Caballos) for my daughter (with the telescope, a cheapie-she's only 6). She loves to look at the caves and the peaks but it bothers her that she doesn't know the names of any of them (if there are any). I've called the Bureau of Reclamation and the Parks and Rec, both are totally clueless. She likes looking at the sleeping indian up there, and especially would like to know if the peaks on that side have any real names. She's a geography nut and would really appreciate a good map, particularly one that is easy to read since she's just a first grader.

Now that we've found this site we're going to dream of treasure I'm sure, lol. We have no interest in looking though, it sounds dangerous and expensive. We'll just stick to rocks. We were really surprised to read of another site, Tesoros-del-alma and of the frightening threats and even shootings regarding treasure hunters up here. Is this true? Should we worry when we go up to look for rocks, or when my son takes his quad up there for a ride? We have no idea where things are so we're not sure what to stay away from (other than the many "do not trespass" signs, and maybe being on the west side of the Caballos (in front of the lake) we don't really have anything to worry about but occasionally we take the old truck out to the road on the east side that leads up to the towers, should we be concerned?

Oh, one more thing, kind of off topic again. While looking on the net today for references to the legends, we found a website that says around this area or closer to Las Palomas (or the Palomas Gap) there is an old Pueblo ruin. Nobody at the museum (Geronimo Springs Museum in T or C) knows a thing about this, has anybody who has flown over or explored this area seen it? My husband is going to have a Life and Literature of New Mexico class this spring at WNMU and I wonder if this would be a good place to come visit for field observation. Since there was only one reference to it on the net it might be a fake but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Moderators, if this isn't the proper place to post, can y'all tell me how to move it to the right area? Thanks! Happy treasure hunting (and rock hunting if you do that too).

NMrockMom

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
You should read the book "100 Tons of Gold" by David Leon Chandler. It has several references to the Caballos. It will also make you very mad with the U.S. Government bureaucracy!

OP
OP
N

NMrockMom

Jan 4, 2006
Thanks Alec, I just ordered it off half.com, it was the only one they had too. Our whole family is not too fond of bureaucracy as it is, I'll be sure to pass the book onto Mom and Dad too as they live here as well and are fed up with bureaucratic BS. The whole thing started with big horned sheep, and escalated from there. The gov't knows my Dad and isn't too fond of him either, lol, he's kind of outspoken I suppose. lol Thanks again. ;D

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*Spit* Bureaucracy...............what a filthy word.

In 2002, the government with the help of the environmentalist of course, disignated 48,438 acres as a conservation area near Las Vegas with 17,000 acres disignated as wilderness.

Because of some big horn sheep and some petroglyph's.

Now they want to make it a no fly over area for helicopters, to preserve the wild life even further.

What a load of crap.

You can bet the Caballos will be next or on a short list. And the only way to enjoy them after that will be with your daughters telescope.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Who in the World would be DUMB! Enough to even thinking of trusting a Govt. that:
Shoots children in the back, :'(
>:( Shoots and kills, unarmed mothers. holding babies
Crushes, burns & KILLS, women and children :-\
:o Steals from it's citizens (I'm not referring to the IRS!)
Breaks International Treaties, that it FORCED Countries to sign!
Shoots it's Presidents, ???
Kills it's own employees..... :-\
I could go on,
BUT!
I think that you get the point!

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
And here I was trying to word my post carefully as to not make anyone think I was untrusting of our own government. I guess I should have known a bunch of treasure hunters would all ready know better!

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHO SAID

ANYTHING ABOUT TRUST? ???

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::)

Dang Bill you ought to tell these FACTS to the flood of illegals coming across our borders.......... :o :o maybe they would stay home..............

I mean who in their right mind would want to live in a filthy place like that?

OP
OP
N

NMrockMom

Jan 4, 2006
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them close off the Caballos completely, or take our land or at the very "least" our water rights away. In the late nineties Clinton >:( introduced the American Heritage Rivers Initiative that includes the Rio Grande (although I think not yet in New Mexico but I'm sure it's not excluded). Shortly after that this guy came onto our property and started taking measurements (like those land surveyors do), so I chased him off. About a year later another guy, with a group who was going to the neighbors properties in two white vans, came to my door and asked me all sorts of questions about our water well. I didn't answer a thing; he got all huffy and got in my face saying I could "lose my water rights" if I didn't cooperate. I told him he could ask my growling German Shepherd his questions after I let her outside to greet him. He left, but not before saying "I'll find out one way or another" (meaning about our well). Shook me up pretty good, I was 8 months pregnant at the time so not really in the best shape to have a one on one with bureaucracy. lol Never saw them again but one of them, seemingly a more human one or at least one more clever than mine, spoke to my dad the same day telling him they were just out doing work for the county who was thinking of putting in city water--which was a huge load of crap. I can't believe how stupid the gov't thinks we are.....

I remember I got on the phone with the neighbors I knew right away and warned them, some told me they had already come to their places but most wouldn't talk to them either. lol

I'm sure we're on that short list, and ya know, we talk about it sometimes and I wonder what other people will do if they come along and condemn all the properties to try and take them over for "heritage" purposes. Will they fight it? Looking at the past 50 years, most people just wander blindly into bureaucratic BS fully accepting the consequences or not really realizing what is happening to them. Like robots. It's a shame, this country was supposed to be free...what would the founding fathers think of this. Well, I bet they knew it would eventually happen. Sigh....

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Cptbil vs FEMA
Dear NMRockMom:
I remember when Uncle Sam introduced the Mnt. Sheep into the Caballo Mnts, in an attempt to put the MNTs Off Limits!
I live out in the country, down here in So. Texas.
I spend a lot of time in NM.
But! Not as much as I did when I worked with Gene Ballinger !
I MAYbe the only person ALIVE who actually challenged the US Govt ( FEMA ) to a shoot out!
I have the Newspaper clipping around somewhere...
But!
They, FEMA, came to our area and tried to force us off, because we were in the "FLOODWAY"!
AND! THAT they had to survey our property.
In a Public Meeting, before about 300 people,
I STOOD UP & told FEMA
Quote, "If you come on to my property, I will shoot and kill you!
I am a good enough shot that I'll get 3-4 of you, before you get me" unquote!
I am loaded up to this day ( w/'06 armour piercing rds) & waiting !
They haven't come back! YET!
But!
The law they are using is Unconstitutional and the Regional FEMA Director told me.
Quote" Take us to court, and! We'll tie you up for a hundred years" unquote!
Nice Public Servant,? HUH?
I KNOW! that I am on their,? ?"_hit" List!
OR! MAYBE Their HIT! List!
I am a retired US Marine ! 36 months in Vietnam!
I will ( & I HAVE!) Stood UP!

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
WaynePhillips:
Is that the site that is just south of Granite Peak, ???
that has the iron door over the shaft, ;D
that used to have a padlock on it! ::)
AND!
Is about 3/4 mile, just over the hill, :P from where "Revis" And His Gang are a diggin :P that BIG, Deep Hole? ::)

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Wayne - damm bureaucrats should take up a outdoor hobby like prospecting or fishing and then they might realise what they're doing to the public they're meant to represent.

Speaking of fishing.....I can't quiet see what type of fish your buddy is holding... I think we need to see a larger picture ::)

WaynePhillips

Oct 8, 2005
Manila & California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cptbil,

Does the location you are referring to have a galvinized pipe in the downshaft with a tripod over it, and is it near a very large 40' deep trench that the Sanders brothers excavated about ten years ago?

Wayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread