directions to possible cache

Monolyth

Jan 8, 2010
oregon coast
Detector(s) used
tiger shark/ xterra 305
I am selling maps to Ed Schieffelin's cabin where he was found dead by his friend, a man by the name of Jackson in the year of 1897. Ed discovered the big silver strike Arizona and as a repayment to the joking of his friends he named his mine Tombstone, because they told him thats all he would ever find prospecting in the Apache lands where he looked for gold. A town was built around the mine and took its name.

For those not familiar with Ed's history I am going to provide some links. In short, after selling out his rights to the mine Ed Schieffelin went prospecting again for the gold he was originally after. Money was no longer an issue for he was wealthy from the silver mine and made his way through Alaska, Washington, California and finally returned to Oregon where he bought a ranch with his wife. Ed was fascinated with the geological formations he saw at the South Umpqua river in Douglas county Oregon and built a cabin east of Canyonville.

At the young age of 49 Ed Schieffelin died found nearbouts his cabin. He had left instructions willed for his sizable assets and requested to be buried at Tombstone, which he is to this day with a sizable monument in testament of the fact. In his journal was a supposed entry that said "struck it rich again, by God". Gold ore was found near him that was assayed at $2000.00 per ton in 1897. What he found was described from account in his journal was a vein of gold containing blue quartz.

Ed Schieffelin links : tombstonetimes.com/stories/ed tombstonemining.com/news/newsitem.php?id=348 There are many more, countless, I encourage anyone curious to do a search of his name on Google and there is a good book excerpt available online for free on Google books

I myself became interested in treasure hunting/metal detecting only about 6 month ago. Parks and the like didn't interest me much and I started researching old townsites, homesteads, shipwrecks and other treasure stories. The lure of old coins is much more appealing to me than modern clad. I have found and detected numerous old locations and finally came across the Ed Schieffelin story.

I was reaching a dead end in my research until I was made known of a distant relative who had made this his life obsession. He provided me with the location of the cabin gained through painstaking research in government offices pouring through filed and microfilm until he finally came across a land title transfer to Ed Schieffelin matching the general locality of the legends and rumors about his last find. Why did he give me this information? He is interested in the location of the gold vein, the cabin was just a stepping stone on his search.

I have clues based on that conversation as to helping to find the whereabouts of the gold. He is still searching for the gold to the best of my knowledge and has not found it ...yet. For myself I was excited with the chance to detect the site for a possible cache or any excess ore. Not having the time at this junction in my life to search for the gold vein. Myself and a buddy I regularly explore with set out to the cabin spot.

What we found : construction debris, nails (the area had been cat logged at some point) but that showed us where the cabin was. Behind the cabin we found pieces of ore where we think he worked on crushing or trying to process it. Following down from the cabin site to the creek we found a trash dump site. All around the cabin area we found rifle casings matching the time period. At the nearest creek access point we found a large quantity of quartz piled in the creek and alongside it as if someone was washing off finds there. We searched the creek up and down and didnt find any of this quartz in any other location. We also found some misc. items; a hammer and a door knocker, some kind of machinery parts with large square nuts. All of this we left on location except for a few rock samples....no cache, sigh.

I do believe the cache to be there, most everyone in that time period would bury their money, the problem is, most didnt have that much to hide, Ed did. Any stake or traveling money and also any gold that he wanted to keep hidden. In our search we used a Minelab 305 and a Whites XLT. Not the best deep searching metal detectors but thats all we have available. There are many detectors that can find things MUCH deeper. We were also limited on time, with travel we could only spend part of a day there, and due to the expense and time constraints, we won't be going back.

What is pictured is the quartz that we found behind the cabin and some from the creek. It does contain gold. I am keeping these for my personal collection and are not for sale. What I am selling is the directions to the cabin we found. I will send them USPS express mail which is usually overnight to most locations. I am only selling 10 maps. Whoever buys them first and makes use of that information first will have a distinct advantage over any others. I am setting the price high, otherwise I would see the information posted all over the internet very soon and I would like to see a serious hunter go after and find what is there.

If I do not sell any maps by auction I will post publicly on most treasure hunting forums the information I know so It does not go lost in history and that someone may find it. Otherwise, yes, I would like to make some money for what I consider is valuable information to those like me who enjoy the search and the possibilities it entails and would like to walk in the footsteps of and American legend.

Paypal is only accepted form of payment for the speed and protection if affords to both buyers and sellers alike.

I will sell only to US residents.

If you would like to see some of the ore photos pm me with your email. Or you can follow this link to see a photohttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280475842871&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

This post was edited to remove reference to my sale on ebay.

If you would like any more information just pm me with questions.

Thank you

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't promote ebay auctions on this website. It's against our policies. :nono:

Bran <><

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm sure we could let this one slide since there is no active link.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
No, it is against the rules. Not being a hardcase here, but this site is not set up for commericial use, as Brain pointed out. :icon_scratch:

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
So let me get this straight

after not finding the cache, You traded your Minelab 305 and Whites XLT for your current
ace250/treasure mate pinpointer?????????????? LOL :laughing7: :dontknow:

Just saying................................................
neat story!~

OP
OP
Monolyth

Monolyth

Jan 8, 2010
oregon coast
Detector(s) used
tiger shark/ xterra 305
Cachefinder said:
So let me get this straight

after not finding the cache, You traded your Minelab 305 and Whites XLT for your current
ace250/treasure mate pinpointer?????????????? LOL :laughing7: :dontknow:

Just saying................................................
neat story!~

LOL, no... I borrowed a friends XLT, best I could get a hold of and my hunting buddy just bought a 305. I still have my ace 250 although it pains me to use it after having tried out their detectors. Don't get me wrong, the ace is a fine machine for the price range but it limited in comparison to those other models.

I switched directions recently after finding a limited interest in Ed's treasure. I am now only offering only 1 map for sale on ebay with a starting price of 79.99. After I sell this I will be done with it and move on. I seem to be enjoying a hobby where for myself with a family it is often times hard to justify the expense of hunting, travel and time away versus the financial rewards gained which has led me to the sale of this map.

I have a bid on Ebay and so am committed there for the sale and can no longer offer it for sale here. My apologies and thank you for the reviews, comments and interest. The auction will end in 7 days at the time of this posting and I will deliver the map to the winning party.

I would like to also express my regrets if I have in any way offended anyone by mentioning the sale of my map here. As I have previously stated, I am new to treasure hunting and forum use in general.

If anyone would like, at a time some time after the auction winner has had opportunity to explore the area I will post my full explorations and finds and give the location for all to share. I am not bound in any way to not disclose this information but integrity prevails and they will have the first opportunity for exploration within the boundaries that I can control.

This is a great pastime and I much enjoy the reads on this forum although I do not always actively participate, I do enjoy reading the posts/ viewing the pictures as a recreational pastime and for the knowledge they contain.

I wish you continued success in your own endeavors,

Thank you,

Monolyth

PS. As to giving too much info away to people in my own area...This is a huge wilderness area, vast. The location is very remote. No worries there:)

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I should think this deserves to be in a different forum. Oregon treasure leads comes to mind. What do you think, Jeff?

AKA (also known as): Red Blanket Mine; Coffee Creek Mine.

BTW, Ed Scheiffelin's lost mine is fairly well documented. Ruby el Hult has a section regarding it in Treasure Hunting Northwest, pp 28-41. Much of her original research material is available at the Oregon Historical Society research library in downtown Portland.

There are some things that have been left. I'm not sure why.

Edward Scheiffelin was found dead outside his cabin. The coroner's inquest declared Scheiffelin had died of "natural causes, presumably heart failure, as no marks of violence appeared on his body." Others have suggested he died of mercury poisoning, as he had been working with a small campfire and may have been trying to retort mercury amalgam.

On a nearby table, either in or outside the house, was Scheiffelin's diary. The last entry stated "Struck her rich again, by God!" Gold ore in a nearby jar later assayed $2000/ton in gold. Keep in mind gold was still $20/ounce then, so the samples contained 100 oz./ton. It is believed someone who discovered the Tombstone mines probably recognized gold when he saw it, even though Tombstone was mostly silver.

Another story, unverified, claims Ed mailed a letter 2 weeks before his death in May, 1897. In the letter to his nephew he said "I have found stuff here in Oregon that will make Tombstone look like salt. THIS IS GOLD." A map said to accompany this letter included cyphers, according to Stewart Hall Holbrook. The nephew was wounded at Verdun in World War I, and later died. He gave his uncle's letter and map to a "buddy" before his death. Holbrook claimed to have seen the letter, and confirmed the handwriting as Scheiffelin's, as well as seeing the map with two locations marked 'Here.'

Hult also includes an extensive bibliography. Serious searchers should seek out those citations before proceeding. Among these is Ed Schieffelin's obituary, which ran in the Ashland (OR) Tidings, May 17, 1897. Another is a manuscript titled "Edward Schieffelin, The Discoverer of Tombstone, Arizona," six pages; "History of the Discovery of Tombstone, Arizona, as told by the Discoverer, Edward Schieffelin", fifteen pages. el Hult's bibliography states the original ms. is at the Arizona Pioneers' Historical Society Library, Tucson, Arizona.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread