Tree Stake

cloviscliff

Jul 15, 2008
South Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's m6, Fisher 1210, Garrett ACE 250, White's surf PI Pro, White's DF, Fisher F75se, Fisher 1236x2, Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Tree Stake.jpg
    Tree Stake.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,175

proberod

Greenie
Mar 18, 2006
central Ok.
Detector(s) used
Whites/Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How high up is it ? What type tree is ? How big is the tree to estimate age ?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks kind of old.....check the tree...is there others or even scars where they were? If so it maybe steps to a treestand...but if its the only one and its not a camping site...use it as a sight, (like on a gun)...does it line up with an object that is in the distance? Remember it could have been done when the brush was not there so you may have to cut some of it. You might want to look in distant trees, the spike may be a in a line that will lead you to others in other trees that will end where the target is. Hope you find a million dollars!

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spooky said:
It's a railroad spike.

We as kinder used to hammer them into trees as "steps" to our "tree forts'

This was most likely used for somebody's hunting stand or blind..
Thats what I thought also :icon_thumleft:

ENGRAVER

Jun 8, 2005
Chitown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Back when I was doing surveying we used them as temporary benchmarks. Don't know where you found it, but it could have been used for that.

Luis S.

OP
OP
cloviscliff

cloviscliff

Jul 15, 2008
South Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's m6, Fisher 1210, Garrett ACE 250, White's surf PI Pro, White's DF, Fisher F75se, Fisher 1236x2, Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probe rod said:
How high up is it ? What type tree is ? How big is the tree to estimate age ?
Glad you asked those questions. The area is on a point close to Copano Bay on the Texas coast. The tree is about 150 yards from the water. The stake is only 2 feet above the ground. The tree type is Oak. The age is a little tricky. The tree died once probably from driving the stake in. It started to grow again inside the dead part. It's about 2 feet cir. Surrounded by huge oaks very old, 250 to 350 yrs old. We have one of the oldest trees in Texas where the Indians worshiped around it, called big tree estimated 500 yrs or older. This tree is close to where Santa Anna landed some of his troops at St. Marys on there way to Refugio and Goliad and finally San Antonio.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about the area you are in, the water you are talking about, that wouldn't be the Gulf would it? There is a famous treasure that is linked to spikes in a tree close to the Gulf. You can PM me if you are close and need some details.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Spooky,there's one in a oak tree at the YMCA that I swim at and I've always wondered why,there's 3 of them about 2-3 ft.apart going up and around the tree. :hello2: :thumbsup:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
It's a railroad spike.

These are not easily pounded into a tree.

Maybe a hole was drilled into the tree first to allow the spike to be pounded in.

Putting the spike so close to the ground doesn't make sense ... or makes perfect sense. Consider that the spike may be pointing toward something or somewhere. Try sighting along the spike to any nearby landmarks: tree, rock, cave, hole ... something. You must also consider that the spike shaft may be pointing to something, or the spike point (upward).

Someone went to a lot of trouble to get that spike there. Now you have to follow the clue(s).

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a railway spike to me...rail tracks in the area?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Railroad spike (given)

Close to the water, possibly used to tie up a boat.

Are there any others in other trees? Triangulate to a cache?

Spike pointing to another marker which might lead to other markers or a cache?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I suppose a spike might also be used in ship construction/repair, and might have been carried on-board a ship.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
I suppose a spike might also be used in ship construction/repair, and might have been carried on-board a ship.

Look real close. It's a RR spike. Never seen/used a RR spike used in ship building, even as a kid trying to patch together boats that everyone else gave up on. Kinda think somebody used it to tie up with. Maybe he stumbled on the best make out spot in the county. :laughing9: ::)

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
boogeyman said:
Look real close. It's a RR spike. Never seen/used a RR spike used in ship building, even as a kid trying to patch together boats that everyone else gave up on. Kinda think somebody used it to tie up with. Maybe he stumbled on the best make out spot in the county. :laughing9: ::)
As another reply states this is 150 yards from the water, hope he had lots of rope handy.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
boogeyman said:
As another reply states this is 150 yards from the water, hope he had lots of rope handy.
Ooops my bad! Still, I'd be looking around the area. The spike might be pointing at a cache or another marker, or several triangulating on a cache. Another thought, how much has the river moved since the spike was driven in. Be interesting to see more photos of the surrounding area. If I had found it, it'd definately be worth investigating more! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread