Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Confederate gold in Greensboro, NC

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2012
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Pots of Gold..

Quote Originally Posted by TheHarleyMan2 View Post
    Hey BDD, If the state won't let you dig on the right of way, at least you could try and dig it at night, but don't know if you would be able to dig with a shovel going X amount deep.

Chances are the state will probably and most likely steal it from you once you dig it up, unless you have a lawyer to help you claim it. Or they may not give you permission at all.

I came across something yesterday and looked adn did a little research and I might be looking in an area around here, but I got more research to do. I know it has been long lost!

Keep us posted and good luck!!!

The story goes.. for them to bury 100 paces pass the right of way. so its NOT on the RR right of way which is 50FT, its on private land..

its should be between 120 to 125 ft off the RR.. but. .it according where did he start the pace, the first rail.. the center, or the bottom of rock pile makes a big difference...
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    430 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis3238 View Post
    The story goes.. for them to bury 100 paces pass the right of way. so its NOT on the RR right of way which is 50FT, its on private land..

its should be between 120 to 125 ft off the RR.. but. .it according where did he start the pace, the first rail.. the center, or the bottom of rock pile makes a big difference...
    We are talking two different sites here. You are talking about the gold filled pot story in North Carolina and TheHarleyMan2 is talking about a site in Florida called Rocky Bluff. I was in North Carolina in November with a magnetometer expert. We had some good hits and did some digging. The problem was that the soil there is highly ironized and also has a lot of magnetite. I have written permission to come back and try again. The spot that I have the most interest in has a lot of very large trees in the way. I have permission to take them out but I just have not been ready to commit to that yet. I need to have the right kind of detection equipment and make sure there is something valuable buried there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3019.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	968382 One of the spots we dug in November. One of the guys we met ran the backhoe and was a little rough with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3036.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	1,023.6 KB 
ID:	968386 He broke the rental backhoe on Sunday morning before we got a chance to dig in the area I wanted to. They went home to Alabama, we went back to Florida. I will go back again.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Feb 2019
    Burlington NC
    AT Max
    67 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have a book about the history of Burlington, Alamance County NC that has a couple of paragraphs about the gold that was found in the 1920's. It is titled "When Shoeshines Were A Nickle". The author "Dover G. Heritage" was born in 1892 and grew up in Burlington. He tells about Bob Sutphin, an indian who lived on Grace Ave. He had a mule and did odd jobs around town. There was a vacant lot near Broad St. and Hawkins St. behind the old hunt club. Bob was hired to keep up the grounds in the summer as the hunt club house was closed in the summer. He was plowing the vacant lot with the help of his black friend when they hit something that jarred the plow. They looked down and saw that it was a big wash pot with a lid on it. They saw the pot was filled with gold money. The two men hitched up the wagon and put the pot of gold in it. Bob then gave his friend all his pockets would hold of the gold and made him promise not to tell any one what they had found. Bob and his family disappeared from Alamance County and it is not known where he went. Word got out though and soon the whole town was down there digging up the whole neighborhood looking for more gold. Reportedly none was ever found. It is believed that the gold was the property of the railroad and when Sherman reached "Chapel Hill" headed towards Burlington they buried the gold behind the old railroad shops. I didn't see any sense of searching there for more gold. I believe Bob got it all. Yes there are a lot of legends but I suspect a lot of treasures were buried in Shermans path. There may even be some of them still there.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links