Fort Huachuca Cache

W

whitcomb

We are assisting a 96-year old mining engineer with his memoirs. Back in Lyndon Johnson's administration, he was paid to survey a plat on the grounds of Fort Huachuca, near Sierra Vista, Arizona.

According to the story, a "Sergeant Bob Jones" discovered a cache of gold bars on the fort during an exercise. After his discharge from the service, he got permission tp search a limited area on the Fort. He is said to have had "backers", and that accounts were in some of the local newspapers.

The only Google his we got on this subject was a brief allusion to the "Huachuca Cache" in a post on the web site.

Does anybody have any info on this suibject?

Thanks a million!

PS Nice site!

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
basic details should be available in A Guide to Treasure in Arizona by Thomas Penfield; US Treasure Map Atlas by Thomas P. Terry, New York Times index, google.com, ask jeeves and a bunch of other sites. As I recall Jones and a friend were walking on a sunday and fell into a shaft that held treasure. They snuck out some gold and sold it. then they were caught with cash and testified that they had sold gold to a man in town who denied buying it. They stayed away from the site and were transferred out. The other man was killed or came missing and Jones petitioned to be allowed to recover the gold. After all those years he could not find the correct spot in the limited time he was permitted to search. Refer to the sources I mentioned to get the exact story. Memory has a way of blending and morphing several stories into one. exanimo, ss

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
an old army bud of mine was stationed there when Sgt Jones returned to dig up the gold this was during the (60's) he told that before Jones came back that some body or body's had allready dug up the gold" it was all done very hush hush way oh any way that the way He told it to me ???

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
It wasn't on the Fort but once they found out about it that area was made base property.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
There are a number of excellent posts about this here on TN. You can either search the site using the tool above, or Google "Fort Huachuca Treasure" and "Sergeant Jones' Treasure" along with TN to find them.

Thomas Probert's excellent Lost Mines and Buried Treasures of the West (Berkeley, CA: 1977) lists 8 references to "The Treasure of Fort Huachuca." The two best are probably the classic Fantasies of Gold; Legends of Treasure and How They Grew by E.B. Sayles (Tucson: 1968) and "Jesse Rascoe's" Western Treasures Lost and Found (Toyahvale, Texas: 1961).

Probert doesn't include the news magazines that covered the story while it was unfolding. From memory, both Life and Newsweek ran articles about it. W.C. Jameson's most recent book has a chapter about it, as well, but I consider his work to be less than worthless and therefore I don't recommend it.

Happy New Year to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread