The Offer

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Back on topic, a myth is inherently untrue but left unchecked create legends. People who dislike research accept them at
face value. It's my job to unmask them, the myths that is.

K

Kentucky Kache

Back on topic, a myth is inherently untrue but left unchecked create legends. People who dislike research accept them at
face value. It's my job to unmask them, the myths that is.

I don't disagree with your first sentence, but sometimes things are called myth when they really aren't.
No, it's not your job to tell anyone that their lead is false, unless you have proof and are trying to help them. Don't do it just for the sake of counting everything false.
You must think you're smarter than the average bear. Is that it?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don,t think i,m smarter than average when hunting caches. But unlike my nature i am overly polite with now few cache hunters. Nobody needs detractors when chasing leads, though its water off a ducks back. I consider crossing trails with forum members on a lead and wonder the outcome. Its either throw in or part ways and live and let live. I,m all for pistols,but not over a cache. If i,m not good with what i have ,what good will more do?.we are in same boat,to much squawking would get an oar behind the ear in real life. be nuts as you want,but can you cheer a fellow or two pursuing a lead? Somewhere is a morning full of potential, i want to chase it but if i can,t somebody must so i cheer. Love ya leg but its as hard to disprove as to prove,both a waste of effort. Who proves without grief?. Its cache in hand. Curse or blessing?.

K

Kentucky Kache

I've done a lot of cache research, and I've never found a guarantee that a treasure existed. I have found evidence that made me believe, but you never know for sure. You hunt because of the POSSIBILITY, or at best, PROBABILITY of the treasure being there. There are plenty of treasure "leads" that I don't put any stock in, but if someone else wants to pursue those, it's none of my "bidness." I may voice my belief, but beyond that I can't tell anyone how to hunt.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done a lot of cache research, and I've never found a guarantee that a treasure existed. I have found evidence that made me believe, but you never know for sure. You hunt because of the POSSIBILITY, or at best, PROBABILITY of the treasure being there. There are plenty of treasure "leads" that I don't put any stock in, but if someone else wants to pursue those, it's none of my "bidness." I may voice my belief, but beyond that I can't tell anyone how to hunt.

Dang it kache ,you feel possibility ,probability, we can argue all day. You still got it. Are not many gimmes left ,are there?. You are due to score on principle,fine by me you will have earned it. Recoveries being made even before detectors,who can doubt more out there?.this cache still waiting.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
You have just indicted yourself, voicing your belief is the same as what I do. I can't make anyone give up a search anymore than
you can. I try to offer honest advice from experience and research. We have had more than a few example lately of claims being
made that were clearly of questionable realiability. It is your duty as a hands-on cache hunter to provide sensible advice to the
novices to teach them how to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I have faith in you KK. Do your duty.

K

Kentucky Kache

You have just indicted yourself, voicing your belief is the same as what I do. I can't make anyone give up a search anymore than
you can. I try to offer honest advice from experience and research. We have had more than a few example lately of claims being
made that were clearly of questionable realiability. It is your duty as a hands-on cache hunter to provide sensible advice to the
novices to teach them how to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I have faith in you KK. Do your duty.

I agree, as far as advice. But some of this stuff gets more like harassment at times. But the point here was, don't say things are disproved, just because it's what you want to hear.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yaa.yaaa, grain of salt,bucket of cold water on a hot idea. While limited and hard to find on purpose, caches still out there. wish i knew of more than one serious but watched, my fault though ones from last winters research dry dives it leaves romance alive. No problem letting someone know who is on wrong track if i can prove it,
If not i have to cheer em on,who else will condone such madness?.
I have pressured for facts and called b.s. but generally want success for well intentioned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
To prove or disprove a cache exists takes one thing, a view in the hole at the end. All else is speculation! Frank

hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, thanks for the info. Just ordered a 2013 Red Book coin guide and a Photograde book. You know, I got to be an optimist. Buy the way, the Red Book is retail pricing, not what you will get if you sell. The dealers go by the gray sheet.
Frank

PS: got a relative checking to see if I can get away with declaring face value since it is money. They work in the state tax dept handeling tax challenges. Said they haven't run into a cache find yet so they will check into the code to see if there is a loophole.

Attachments

• coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg
    coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
K

Kentucky Kache

Well, thanks for the info. Just ordered a 2013 Red Book coin guide and a Photograde book. You know, I got to be an optimist. Buy the way, the Red Book is retail pricing, not what you will get if you sell. The dealers go by the gray sheet.
Frank

Don't expect to get Red book prices for your coins, but if you find a bucket full of the one in your picture, you'll do alright.;D

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Frankn said:
PS: got a relative checking to see if I can get away with declaring face value since it is money....

Here is my thinking on that matter. Equate the found $20 gold coin to a found $20 paper bill. By law you should report the $20 bill as "other income" on the IRS 1040. Unless the tax court can separate the value of a paper $20 bill from that of a US $20 coin, then you are on firm ground to report the found cache at face denomination. However (and there is always a however), when you sell the coins for a profit, you owe taxes on the amount gained above the face value (which you already paid taxes on).

This is straight forward logical thinking, but may not hold water in the eyes of IRS court. After all, the mission of the IRS is to maximize tax income.

You are under no obligation to spend the found $20 paper bill, and you are under no obligation to spend (sell) the $20 coin. Unless the government attempts to force collected coin values as yearly taxable personal property assets, holding such is not a tax burden. I would not rule out the possibility of the government going the personal property taxation route in the future.

Therefore ... finding a cache of gold coins may have to be sort of ... kept quiet. Can't be taxed if it is in the ground, eh? <wink>

M

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Moonrover So your saying, sell it slowly for cash with no paperwork and don't stand out in a crowd. Looks like SOP!

Kache, more like 4 suitcases full.

Frank hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Lastleg, At least I got the picture right because I have one. Well, Double Eagle. Frank hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread