MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
then there is these, i think several have been around since 2014/15
https://www.besttrailcamerareviews.org/wireless-trail-camera/

While I don't discount that out of hand, a trail camera still places the same limitations on a man in his 80's that making regular hikes to the treasure place on him: Maintenance. No matter how it was configured, batteries go dead. Even if he had a solar cell powering a car battery it wouldn't last forever--even if you can adequately explain how an 80+ year old man, several years after he hid the treasure could transport all the equipment needed and set it up in such a way that it couldn't be found and stolen. Then there is the monthly cost of keeping a cell phone active. That's a paper trail waiting to be followed, and is also dependent on there being cell service where the camera is located.

People are creatures of habit, and people are creatures of desire. My advice is to approach this in the same way an FBI profiler would use to define an unknown subject in any major crime. Know your adversary and you will know where they are likely to hide something. Put yourself in a similar situation. If you were going to hide a million dollar treasure how would you go about determining where you would hide it? Would you simply pick a place and reverse engineer the clues for people to follow, and then sit back and wait for someone to pop up and show pictures to the world? Or would you have an innate human voyeuristic desire to observe people as they scurried from place to place looking for it, seeing them come within feet of it, only to turn in the wrong direction and miss out? Or laughing as people proffered grandiose, Rube Goldberg search plans that require vast amounts of time, energy and resources to implement? If Forrest Fenn is a representative example of human nature, he's going to want to be able to look through the peephole while the quest unfolds, deriving vicarious enjoyment from the efforts of others. If someone gives you a gift, it's polite to open it right there in front of them so they can see your surprise and share in your enjoyment. Another aspect of this is Occam's Razor, i.e. the simplest answer is generally the correct answer. People don't hide the spare key to their house down the street in the knothole of a tree. They usually hide it close to the door the key fits. When people hid their life savings or coin stash back in the day, they usually hid it where they could in some way keep an eye on it, easily access it and maintain a level of psychological control over the situation. Human nature. It's the key to answering most of the questions about why people do what they do, and I believe that includes the Fenn treasure.

wacouta

Aug 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Sherlock Holmes story Silver Blaze, The name of the trainer of the second favorite was Silas Brown at the Mapleton stables. It reminds me of the movie "it's a mad,mad,world" where the money was hid under the big W which was some palm trees. In the sky the Big W is the constellation Cassiopeia and I'm guessing the constellation Silver blaze or Pegasus, is also called the big Square. Would that be in the "four corners" area of New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona and Utah? I also think "Go in peace" is church words for go in Pax or "packs" ?

wacouta

Aug 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition, Looking at the map of New Mexico, I think the movie big W was near Santa Anita race track and New Mexico has Ruidoso Downs and the Museum of the Horse. I have camped in the Lincoln National Forest and it is a nice area. The Mescalero Rez looks like two big squares? Rio Hondo ?

wacouta

Aug 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Fenn, he rewrote the poem since he did not die at the treasure site. He says he originally had take the chest and leave my bones. So what was the rhyme on the other line?
Look quickly down (between the stones) ?
Just take the chest and leave my bones

There are 3 lines that have been changed (?) from the iambic meter with missing words. Are we supposed to supply them?

Not far but (way) too far to walk -or

Not far but far to (hard) to walk (?)

Where I can keep my secret (bare)

and with my treasures (shining) bold

I haven't read all the posts so sorry if I duplicated someone else!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone fancied the notion that "where warm waters halt" may be where YOU are halted by warm water? something like a dead end at a hot spring? It's not specific enough to confidently say it's the waters that are halted but the water halts something else? It is this most important of clues that may be taken out of context by everyone. Ive been scorned in other Fenn groups by this remark because it throws off 95% of searchers hypothesis.

Yeah. Good idea.

I tooled around on the interwebs and found this page with reference to a book that I have never read. https://yellowstone.net/history/the-prospecting-era-1863-71

Sounds promising to me, maybe too good to be true?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone fancied the notion that "where warm waters halt" may be where YOU are halted by warm water? something like a dead end at a hot spring? It's not specific enough to confidently say it's the waters that are halted but the water halts something else? It is this most important of clues that may be taken out of context by everyone. Ive been scorned in other Fenn groups by this remark because it throws off 95% of searchers hypothesis.

Yeah. Good idea.

I tooled around on the interwebs and found this page with reference to a book that I have never read. https://yellowstone.net/history/the-prospecting-era-1863-71

Sounds promising to me, maybe too good to be true?

Must locate mythical book. :dontknow:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one Shrill forum (or is it Shill?) is a bunch of OCD's with memory loss. LOL In case you didn't catch that, it's the same broken record in twenty part harmony. I never understood why people go crazy with greed over gold but it's like a bunch of drowning people who will step on anybody to keep their own head above water. Sell their mother's soul for some phony, worthless bits of info. Get more desperate and angry with every false lead.

I guess before long they will have to change the name of this to some "Curse" which it is.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No telling how many people have died so far. Dead people tell no tales and smart TH'ers have an excuse why they are on the site. My guess is it has surpassed Oak Island already.

DocWho

Aug 29, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fenn is a warrior, artist, author, and outdoorsman. Maybe it's a hoax and maybe it isn't. I have believed and doubted and have come to the conclusion that it is an art project that can mean whatever you want it to mean. Regardless of whether or not it is real you can learn a lot from his stories. The key I think is being kind to people and good things will happen in life. Sure there are things that may not be factual but there isn't a single person in the world without err in life. You can look at this as a half glass full or glass half empty.

People who know Fenn well say he is the kind of guy that would actually hide it for a stranger to find so maybe it is out there. If so he says the clues are straight forward and he hasn't intended to mislead people but he also says you must find where warm waters halt so maybe people aren't searching in the first step closely enough. The most obvious place where he began would be at the old fishing bridge campground on Yellowstone Lake where he and his family used to camp. Osborne Russell camped near there and maybe Fenn found things Osborne Russell left behind when he was attacked by natives near pelican creek. I have looked in that area but just walked it. If you look on aerial photos you can see where the fishing bridge campground used to be and the parks service has moved it. This is often done to protect historic areas so perhaps this is where Fenn started collecting artifacts and the parks service moved the campground to protect artifacts there. Today's trash is tomorrow's treasures so it could be right there in the sand by the lake. If not I am guessing it is to the north of Yellowstone National Park in Montana where you can legally search with a metal detector in most places on public land. The clues would be straight forward in that case and may lead up gold prize creek outside of Gardiner, Mt or even in the petrified national forest there. It's hard to know where it is but he said people over complicate it and the answer is simple so the clues in that case have to be Yellowstone lake, the Grand canyon of the Yellowstone, and on up to Gardiner. There is a petrified national forest there too. It could be he just picked up things left behind by Osborne Russell and he is intending people to pick up things he left behind at places mentioned in his books. It had to go somewhere. Gardiner is an old gold mining town and there are some gold mines in the area so if you can't find the treasure maybe you can find something else in the area. Montana means mountains in Spanish so it could be in Montana. It's no fun doubting, I've been there, so why not believe and have fun if you like this sort of stuff. He made a lot of money in the art business so people could also go that route and do what he did, writing books about stuff you like and selling those items with the press helping launch your business. The guy is incredibly smart and a lot can be learned from his life. I spent a lot of time trying to find Osborne Russell's caves and couldn't locate either of them, maybe he made those stories up or maybe the terrain changed, or maybe the maps are all wrong because even cartographers at the time argued about what rivers they were on so maybe I wasn't looking in the right area. I also imagined maybe Russell's caves were near the Lewis falls, on the east side of the headwaters below the falls where there is an F-like swamp water with all kinds of frogs. There could be a cave in the woods there that nobody has found yet. I searched for caves in that region since it kind of lines up with Osborne Russell's book but searched on the other side of the river where it looked like a cave was. Maybe he just bought artifacts from Indian reservations and from people who obtained them and then wrote stories to sell them and didn't actually dig up many himself. Nobody knows for sure but him. There are all kinds of undiscovered artifacts out there, used to be 100 million or so natives in the USA at one point so you can find stuff all over the place if you like that sort of stuff. I have even found ruins listed on old maps in national forest areas outside of West Yellowstone that are no longer on current maps. National monuments are created to protect artifacts and I could easily find them at national monuments in the search area but wouldn't advise it since the federal penalties are unreasonably strict from what I have read. I sure wish the laws would change to allow people to dig up artifacts on public lands because that would be a great hobby, they could preserve some places and allow hobby excavating in others. It's unfortunate that so many public areas are becoming off limits for the public for various reasons.

I learned a lot about history in the area when I searched and saw a lot of neat stuff so there is no harm in believing. Just be safe and smart and ideally legal. I was followed around a lot even though I was obeying the law which was frustrating because I really think people should be allowed to search for this without being bugged by the feds.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Agree with what you say about Fenn, Doc.. I think the treasure is definitely real and out there. Regarding the artifact digging there was a nat'l park ranger who used to post here years ago and he shared his thoughts on that subject too. The reasoning behind the law is simple - there's just not enough Rangers to police the parks to ensure people aren't chewing up the scenery. They already have enough to do with cleaning up messes that inconsiderate tourists leave behind. For every person that professional and discreet and "leaves no trace" there's a dozen others who leave empty holes and disturb nature's habitat. It's all about preservation... at least until the politicians sell out the land to energy and timber corporations. Good luck in your quest to find Fenn's gold :)

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they don't have it already: FSMD--Fenn Searcher Mental Disorder, something like the video game disorder. Both very real.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another bear attack think it was in Wyoming. The guy went alone ahead of the group and came around a corner where he encountered two bears. Didn't have time to get out his bear spray. If you recall pictures of the early trappers, they all carried their gun in their arms ready to shoot. Things are still the same out there, the bears are still higher up on the food chain.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about your nightmare! They say the flesh wounds heal, but the emotional scars take much longer if ever. I read about some guy who got attacked. He's afraid to go in the forest. Can't say i blame him.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bear fatality south of Yellowstone Park. Bow hunter hit elk but had to wait til daylight to retrieve it. All looked okay when they approached the dead elk, then two bears attacked. One guy managed to escape after being attacked. The other did not survive. Be careful this time of year the bears are trying to gain weight for Winter. They are on the prowl, eating 24 hours a day sometimes. You see an animal carcass, GTH away.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This the second multi-bear attack in recent weeks around the Yellowstone Park area. Bad enough one bear.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy who got killed was a hunting guide. They found an empty can of bear spray near the attack site.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In interview of the hunter he stated they had about 5 or so seconds of warning before the attack.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread