Buried silver near Muskegon Michigan

lawnguy

Greenie
Dec 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My grandparents lived in Fruitport Mi since the early 1900 and owned 50 acres. My grandfather was a jack of all trades and as did most people back then did anything they could to make money. He made potato vodka, sold chickens, dug worms to be sold to fisherman and other things. But he also worked for Teledyne Continential as did my father, my other grandfather and 3 uncles. On fridays (pay day) they would all go to the bar which was right across the street from were they worked, and spend a good portion of the night drinking. Upon returning home from a night of drinking my grandfather would put all the change in a jar in the chicken coup, he thought grandma would know he had been drinking if he came home with a pocket full of change. When the jar was full he would take it out in the woods and bury it. I know all this to be fact, my mother and uncles all knew of it but never knew where it was buried. This went on for numerous years, now he was born in 1899, started at Continetial somewhere around 1920-1930 so I know all the coins are silver. I know 50 acres is a large piece of property, but I remember as a kid digging worms with my grandfather to be sold and would assume that the buried jars would be close to that spot, as he would leave the shovel their instead of carrying it back and forth to the shed. I'm not sure who owns the property now, but I belive one aunt and one uncle still owns part of the property and to my knowledge nobody has ever found any of it. I also know that he buried a wooden whiskey keg that he put the jars in. If anyone is interested in looking for it PM me and maybe we can hook up and do some research and see if it may still be their.

bigstrapper

Greenie
Apr 12, 2010
Renton, WA.
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey lawnguy,

I currently live out in the Pacific Northwest but grew up in Oceana County, small town of Hart. I also lived in Muskegon out in the Fruitville township on Bard Rd. by the cemetary. I would love to get back there sometime to see family again and bring my equipment back with me to help you out but for now all I can say is research is the biggest thing of all. I'm doing research myself out here on a hopeful find so good luck on the field and right now hope for a warm up from the lake affect snow, yuk, don't miss that stuff one bit.

Gary.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good,

I have a lot of detector, lets get the gang to gather and search the area. will split it. I'm a few hours away, just a thought.

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good field trip would love to join in on it if I can get down that way.

Laddie

Apr 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Lakeside, in muskegon, mi......I would love to come out and help with the search.....unfortunately, I am a newbie to treasure hunting, and have no equipment.....I am a fast learner and a hard worker....If you are interested in a greenhorn helping the cause, please email me at [email protected].

prairiepup

Apr 10, 2012
Nevada
Detector(s) used
ML 4500
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Lawnguy,

Go over to the "Dowsing" section and have Red Desert, Teleprospector or Okiedowser dowse location for you. Might narrow down your search.

PP

detectingsteve

Greenie
Jun 24, 2012
Montague,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for the dry,fisher 1280X with an 8"coil for the WET.........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,detecting steve here,I would love to come hewlp you look for it...i have my 2 detectors with me,I am in Montague until the end of August,ready,able and willing to help you out...steve....

cobrasvo90

Feb 2, 2006
Rio Grande Valley (Pharr), TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Texas but have relatives in Muskegon. Know of a couple of promising spots for detecting in the Hart/Shelby and Ludington areas. As kids my brother and I would venture into the woods finding evidence of old houses. Good luck with locating that cache

william333

Nov 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be glad to help i live in holton mi give me a call 231 220 6043

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 is a very interesting story. That my friends is what I am looking for: True unpublished stories about bury treasures in Connecticut. Family members are great in giving information about bury treasures. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread